Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sydney Rose Irish Times Article

• 27-08-2016 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/inside-the-rose-of-tralee-it-s-like-a-kate-middleton-impersonation-competition-1.2769478
    Before I go on stage at the Rose of Tralee my big worry is dancing the samba. My opinions about women’s reproductive rights, and by extension about the eighth amendment to Ireland’s Constitution – are solid, formed when I was a teenager. But samba I started only six months ago.

As I walk out I imagine my white-girl hip-and-hand actions ricocheting around Twitter’s echo chamber of amateur comedians for a couple of hours before I fade into obscurity. Afterwards I come off stage sweating in my puffy rental dress, hoping I’ve kept my legs straight and my hips back. The hard part, I think to myself, is over.

Fair Play to her. The Rose of Tralee has given her a platform for womens rights even if it terrified and horrified the organisers.

Shes a breath of fresh air and hopefully it gives a the country the kick it needs to grow up and stop exporting this issue.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Of course, they all have lovely bottoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Is that the whole paper or just one article?

Either way, C'mon man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

She was lovely but was she fair? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

'Twas not her beauty alone that won me. Oh, no, 'twas the truth in her eyes every dawning that made me love Brianna, the Rose of Sydney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Can't wait for the multi quote analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So once again the question arises, are you/she in favour of the UK style system of abortion on demand for anyone or only in the case of fatal foetal abnormality and physical danger to the mothers life?
    For every woman that decides they need to. Those that disagree for whatever personal religious, moral or ethical reasons can, as ever, take comfort in the fact that abortion won't be compulsory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

So once again the question arises, are you/she in favour of the UK style system of abortion on demand for anyone or only in the case of fatal foetal abnormality and physical danger to the mothers life?

Nobody is in favour of abortion,sometimes it's necessary and we need to grow up and stop exporting our problems.

See,simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

UK-style, all the way. If any female.I know wishes to make that choice, I would rather they could do so at home than have to jump on a plane and do it afraid and alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

When my grandparents swapped their family and friends Dublin’s dance halls for the dusty sprawl of Sydney’s west they did it to give their children and grandchildren a better chance.

It paid off. In two short generations I become the first in my family to have a university degree. It’s not because I’m particularly smart or ambitious. I’m just the first generation of my family’s women to have a real choice about when to start a family.

She's the same age as my eldest, who's the third generation to have a university degree. My parents both grew up on farms and stayed in Ireland, so how exactly did her grandparents' choice pay off? Sounds like she's got a lot of chips on her shoulders.

However, if what she says about the way the "cull" was handled and recorded is correct, I reckon there'll be some ass-kicking going on behind closed doors during the debrief meetings. And maybe the Sydney Rose Centre will be asked to explain how they picked someone who was obviously a mis-fit from the outset.

Having their phones taken and told they can't go out sounds not unlike detention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

She's just p1ssed off that she didn't win. Jaysus the rose of Tralee was really hijacked this year, two moany roses and some Brendan Grace lookalike shouting about what sounded like justice for farmers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

She's the same age as my eldest, who's the third generation to have a university degree. My parents both grew up on farms and stayed in Ireland, so how exactly did her grandparents' choice pay off? Sounds like she's got a lot of chips on her shoulders.

However, if what she says about the way the "cull" was handled and recorded is correct, I reckon there'll be some ass-kicking going on behind closed doors during the debrief meetings. And maybe the Sydney Rose Centre will be asked to explain how they picked someone who was obviously a mis-fit from the outset.

Well said - big time has a chip on her shoulder. Sound similar to that lady Una Mullaly (I think that's her name) who writes for The Times - always engaging in victim type behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

"I'd like to see world peace, and dead babies, but mostly world peace" (simpers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

I don't get why she entered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Sam Kade wrote:
    She's just p1ssed off that she didn't win.

Nah, not buying that going by the two roses description of events. Sounds to me like rte looking for viewers caused this. Falling viewing numbers not good for rtes income..and they have been falling year on year. They wanted some drama for the road to the dome program. Backfired slightly on them and the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So you enter the Rose of Tralee and one of things to have a chance of winning is to be not controversial, do what is expected of you and she seemed to have problems with all of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

vkid wrote: »
    Nah, not buying that going by the two roses description of events.

Assuming the other one you're referring to is the Down Rose, she said that she'd had the time of her life until the selection process, which does appear to have been badly mismanaged.

I'd say it was more to do with funding than viewing figures. No doubt RTE paid handsomely for the right to get cameras behind the scenes. Were the RoT organisers really calling the shots or had they sold their soul to the TV devil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

If she wasn't prepared to just shut up and look lovely, she shouldn't have entered a lovely girls competition..

There's a time and a place for everything..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Shes a breath of fresh air and hopefully it gives a the country the kick it needs to grow up and stop exporting this issue.

Or maybe she should just leave the issue out of it and raise it elsewhere. It is supposed to be a festival of fun and not political agendas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Or maybe she should just leave the issue out of it and raise it elsewhere. It is supposed to be a festival of fun and not political agendas.

But they were asked their opinion on it during the group interviews. The festival brought it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

"It's time to give women a say on their own reproductive rights, and I'd love to see a referendum on the 8th."

Wow. Controversial stuff. A woman with an opinion? On her own bodily autonomy? We can't be having that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It's supposed to be a festival of Irishness. To thousands of irish women who have to travel abroad to obtain an abortion it's something very Irish that needs to be discussed and resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

RayM wrote: »
    "It's time to give women a say on their own reproductive rights, and I'd love to see a referendum on the 8th."

Wow. Controversial stuff. A woman with an opinion? On her own bodily autonomy? We can't be having that.

She didn't even say what her view on abortion is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Abort the Rose of Tralee show.

Its long overdue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Christ I can't stand people who talk about two degrees like its some incredible achievement.

Christ I can't stand people who talk about two degrees like its some incredible achievement.

I know.

The Three Degrees,now they were class.

amdublin wrote: »
    She didn't even say what her view on abortion is....

She did, as we all know what 'reproductive rights' means.

RobertKK wrote: »
    She did, as we all know what 'reproductive rights' means.

She was calling for women to have a say on their own reproductive rights. That's hardly controversial, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭The Truth Man

This woman doesn't even live in Ireland, just another extreme Liberal Australian Journalist who is a shill for the pro Abortion campaign, putting politics in something it has no business in.

I don't believe there should be politics involved of any kind. Sadly modern Liberals/Leftists and Feminists are determined to infect absolutely everything with their cause. If it's not the Rose of Tralee, it's sport, video games, TV panel shows, Comedy Central, Hollywood Films, anything they can get their agenda put out through.

• Advertisement

She was calling for women to have a say on their own reproductive rights. That's hardly controversial, is it?

It is actually, look it is creating arguments on this thread. There were four women arguing on the VinB program during the week about the 8th amendment - two in favour, two against.
    It may look straightforward to the people who support 'reproductive rights' but it is controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

This woman doesn't even live in Ireland, just another extreme Liberal Australian Journalist who is a shill for the pro Abortion campaign, putting politics in something it has no business in.

I don't believe there should be politics involved of any kind. Sadly modern Liberals/Leftists and Feminists are determined to infect absolutely everything with their cause. If it's not the Rose of Tralee, it's sport, video games, TV panel shows, Comedy Central, Hollywood Films, anything they can get their agenda put out through.

So, yis are surprised when if you get a gang of women into a room together and ask them about their absolutely uncontroversial* opinions on something that affects Irish women, some of them give, y'know, opinions?

Shocking altogether, Joe, some of them might even have jobs.

*It must be uncontroversial, girls, if you want the pretty crown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Obviously, when asked for opinions on Irish matters, they were to state their preference for Barry's or Lyons tea. God forbid, a woman from outside of Ireland has an opinion on what happens here, you wouldn't see us commenting on any elections going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

She comes across as a moany yolk. Pity the future husband who could have his child killed by her.

(Tongue in cheek joke)

Notice how the pro Abortion supporters, can't even say the word Abortion or Pro Abortion. They prefer to muddy the waters talking about the 8th Amendment or womens rights, something most of them have no clue of or ever read. Most also want Abortion on demand not just an amendment change. The 8th Amendment makes a nice hashtag on their twitter echo chamber though.

Also Pro Choice, and murals saying "Abortion is Love". All sound alot better than terminating the life of an unborn child or aborting, or abortion.

This woman is a disgusting shill, shes not even Irish and she has the nerve to demand we legalize Abortion, even though it will never effect her. I would imagine she only entered to push forward her Abortion agenda, no surprise the Liberal/Feminist mouthpiece the Irish times is giving her an outlet. That rag will probably make her Editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

hairyslug wrote: »
    Obviously, when asked for opinions on Irish matters, they were to state their preference for Barry's or Lyons tea. God forbid, a woman from outside of Ireland has an opinion on what happens here, you wouldn't see us commenting on any elections going on

God forbid any of the ones from inside Ireland has an opinion on what happens either! :pac:

Meh, I have no interest in the Rose of Tralee, it seems a very twee and somewhat ridiculous parade, but who am I to argue with tradition. Fair play to her, she comes over as smart, articulate and opinionated, and I have no issues with any of the three.

• Advertisement

Samaris wrote: »
    So, yis are surprised when if you get a gang of women into a room together and ask them about their absolutely uncontroversial* opinions on something that affects Irish women, some of them give, y'know, opinions?

Shocking altogether, Joe, some of them might even have jobs.

*It must be uncontroversial, girls, if you want the pretty crown!

Shes not an Irish woman. She doesn't even live here, the rest of your post is just juvenile nonsense.

RobertKK wrote: »
    It is actually, look it is creating arguments on this thread. There were four women arguing on the VinB program during the week about the 8th amendment - two in favour, two against.
    It may look straightforward to the people who support 'reproductive rights' but it is controversial.

