Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PHD Funding UK

• 27-08-2016 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hello, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience in attaining scholarships to study in the UK? Most of the funding bodies I've seen require applicants to have been resident in the UK for three years to attain a full scholarship, which I have not been. I have recently finished my undergraduate degree in NUIG (1.1), so I hope that I may be competitive for a scholarship.

Would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

AFAIK, most UK scholarships will require you to have been resident there for the three years. I guess it depends on where the funding comes from though (e.g. government or otherwise), as I do know someone who got a 3-year PhD studentship without meeting the residency requirement. If you've identified potential supervisors, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

On a related note, I don't know which field you're in, but to compete for PhD funding you may need to consider a masters first. I'm in Ireland, but I don't know anyone on my programme who didn't have a masters and some research experience before starting their PhD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

innad wrote: »
    AFAIK, most UK scholarships will require you to have been resident there for the three years. I guess it depends on where the funding comes from though (e.g. government or otherwise), as I do know someone who got a 3-year PhD studentship without meeting the residency requirement. If you've identified potential supervisors, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

On a related note, I don't know which field you're in, but to compete for PhD funding you may need to consider a masters first. I'm in Ireland, but I don't know anyone on my programme who didn't have a masters and some research experience before starting their PhD.

Most of the positions I've seen advertised have mentioned that EU citizens must be resident there for three years to get a full studentship. There's a researcher in the university of Glasgow that I'm going to email tomorrow and I'll see what she says. My mum is English, so I should be eligible for British citizenship, I'm not sure if that would enable me to secure a studentship though or if I'd still need to have been resident there for three years.

I'm in microbiology. I have already been offered a fully funded PhD here but turned it down. I applied for it hoping to get interview experience, but never thought I'd get it. I turned it down as the topic is something I was only loosely interested in. I hope it's not something I'll regret down the line... I have a place on a master's course starting September 26.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement