Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs v Liverpool, SS1, 12.30pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

This game of football has not been easy on the eyes. Hopefully it gets better in the second half.

With two sides who press as hard as these two you're not gonna get peak Barca. Its been exciting and full of action tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

5starpool wrote: »
    I'd hate to see how upset you get at decisions against your own team not getting given seeing as you are so upset now on Spurs behalf. Only 4 more hours to go.

I hate bad decisions regardless of who is playing. Especially ones that change games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If he let them take the quick free kick and they scored people would be moaning that he didn't block the quick free.

Sure but given the free kick was inside Spurs own half, the danger was low.

Anyway after a dodgy opening 10 mins Liverpool have certainly been the better side, just a pity Coutinho didn't bury that early chance. Oh and obviously a blatant peno denied.

Matip has done okay on his PL debut, some of his passing looks wayward but that because he expects players to be making runs down the flanks, it'll take a game or two before he stops trying! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Matip-Janssen incident is a pickle. I don't think it was a pen but I'd have put my house on it being given.
    Matip stands his ground, Janssen runs into him and then wraps his hands around him, Matip originally had his arms by Janssen's belly and only then raises them up. But from the ref's side he wouldn't have seen Janssen's hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

the ref will get spurs level,ive no doubt,diving everywhere a challenge is made,wont get called on it coz their english

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

If he let them take the quick free kick and they scored people would be moaning that he didn't block the quick free.

I understand why people do cynical pullbacks to stop counterattacks, but there was no danger there. Stupid really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Jayop wrote: »
    LOL what are you on about? The one the player was grabbed and blocked off well inside the box? Stonewall

A block is not a pen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

That Coutinho one on one chance is a terrible miss, absolutely awful.......have to put them away...

Mane though. What a player so far. Just shows what pace can do for you in a side.

niallo27 wrote: »
    A block is not a pen.

Good grief. He put his arms around him man. Open your eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I hate bad decisions regardless of who is playing. Especially ones that change games.

Why do you feel the need to keep going on about it though? The penalty thing I thought they were holding each other. Seen them given, seen them not. Same as the Liverpool earlier claim. I have no problem with the ref warning them and retaking the kick, but seen them given, especially recently.

Why do you feel the need to keep going on about it though? The penalty thing I thought they were holding each other. Seen them given, seen them not. Same as the Liverpool earlier claim. I have no problem with the ref warning them and retaking the kick, but seen them given, especially recently.

I'm replying to posts where I've been quoted. That's not going on about it, it's how forums work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

NukaCola wrote: »
    That Coutinho one on one chance is a terrible miss, absolutely awful.......have to put them away...

It's one of those in which he should have done better, but also did enough to beat the keeper most times. It was a very good save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

A block is not a pen.

Have to agree here I mean does the spurs player expect the Liverpool player to just move out if his way. Run around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    With two sides who press as hard as these two you're not gonna get peak Barca. Its been exciting and full of action tho.

I don't know which part has been exciting. I think both sides are spoiling the game just trying to stop each other playing. There is no pattern. I'm not looking for Barca either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Spurs so lucky the ref didn't award them a stonewall pen at nil nil. I'm sure they feel blessed.

You must be a Spurs fan considering how aggrieved you seem to be?

I wouldn't suggest the Matip one is stone wall either. Probably is a penalty but it can be seen either way.

Mane though. What a player so far. Just shows what pace can do for you in a side.

Best attacker and defender for us nearly, been everywhere. Needs to be careful though with his challenges. Sturridge to come on and the winner after Spurs equalise.

Good grief. He put his arms around him man. Open your eyes.

Stop will ya. They were both at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Lamela unlucky but it was a penalty. Could have easily been a penalty for Matip holding onto Janssen but then again Verthonghen had done similar to Matip down the other end during a corner. 1-0 seems like a fair reflection of the game so far.

Not completely sold on Matip so far, have a feeling he could have a mistake in him and he has given away possession needlessly on a couple of occasions. Wijnaldum and Firmino have been very quiet. Mane will need to watch himself in the second half or he could get sent off, him and Rose are having a good battle down that side of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

SantryRed wrote: »
    You must be a Spurs fan considering how aggrieved you seem to be?

I wouldn't suggest the Matip one is stone wall either. Probably is a penalty but it can be seen either way.

Actually would the Matip one not be an indirect free-kick for obstruction or is that no longer a rule?

• Advertisement

So why aren't you talking about the one for Liverpool that wasn't given?

It's one of those in which he should have done better, but also did enough to beat the keeper most times. It was a very good save.

Completely scuffed his shot, GK done well to get to it........I know what your saying but Coutinho has the ability to do far better and thats so annoying

Both calls that weren't given as penalties could have been given, but there's very little chance that either would have been, I think it's easy to see both sides on the two challenges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd bring Lucas on and take Wijnaldum off. He has offered absolutely nothing in fairness.

He'll score a goal right away now. :pac:

Lamela unlucky but it was a penalty. Could have easily been a penalty for Matip holding onto Janssen but then again Verthonghen had done similar to Matip down the other end during a corner. 1-0 seems like a fair reflection of the game so far.

Not completely sold on Matip so far, have a feeling he could have a mistake in him and he has given away possession needlessly on a couple of occasions. Wijnaldum and Firmino have been very quiet. Mane will need to watch himself in the second half or he could get sent off, him and Rose are having a good battle down that side of the pitch.

I think Firmino has been our best player after Mane, he's creating so much space and he should have two assists instead of one.

Matip to me looks ridic assured in possession and has done a good job defensively. I'm sure he'll make mistakes but every player does.

Very happy with how we've played. Tho I still think Milner offers little at left back.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    So why aren't you talking about the one for Liverpool that wasn't given?

Serious question, was the ball in play at the corner? I can't remember but if the ball wasn't in play it can't be a pen. If it was then after past week it possibly should have been given.

They're really reaching to get Mané sent off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Rose trying to get Mané sent off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mane must really have it in for Danny Rose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Mane should be off filthy tackle ref is a bottler

Mané will get a second yellow at some point in the second half

Should have been a foul against Mane there, but not a card. Needs to be careful though really. Can see Klopp taking him off maybe.

Ref bottling not giving Mane the aul second yella there.

I'd take him off. Next challenge he is off. Spurs team are in the refs ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Rose trying to get Mane sent off here. Needs to be very careful now though.

• Advertisement

Mané will be off with the next incident, whether it's a foul or not.

davycc wrote: »
    Mane should be off filthy tackle ref is a bottler

Filthy? There was no contact with his foot. Should have been a foul, that's it.

Rose wriggling around on the floor is a disgrace after that to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Targeting Mane here

Has a touch of the Connolly about him

Klopp needs to tell Mane not to leave his feet for the next 45 mins.

• Advertisement

Lol rose trying to get Mane sent off. Looks more like manes doing that all by himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is the great hype now over for Dele Alli

Spurs are a big team. You wouldn't tell with how easy they go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mane taken out off the ball, but no way will the "neutrals" go up in arms about that, doesn't fit their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Eriksen given too much time there..liverpool lucky he's off form

NukaCola wrote: »
    Rose wriggling around on the floor is a disgrace after that to be honest

And Mane doing the same?

This ref has been absolute garbage for both teams.

Why isnt Hendo in the refs ear there?

Don't like the face holding when there is no contact. Stop doing that Sadio please.

Lol rose trying to get Mane sent off. Looks more like manes doing that all by himself.

In fairness there was no need for rose to leave the field.

• Advertisement
Advertisement