Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Think my parents have been done by a Toyota dealer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I saw a 98 rav 4 yesterday with a tow bar. The rav 4 had no rust but the towbar was completely rusted with flakes of rust coming off it with the name plate intact. Doesn't say much for geniune toyota tow bars.

All towbars rust eventually. If that is on it since 1998 it's going to have rust on it by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Some of the posts are useful, helpful and informative and contribute to the discussion and the OP's query, but you're right a lot of them are like yours.

Great you understood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Some of the posts are useful, helpful and informative and contribute to the discussion and the OP's query, but you're right a lot of them are like yours.

mmeeeeeee-oooooowwwww!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    All towbars rust eventually. If that is on it since 1998 it's going to have rust on it by now.

Rotten with rust after 18 years, of course there will be a certain amount of rust on them but this one was flaking. Do you understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

This is very strange thread, 18 year old tow bars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Rotten with rust after 18 years, of course there will be a certain amount of rust on them but this one was flaking. Do you understand?

Perfectly well actually. Arguing that a soon to be 20 year old tow bar shouldn't have much rust on it, especially without considering other factors is a bit on the ignorant side imo.

An 18 year old tow bar will be rusty no matter what brand it is. These are made of different metal to a cars chassis and they wont be treated to the same level of rust protection so rust, even flakes of rust are inevitable eventually, especially if it's been exposed to salt, Im sure it has to have been at some stage in 18 years, for all you know it could of been used to tow a boat in and out of the sea). The metal in these is strong though so even if there is rust on the towbar it shouldn't be rotten for a long, long time even if it looks poor visually.

I've seen much newer towbars with a lot of rust on them tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Only seeing this thread now ha, I fitted a rowboat and harness to a new Corolla this morning, should of took a photo! This is indeed a genuine towbar, probably a genuine harness too as main dealers are accountable for any related warranty repairs caused by non genuine parts fitted, if authorised by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

On the other hand, you have dealers fitting heated seats, leather and even aftermarket sun roofs to new cars before the customer ever sees it. Not a hope I would be accepting anything other than floor mats that didn't have the manufacturer stamp on them.

I'm very familiar with the level of engineering and quality control that OEM's enforce on themselves and also Tier 1 and 2 suppliers and I would be accepting nothing less on a new car. Anything else is a complete fudge of a job in comparison to what should be expected by the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    I fitted a rowboat and harness to a new Corolla this morning, should of took a photo!

Would love to see a photo of a rowboat and harness fitted to a new Corolla, must be quite the sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Not a hope I would be accepting anything other than floor mats that didn't have the manufacturer stamp on them.

So you'd only accept spurious floor mats with your new car?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Hey guys

Would appreciate a big help as my parents have gone berserk

My dad landed back with a 162 Corolla today from the garage.

He suspects that the dealer installed a genuine towbar, but a 3rd party wiring loom. Though he's not sure if the towbar is even genuine

I'd be really grateful if someone could show me a picture of the real deal so I could compare - and hopefully save world war 3 from breaking out this weekend.

Thank you all in advance!

doubtful you'll be changing your username to "one more toyota"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Needles73 wrote: »
    Again what's 20k got to do with the actual margin a dealer will make. Dealers are making SFA on a new Corolla. Flash showrooms and suits hide the reality that car dealers are not as profitable as you think. No one forced anyone into a dealer for an overpriced tow bar

If people don't buy a new Corolla and spend 20k in the process then the dealer has zero margin, thats the point. Then they downsize, drop staff and eventually close up, as evidenced from 2009 on.
    I never said they were hugely profitable. I just said stop ripping people off with disgustingly overpriced extras just so you can bump up your own profit.

We are all aware that no one is forced to buy anything. But we all know that there are decent people out there who wouldn't dream of questioning something like this and just pay up everytime. These dealers are preying on people like this. If they are going to take the piss, then imo the prospective buyer might as well try their hand at it too. If you have 20k ready to splurge on a new car, YOU are in the driving seat with these lads. YOU are doing them the favour. Don't like what they have to offer, theres another dozen Toyota places in the vicinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Agricola wrote: »
    If people don't buy a new Corolla and spend 20k in the process then the dealer has zero margin, thats the point. Then they downsize, drop staff and eventually close up, as evidenced from 2009 on.
    I never said they were hugely profitable. I just said stop ripping people off with disgustingly overpriced extras just so you can bump up your own profit.

We are all aware that no one is forced to buy anything. But we all know that there are decent people out there who wouldn't dream of questioning something like this and just pay up everytime. These dealers are preying on people like this. If they are going to take the piss, then imo the prospective buyer might as well try their hand at it too. If you have 20k ready to splurge on a new car, YOU are in the driving seat with these lads. YOU are doing them the favour. Don't like what they have to offer, theres another dozen Toyota places in the vicinity.

Tow bar advertised for 800. Fitted for 800. It's a tow bar. People need to worry about bigger things. I fully agree the dealer charged a crazy price but equally I'd argue there is nothing wrong with what's fitted. Business's prey on people all the time but I don't think it has happened here . Like most things it's in the extras that people make the money. Why would a dealer be any different to any other company : ie pc world, DFS, Harvey Norman etc. And I am sure there are not a dozen other Toyota dealers in there vicinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

when insurance companys ask has your vechicle been modified / adapted does a tow bar on it mean you should be saying yes to this ?

robbie1977 wrote: »
    when insurance companys ask has your vechicle been modified / adapted does a tow bar on it mean you should be saying yes to this ?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Jesus how does this thread still have life!😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

robbie1977 wrote: »

You need to declare anything that isn't on that model in the brochure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

8 pages about a towbar.
    **** me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

bear1 wrote: »
    8 pages about a towbar.
    **** me.

Hey, when you gotta tow, you gotta tow :D

Needles - Your argument is basically "It's capitalism, deal with it" It's the same thinking behind why an elderly relative of mine who lives in London, pays through the nose anytime she walks through the door of the Vauxhall dealership where she bought her car. If people are fool enough to pay, lets charge them. Grand. Not to my taste is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

8 pages about a towbar.
    **** me.

3 for me

Mc Love wrote: »
    3 for me

11 for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Depends if you are on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Surely we can get this to 20 pages? We need to know what happened in the end. Someone send for the OP.i have questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

8 pages about a towbar.
    **** me.

They have about 400 regarding Mayo football??

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

McGaggs wrote: »
    You need to declare anything that isn't on that model in the brochure.

Where do you draw the line?

Mintex brake pads instead of Toyota, Bridgestone Tyres instead of the OE Michelins.

Nodding dog on the rear shelf?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

DakarVert wrote: »
    Where do you draw the line?

Mintex brake pads instead of Toyota, Bridgestone Tyres instead of the OE Michelins.

Nodding dog on the rear shelf?

Magic tree!

Would roof racks invalidate a fire claim? :D:confused:;) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Magic tree!

Would roof racks invalidate a fire claim? :D:confused:;) :pac:

Would depend on how many bottles of napalm you had strapped to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

What page are we on now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

8 pages about a towbar.
    **** me.

No disrespect, but I have found this thread interesting, all the different opinions ...

It probally going off topic, but I note that main car dealers are always perceived to be rip off merchants.

Recently I was pricing a furniture suite, made by lebus, a U.K. Company. I was quoted €2547 for the suite in an independent furniture shop and could not do it a penny less. Went into another independent furniture shop 60miles away and was quoted €1815 for the same suite, not of case of one having stock etc, both said they would have to order in from uk, both had display suites.

So what is the story with rip off republic there, margins etc , what is a fair profit margin??

There is no way the Toyota dealer would have that kind of profit margin that shop A are having on their suites and dealers are perceived as being rip off merchants ....funny the furniture industry I have never heard being classed as being over charging .....

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

Hard to see what the big issue is?

If he came on about getting fog lights fitted or something and was given some sort of bodge job with a switch under the dash, then he'd be told to complain.

If the towbar wiring is connected using a bypass relay, he has major grounds for complaint, not so much on price, but on damage to car.

If it is wired as per manufacturers instructions to the car then, no cause for complaint. He was quoted a price and paid it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

clogher71 wrote: »

Recently I was pricing a furniture suite, made by lebus, a U.K. Company. I was quoted €2547 for the suite in an independent furniture shop and could not do it a penny less. Went into another independent furniture shop 60miles away and was quoted €1815 for the same suite, not of case of one having stock etc, both said they would have to order in from uk, both had display suites.

So what is the story with rip off republic there, margins etc , what is a fair profit margin??

There is no way the Toyota dealer would have that kind of profit margin that shop A are having on their suites and dealers are perceived as being rip off merchants ....funny the furniture industry I have never heard being classed as being over charging .....

Not as easy to compare like for like I'd imagine.

Most things you can buy in Ireland are cheaper elsewhere. Sometimes significantly so.

I'm not sure why. Perhaps cost of doing business here. Profiteering. Logistics of getting product to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

FrontDoor wrote: »
    Not as easy to compare like for like I'd imagine.

Most things you can buy in Ireland are cheaper elsewhere. Sometimes significantly so.

I'm not sure why. Perhaps cost of doing business here. Profiteering. Logistics of getting product to Ireland.

I am comparing like with like, exact same suite, shops are in ROI the suite is manafactured in the uk. To add a NI retailer quoted £1350 for the suite, which is more in line with shop B prices, shop A is taking a large profit margin on a suite the sales person says is a good seller for them.

Must look up to see how much Toyota uk has up for the price of the towbar , then again no corollas in the uk, auris would be a good indicator....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

article_2137302_12_D5_E5_BE000005_DC_455_638x420.jpg

Toyota sell furniture too, don't think there's a towbar option though.

12 pages now Ted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Go to another dealer and ask to see a genuine toyota towbar. If it is different from what's fitted go back to your dealer and roar the odds at him and demand it removed and your 800 quid back. Do it in earshot of plenty of other customers.

Then go to someotherwhere and get a towbar cheaper. I wouldn't give that f ckeer any more money if i was you.

Agricola wrote: »
    Hey, when you gotta tow, you gotta tow :D

Needles - Your argument is basically "It's capitalism, deal with it" It's the same thinking behind why an elderly relative of mine who lives in London, pays through the nose anytime she walks through the door of the Vauxhall dealership where she bought her car. If people are fool enough to pay, lets charge them. Grand. Not to my taste is all.

Yes, that pretty much sums it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So what was the outcome, I'm dying to know?

10 pages and 15,823 views.

Wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

corglass wrote: »

Wow!

And we still don't know the outcome :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Lazybones

corglass wrote: »

Wow!

More views than the thread on Apple owing Ireland €13 Billion.......

Come on OP tell us what the latest update is on the tow bar.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Lazybones wrote: »
    More views than the thread on Apple owing Ireland €13 Billion.......

Ireland always had very strange priorities.

Hey guys

Would appreciate a big help as my parents have gone berserk

My dad landed back with a 162 Corolla today from the garage.

He suspects that the dealer installed a genuine towbar, but a 3rd party wiring loom. Though he's not sure if the towbar is even genuine

I'd be really grateful if someone could show me a picture of the real deal so I could compare - and hopefully save world war 3 from breaking out this weekend.

Thank you all in advance!

Well I think I'm dying to know the outcome op ? Any final update to give us closure .....

If I dont get an update today my weekend will be ruined

If I dont get an update today my weekend will be ruined

Weekend...? This could make or break the month !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

If someone agreed to pay 800 for a towbar fitted they have more money than sense, my brother bought a Passat recently, had a towbar fitted as part of the deal, no extra charge.
    I had one fitted on mine privately when I bought it, the car was second hand and bought privately, 180, supplied and fitted with certification from a local garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Eamondomc wrote: »
    If someone agreed to pay 800 for a towbar fitted they have more money than sense, my brother bought a Passat recently, had a towbar fitted as part of the deal, no extra charge.
    I had one fitted on mine privately when I bought it, the car was second hand and bought privately, 180, supplied and fitted with certification from a local garage.

Or maybe the dealer made enough margin on the selling price of the Passat to include fitting a tow bar. Dealers are very good at dressing up prices, these "free" add ons still cost money though but it's alot easier to sell something like a car if the customer happily thinks he/she is getting something for free with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps the OP's folks had to sign some kind of non disclosure agreement when they went back to the dealer and got it sorted :pac:

bazz26 wrote: »
    Or maybe the dealer made enough margin on the selling price of the Passat to include fitting a tow bar. Dealers are very good at dressing up prices, these "free" add ons still cost money though but it's alot easier to sell something like a car if the customer happily thinks he/she is getting something for free with it.

Guy goes in to dealer, test drives car, talks about price, is told price, haggles, gets best price, goes home to think on it, rings garage back two days later and agrees to buy if towbar fitted, garage agrees, this is a brand new car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Eamondomc wrote: »
    Guy goes in to dealer, test drives car, talks about price, is told price, haggles, gets best price, goes home to think on it, rings garage back two days later and agrees to buy if towbar fitted, garage agrees, this is a brand new car.

Who is to say that was the dealer's best or lowest price? Maybe someone else could have walked in and negotiated a further €500 off the price of the Passat and got a tow bar fitted somewhere else?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Who is to say that was the dealer's best or lowest price? Maybe someone else could have walked in and negotiated a further €500 off the price of the Passat and got a tow bar fitted somewhere else?

Do you think he bought in the only place he priced?

Advertisement