Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Astra or mazda3

• 27-08-2016 1:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭

2010 1.7 Sri cdti astra or 2011 1.6 diesel Mazda 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Don't know much about the Astra but I have read on here that Mazda diesels from around that time are terrible. I'd go for a Civic personally.

Do you definitely need a diesel? What sort of annual mileage do you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Don't know much about the Astra but I have read on here that Mazda diesels from around that time are terrible. I'd go for a Civic personally.

That Mazda 3 will have PSA 1.6 hdi unit which can be troublesome bit still a long way off being as bad as Mazda's own 2.0 and 2.2 units.

Op out of those 2 cars I'd go for the Mazda but if reliability is high on your list of priorities I'd second the above advice of a civic or else I'd go for a facelift 2011-2013 corolla Luna 1.4 d4d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Those astra's are an underrated car. Quiet, decent chassis and the engine is old but reliable. The only real worry is the m32 gearbox, but if that was it I'd be tempted to go with one over the PSA 1.6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is it the newer or older model Astra? Both were sold in 2010.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is it the newer or older model Astra? Both were sold in 2010.

New model astra.

• Advertisement

Not sure if I do need a diesel. 30km roundtrip to work daily, not much, plus weekend trips.

Drove a civic at weekend and didn't care for it.

Out of interest how did you arrive at those two models, what criteria are you using?

Out of interest how did you arrive at those two models, what criteria are you using?

Mid size hatchback is all really

There are alot of other similar cars out there in that class to look at too - VW Golf, Ford Focus, Toyota Auris, Honda Civic, Hyundai i30, Kia Ceed, etc.

There are alot of other similar cars out there in that class to look at too - VW Golf, Ford Focus, Toyota Auris, Honda Civic, Hyundai i30, Kia Ceed, etc.

Golf, civic, auria, hyandai. Kia have all been ruled out.

Focus hasn't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

If you are writing off that diesel engine,
    You're writing off
    Peugeot
    Citroën
    Ford
    Volvo
    Mazda
    Mini...
    Any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

If you are writing off that diesel engine,
    You're writing off
    Peugeot
    Citroën
    Ford
    Volvo
    Mazda
    Mini...
    Any more?
    I didn't write anything off I was just going by what I have read. Johnboy has already explained that this particular engine is not one of the bad ones.

I shouldn't need to explain this to you as it has already been posted but there you go.

I shouldn't need to explain this to you
    Honesty, you're grand, no thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

johnmck wrote: »
    2010 1.7 Sri cdti astra or 2011 1.6 diesel Mazda 3

As far as I can see, the much better 8 valve HDI was put into Mazda3 since 2011... You'd need to verify if the Mazda in question comes with it is the 8V or 16V.

The 16V is very fragile and does not tolerate any service skipping... 8V is much better:
    * the injector seals don't loosen as easily as with 16V
    * this massively reduces the amount of sludge buildup
    * oil starvation is much less probable...

If it is the 8V, I'd be tempted to get the Mazda. If it is 16V, save yourself a trouble and get much more boring Astra.

grogi wrote: »
    As far as I can see, the much better 8 valve HDI was put into Mazda3 since 2011... You'd need to verify if the Mazda in question comes with it is the 8V or 16V.

The 16V is very fragile and does not tolerate any service skipping... 8V is much better:
    * the injector seals don't loosen as easily as with 16V
    * this massively reduces the amount of sludge buildup
    * oil starvation is much less probable...

Good to know, I wasn't aware of that!

In the Mazda3 the older 16v is 110bhp and 5 speed, the newer 8v is 115bhp and 6 speed afaik.

Advertisement