Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marina village - Greystones

Options
  • 27-08-2016 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Visited the openhouse day in marina village in greystones today.
    3,4 & 5 bed houses, starting at 485k.

Finished to a good standard, but some of the 3 bed houses have a terrible layout, designed by someone who never thought about living in the actual house.
    The 5 bed, although 655k was the best value based on size and layout.

The demograph however was depressing, mostly 60+ year old couples. Distinct lack of mid 30's people, who i would have assumed the houses were aimed at.

Lots of land rovers, bmw's, mercedes so i assume all these houses will be purchsed by the older people as investment properties. Very demoralizing as a 30 something year old having such houses way out of reach.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Visited the openhouse day in marina village in greystones today.
    3,4 & 5 bed houses, starting at 485k.

Finished to a good standard, but some of the 3 bed houses have a terrible layout, designed by someone who never thought about living in the actual house.
    The 5 bed, although 655k was the best value based on size and layout.

The demograph however was depressing, mostly 60+ year old couples. Distinct lack of mid 30's people, who i would have assumed the houses were aimed at.

Lots of land rovers, bmw's, mercedes so i assume all these houses will be purchsed by the older people as investment properties. Very demoralizing as a 30 something year old having such houses way out of reach.

It was pointed out in a newspaper article that the houses would appeal to local downsizers. It appears that your assumption that the houses were aimed for mid-30s people was erroneous. It is most unlikely that mid 60's buyers are buying residential investment properties. They will be moving in and selling their previous homes. Ultimately, for each house sold to a sexogenerian another will come on the second hand market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I hadn't visited a showhouse before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Very, very crowded, about 150 cars were parked as people queued to get through the 4 showhouses.

On the price list that was handed out, the price for the 4/5 bed had been crossed out and increased by 40k to 695!

Aug2016_Price_List_Revised.jpg

Is this what it was like during the 'tiger' period?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

You would've had champagne and celebrities. Sometimes even fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yesap

Saw these houses too, the finish was really excellent and big inside which is unusual with new builds lately, very well priced versus similar homes in Greystones in my opinion...I know WCC were involved in construction, maybe they had some influence on pricing and dimensions but doubt that.

On the price change, assuming that just meant the house priced at €655k had just sold, prices were "from" and they might not want to mislead. Maybe the interest caused the price rise but I would be surprised on the first day to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yesap wrote: »
    Saw these houses too, the finish was really excellent and big inside which is unusual with new builds lately, very well priced versus similar homes in Greystones in my opinion...I know WCC were involved in construction, maybe they had some influence on pricing and dimensions but doubt that.

I doubt WCC had any involvement in the house design - they did a PPP deal on the land, but the developer would've taken care of the design and pricing of the houses.

If I was an older person looking to downsize, I'm not sure I'd go for a 3-storey 5-bedroom semi (the apartments might be a better bet). But there's not a lot of smaller properties available in Greystones particularly in central locations.

One positive is that they're very energy efficient with HRV ventilation and heat exchangers.

• Advertisement

Yes, I think the 5 beds are for a younger demographic trading across from one of the older type properties in the area. There was a fair bit of interest in the 4 bed 2 stories from older groupings and the apartments will be very popular too.

From friends I know in the area, I think a lot of those in Greystones itself looking to buy a new house are already locked into contracts for the new seagreen and delgany developments which launched just before so I expect the majority of these houses to be sold to those currently living outside of the town once word gets around....

Not too familiar with the heating system but they have to be A rating now under regs so all new houses should be pretty similar I would assume... They did say it was neither oil or gas central heating though

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

yesap wrote: »

On the price change, assuming that just meant the house priced at €655k had just sold, prices were "from" and they might not want to mislead. Maybe the interest caused the price rise but I would be surprised on the first day to change.

I dont think WCC had any involvement in the construction at all!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Went down today just for a gawk. I think many had the same idea. I dont think there were many serious buyers there today. The houses were lovely but some of them had strange layouts. Also the ones at the back are almost on top of the dart line so they would need to be very well sound proofed.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Went down today just for a gawk. I think many had the same idea. I dont think there were many serious buyers there today. The houses were lovely but some of them had strange layouts. Also the ones at the back are almost on top of the dart line so they would need to be very well sound proofed.

ah the Dart's not that loud. At least they don't have ammonia trains thundering past their windows at 3 in the morning any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Any "sea views" you have will also disappear when the apartments are built between the sea and the houses. Someone else who lives nearby pointed out that the traffic in and out of the place will be terrible if they dont improve the entrance, but i guess that could be similar for many estates.

• Advertisement

Yes the Dart is close by but only in and out every 30 mins due to the single track and didn't seem loud at all when I was there, maybe because they are slowing down entering/leaving the town.

The apartments will have the sea views, they were being very open about that on the day I was there, and sea still on doorstep. I say the apt's will be crazy priced. Not sure when they are due to be completed but the retail/restaurants etc will form part of that phase so I say a bit off yet...

I see the remaining €655k houses are now looking for €740k... Launch must have gone well if prices jumped that fast even before a new phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Went to see the "townhouses" which are the latest offeri in this development. All reserved!!

Had to laugh at the posts here mentioning the 3&4 bed semis which were well under 500k when they were launched - the townhouses are 450-470 and are definitely not family homes. Very nice design and quite good layout, but the usual issue of lack of storage. Builders never seem to think people have "stuff" - sports equipment, wellies, hiking boots, hobby things, books etc. The wardrobe space in the master bedroom would hold my knickers, socks and a few tops.....

And only 450....cos the orientation is north east...for all of them.

Advertisement