Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FOTA wildlife - that poor eagle

• 27-08-2016 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone felt the same way as I do. I have been to FOTA a few times with my kids who are quite young and I am quite saddened in particular with regards to the enclosures for the the sea eagle and the seal (they basically share an enclosure from what I saw). The seal is alone and swimming in circles in quite a small water feature and the sea eagle, which is a huge bird has about 200 metres length to fly and approx 100m height of cage if that. It looks like pure torture. Do they really need to have these creatures as part of an exhibit, particularly a bird of that size.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Have personally not been to FOTA but I always hate seeing seals or other marine creatures in tiny tanks, they always have stereotypical behaviours!:(.
    As for birds of prey well they are by nature very lazy, they will only fly to breed, hunt or defend territory anything else is a waste of energy, given the choice and well fed they will happily just sit on a perch and do nothing until hungry again, that's why falconers have to get their birds very hungry to get them to do anything, otherwise they would just sit on the glove and stare at you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The sea eagles are part of an international breeding program to help reintroduce birds to the wild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

I must say after going a few times and seeing them I feel the same way as you.. The seal looks sad and lonely and the eagle while tis a nice place doesnt look great.. the only thing is then with the Eagle I dont think he would survive outside, and as revolu said they are part of a breeding programme.. Sad that is has come to this but i know a family member well into the birds of prey and he has never said they were badly treated or anything... I would love to see the eagles in a bigger enclosure though the space is there for it

Advertisement