Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only gestational sac seen on scan. Any experience of this?

Options
  • 27-08-2016 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Has anyone here ever had a scan at 6 weeks from LMP....and only a gestational sac was seen?

I'm trying to figure out how likely it is that everything is okay.

My last period date is definitely correct and was 6 weeks prior to the scan.

A small amount of sub chorionic blood was also seen on the scan which has me worried, although I haven't experienced any actual bleeding.

The sonographer didn't give any indication either way of what the outcome might be and recommended another scan in 7-10 days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

That's quite common as far as I know, that's all that's visible at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

At 5 w 5 days all that could be seen on mine was a yolk sac and foetal pole. I was rescanned about 3/4 days later after another bleed and there was a heartbeat then so few can make a big difference.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Could you have ovulated late? When I was pregnant with my son I had a scan at 6+2 and there was a tiny sac visible. Went back 2 weeks later and they scanned again, could see the embryo, and worked out that my dates were off even though my period date was definite, and I was actually 6+4 approx at the second scan. They reckon I ovulated slightly later than usual. However, at that early stage, it's not unusual for there not to be too much visible.

Also, how long are your cycles usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

A lot of early scan places will not scan until 7 weeks as the fetal heart beat my not yet be visible and this can cause a lot of worry. Seeing the sac is a good sign. Have the suggested a rescan in a few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

This is very common as far as I know.
    I was the same, my actual date from l.m.p. had me at 6+2 and was scanned that day and only a sac seen.
    Scanned the following week at 7+2 and a little flicker of a heartbeat was seen.
    I'm 23 weeks now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Betty5

Thanks for all of the replies.
    Unfortunately the pregnancy wasn't meant to be and ended in miscarriage shortly after that scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Very sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Betty5 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the replies.
    Unfortunately the pregnancy wasn't meant to be and ended in miscarriage shortly after that scan.

Aw Betty, I'm so sorry to hear that doll. Take care of yourself xxxx

Advertisement