Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ETB Interview again

Options
  • 27-08-2016 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Okay, I recently received the result of two separate ETB interviews. One was for a particular course in a particular college. It said "Your name has been included on a panel, which may be used to fill any vacancies that arise in this subject area for the current academic session"

I gather from this that either the post is filled or was never really there and it's just a formality.

I emailed the ETB and asked had the post now been filled and would it be possible to know what number I was on the panel but I got no reply at all.

I have now been invited for interview for the same college for teaching a course which is very very similar to the one I was already interviewed for!
    Question: Why do they need to interview me again? Can they not just pull from the panel? Is there a job at all?

Now to the other interview I also got the result of:
    "I am delighted to inform you that you have been placed on the Further Education and Training Part-time Tutor Panel for the following subject area(s):"

I have looked up all the courses currently being offered for 2016/17 and there is none for the topic I was interested in teaching so I guess that was a waste of time. Yet I have been asked to provide all kinds of documentation and get forms signed by legal signatories etc. etc. Seems an awful waste of time!

Any advice on what the blazes is going on! Obviously they won't tell me!
    I really don't want to go through all the hassle of another interview for nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

This happened me, except it was for secondary. I interviewed for a job and got placed on a panel. Then a few weeks later, saw the exact same subjects being advertised, even though I was #1 on the panel. When I contacted them, it turned out to be a mistake and I got the job.

If the courses aren't the exact same, they probably have to advertise. You'll be in a good position after having done the interviews before. Go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

The same thing happened me. I arrived at the school second time around for an "interview" which basically turned into a well here's your timetable, books, classes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    The same thing happened me. I arrived at the school second time around for an "interview" which basically turned into a well here's your timetable, books, classes etc.

Be sure to ask to see your contract before starting. Some folk on here understood the contract to be one thing but after starting and turning down other jobs they found out to be something completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Be sure to ask to see your contract before starting. Some folk on here understood the contract to be one thing but after starting and turning down other jobs they found out to be something completely different.

This actually happened last year. It was a fixed term contract so it was grand. Thanks for the heads up though. I could definitely see that happening in some places.

Advertisement