Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volkswagen GTE owners?

• 27-08-2016 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Anyone own the Golf or Passat GTE? I'm considering purchasing the Passat GTE. Any advice welcome on this. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Passat is a fair bit bigger than a golf obviously.
    Have you contacted any dealers to see if any demos to drive? That would be a start as you may not like the feel/ drive.
    These type of cars are really only efficient for certain drivers i.e. No good if you are pounding motorways day in day out but good if you drive urban and countryside and have facility to charge the car.
    I recently bought a plug in hybrid and am loving it but they're not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭forumdedum

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Passat is a fair bit bigger than a golf obviously.
    Have you contacted any dealers to see if any demos to drive? That would be a start as you may not like the feel/ drive.
    These type of cars are really only efficient for certain drivers i.e. No good if you are pounding motorways day in day out but good if you drive urban and countryside and have facility to charge the car.
    I recently bought a plug in hybrid and am loving it but they're not for everyone.

My last car was an A4 so size is similar. I have test driven a Diesel Passat a while back, liked it.

I would install a charger at my house. I drive max 80 miles per day and 3/4 of that is Motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

If I was you so I would take a test drive in one along your usual route and see what you thought. I imagine a dealer would be happy to allow this for you as these cars are not entirely mainstream yet and have to fit a drivers needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Was able to test drive the Golf GTE (Passat GTE wasn't available). Was a short spin but I was extremely impressed with this version of the Golf. I think I'm a bit too grown up now for a descendant of the GTI (& indeed the Tartan seats) but so tempted :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

forumdedum wrote: »
    My last car was an A4 so size is similar. I have test driven a Diesel Passat a while back, liked it.

I would install a charger at my house. I drive max 80 miles per day and 3/4 of that is Motorway.

I'd strongly advise that you think again. If 3/4s of your driving is motorway, a PHEV isn't really going to be any more fuel efficient than a diesel. In fact, because the electric motor will find life hard going once you get to motorway speeds, you might find the car doesn't spend much time in EV mode.

If I were a betting man I'd say the diesel will be more economical to run for you (almost certainly cheaper to buy as well) - and this is coming from someone who hates diesels! I'd say stick with the diesel to be honest, the 2.0 TDI 150 is probably a good match for that car (the 1.6 was way too underpowered in the previous model that's for sure).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

I'd strongly advise that you think again. If 3/4s of your driving is motorway, a PHEV isn't really going to be any more fuel efficient than a diesel. In fact, because the electric motor will find life hard going once you get to motorway speeds, you might find the car doesn't spend much time in EV mode.....

A friend of mine bought a fully electric car a few months ago and I was asking him last week how he was getting on.

He loves it and it is very efficient for the 40 mile round trip to work which is all non-motorway. But he did comment that the few times he has taken it out on the motorway, the battery life is brutal and he felt it is just not suitable for it at all. They have a 2nd car in the family which is a standard diesel which they will always use for any motorway trips now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Wagon or saloon? If saloon, may I ask if you've considered the BMW 330e? In my opinion it's a far better proposition than the GTE - it's fantastic value too after SEAI grand and VAT discount applied.

Advertisement