Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What rights do I have - no contract

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Whether he was forced or not he acted on the invalid notice. He only has to explain what happened. That is enough. Why should the o/p hand even more of his money to a grasping landlord.

Ok, at the risk of losing the will to live and pissing off every other reader, do you understand that the op did not give notice that he is leaving?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

davo10 wrote: »
    Ok, at the risk of losing the will to live and pissing off every other reader, do you understand that the op did not give notice that he is leaving?

The landlord gave him notice, a notice which was invalid. The o/p sourced alternative accommodation on foot of it. Now the LL wants to cash in. The O/p is entitled to compensation. You seem determined to find the o/p guilty. What he did or didn't do is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The landlord gave him notice, a notice which was invalid. The o/p sourced alternative accommodation on foot of it. Now the LL wants to cash in. The O/p is entitled to compensation. You seem determined to find the o/p guilty. What he did or didn't do is irrelevant.

Everyone agrees with you, a verbal notice is invalid, right now no proper notion of termination exists. But the op has not been evicted, he is entitled to stay there until proper notice is recieved. But the LL has a valid reason to do this (sale) and time to do it. He chose to leave even though the notice was invalid and he had a right to stay. Now he is leaving without notice which is also wrong. I wish I could make this simpler for you but I'll have to leave it to other posters to take it from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

What would be the consequences if op decided s not to be able to afford to move out because they have to pay rent for two places? Wouldn't be beneficial and cheaper for landlord to forget the September rent and get the tennant out before they become a hassle. I know it's illegal to overstay and I am not suggesting OP should do it but it seems to me very shortsighted to insist on one month's rent when you have a chance to get someone out quickly in very challenging rental market. Is one month's rent really that important?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Enough to and fro, 4ensic15 and whoever else wants to debate the notice issue please take it to pm, it has dominated this thread and discouraging other posters from commenting. Thanks

Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement