Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Boxes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Postboxes are marked on Openstreetmap.org by a red envelope symbol, albeit that's obviously subject to somebody having covered the area you are in.

Ordinance Survey maps also have post box locations though of course they're not online.

On the An Post website/app would of course be much more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

xper wrote: »
    Ordinance Survey maps also have post box locations though of course they're not online.
    No Ordnance Survey map I've ever seen, and that's a few, has post boxes marked on them. Post Offices, yes, but not post boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

I was thinking of the town maps rather than the discovery series scale but I am just going on memory so I may be wrong about what's on printed maps.

Anyway, I was certainly wrong about OSI maps not being online. They do of course have an online map and it does in fact have post boxes marked, if you zoom in all the way, again using envelope symbols like openstreetmap.org. Possibly the same data source.
    Example in Dun Laoghaire.

Anyway, I was certainly wrong about OSI maps not being online. They do of course have an online map and it does in fact have post boxes marked, if you zoom in all the way, again using envelope symbols like openstreetmap.org. Possibly the same data source.
    I know about that resource, and I did in fact check first before posting by checking if the only post box I know of local to me was on it, and it isn't. Nor is it on Openstreetmap.

It's here, by the way ...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.1964612,-6.124451,3a,90y,272.76h,85.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWnztTcH4b-F5c487k_00_w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Alun wrote: »
    I know about that resource, and I did in fact check first before posting by checking if the only post box I know of local to me was on it, and it isn't. Nor is it on Openstreetmap.

It's here, by the way ...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.1964612,-6.124451,3a,90y,272.76h,85.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWnztTcH4b-F5c487k_00_w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Thanks Alun.

That postbox is in excellent example of what I am talking about. It's green, against a background of a hedge. It's on the opposite side of the road to the one most people walk on. It's on a road with row pedestrian traffic too.

It is not designed or located to catch the eye or where people would be walking past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Another Bray example. This OSM link shows two postboxes about a 2-minute walk apart. One is surely superfluous.

Both of them close to the train station but neither of them actually at the train station which gets thousands of users on a weekday.

Bray Head wrote: »
    Another Bray example. This OSM link shows two postboxes about a 2-minute walk apart. One is surely superfluous.

Both of them close to the train station but neither of them actually at the train station which gets thousands of users on a weekday.
    The one on the sea front has an Out of Service notice on it.

Advertisement