But how is there anything contentious about the idea of women having a say on their reproductive rights? It's not like she went on stage and said "Repeal the 8th!"

Samaris wrote: »
    God forbid any of the ones from inside Ireland has an opinion on what happens either! :pac:

Meh, I have no interest in the Rose of Tralee, it seems a very twee and somewhat ridiculous parade, but who am I to argue with tradition. Fair play to her, she comes over as smart, articulate and opinionated, and I have no issues with any of the three.
    You have no issues because she supports your Liberal agenda.

Does the Rose of Tralee encourage all Political views or just those pushed by Liberals?

"Shill" is a dangerous word to use - definition: an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler who poses as a genuine customer to entice or encourage others.

This woman had an opinion on a law she considers unjust. One isn't allowed such an opinion?

Presumably this whole controversy will go the way of others that had cruel controlling conservatives in a screaming rant over the years: divorce, corporal punishment in schools, gay marriage, the mini skirt, contraception, jazz dancing…

Notice how the pro Abortion supporters, can't even say the word Abortion or Pro Abortion.
    Yeah "bodily autonomy" and "bodily integrity" and "her/my body, my choice" - disingenuous phrases in my opinion.

Although I am pro choice - don't like the idea of abortion and completely against it after eight weeks but it is necessary at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's not politics though. It's a rights issue.

Yeah "bodily autonomy" and "bodily integrity" and "her/my body, my choice" - disingenuous phrases in my opinion.

You don't think you should have autonomy over your own body?

Grayson wrote: »

Abortion not a political issue, theres a new one.

Absolutely absurd nonsense.

Chuchote wrote: »
    You don't think you should have autonomy over your own body?
    Well I didn't actually say that :) what I meant was it's a phrase used to mask "terminating a pregnancy" at times. Why not just come out and say that?

Notice how the pro Abortion supporters, can't even say the word Abortion or Pro Abortion. They prefer to muddy the waters talking about the 8th Amendment or womens rights, something most of them have no clue of or ever read. Most also want Abortion on demand not just an amendment change. The 8th Amendment makes a nice hashtag on their twitter echo chamber though.

Also Pro Choice, and murals saying "Abortion is Love". All sound alot better than terminating the life of an unborn child or aborting, or abortion.

This woman is a disgusting shill, shes not even Irish and she has the nerve to demand we legalize Abortion, even though it will never effect her. I would imagine she only entered to push forward her Abortion agenda, no surprise the Liberal/Feminist mouthpiece the Irish times is giving her an outlet. That rag will probably make her Editor.

So much hatred. You think some girl in Australia actually entered a little competition over there to get the chance to talk about abortion for a few seconds on stage?

I don't see you complaining about the fact that the Iona institute have a paid writer who publishes weekly in the Irish times.

And you certainly don't care about the women who have been denied live saving treatment in Ireland.

But how is there anything contentious about the idea of women having a say on their reproductive rights? It's not like she went on stage and said "Repeal the 8th!"

The thing is if you say what will replace the 8th amendment, the people who support abortion either say nothing should or have no answer.
    A lot of the most vocal on the 8th amendment want abortion to be allowed for any reason, this is why the debate on the 8th amendment itself is controversial as in if it was removed, what protections would both the mother and her unborn have.
    A lot of people don't want the 8th amendment repealed, or if it was would want to know what would replace it.
    The 'repeal the 8th' is just a slogan with no answers, and has made itself controversial.

It's a political issue, because a referendum is needed. It's a rights issue because the amendment - whether intended to do so or not - deprived women of the right to bodily autonomy, with doctors too terrified of the ultra-Catholic right to perform an abortion even in cases like the tragedies of the last few years.

Grayson wrote: »

Removing the rights of the unborn which gives the right to life to the mother and her unborn.

Abortion not a political issue, theres a new one.

Absolutely absurd nonsense.

Human rights, and it is a human right as stated by the EU and UN, are not political issues. They shouldn't be treated as such.

It is however a political issue for the religious right in Ireland. They are the only group that pressure political parties to prevent people from getting basic human rights. It's not a political issue for everyone else because they don't see human rights as something to be played with.

Chuchote wrote: »
    "Shill" is a dangerous word to use - definition: an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler who poses as a genuine customer to entice or encourage others.

This woman had an opinion on a law she considers unjust. One isn't allowed such an opinion?

Presumably this whole controversy will go the way of others that had cruel controlling conservatives in a screaming rant over the years: divorce, corporal punishment in schools, gay marriage, the mini skirt, contraception, jazz dancing…

Shill is a "dangerous" word now according to Liberals. Another to add the list of words Liberal Fascists don't allow I suppose. Modern Liberals are more authoritarian than conservatives ever have been actually. The irony of your post is obviously lost on you.

The Rose of Tralee should not be an outlet for Political agendas. If it is, is it only fashionable Liberal agendas allowed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement