Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB question

Options
  • 27-08-2016 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello Everyone

I have a question regarding tenancy with PRTB.

I moved to Cork June 2016 and took over from a guy who was moving back home and the current tenancy when i moved in was expiring 31 July 2016. I signed a new 6 month contract with my landlord which started 01/08/2016. Anyway i needed a letter of registration from the PRTB and I received this in the post and upon reading the letter I noticed it says " I can confirm that your tenancy commenced 01/08/2014" I immediately thought that this was a typing error so i called them and the lady i spoke to wasn't that much helpful.
    So my question is that I understand that tenancies are renewable every 4 years so because it says 2014 does that mean no matter how many changes are made or new tenancies are signed with the landlord, the prtb doesn't take into account these changes? I have to ensure that this letter is accurate as it is for an application.
    I'm really confused and any help would be appreciated, im currently waiting to speak with my landlord.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Hello Everyone

I moved to Cork June 2016 and took over from a guy who was moving back home and the current tenancy when i moved in was expiring 31 July 2016. I signed a new 6 month contract with my landlord which started 01/08/2016. Anyway i needed a letter of registration from the PRTB and I received this in the post and upon reading the letter I noticed it says " I can confirm that your tenancy commenced 01/08/2014" I immediately thought that this was a typing error so i called them and the lady i spoke to wasn't that much helpful.
    So my question is that I understand that tenancies are renewable every 4 years so because it says 2014 does that mean no matter how many changes are made or new tenancies are signed with the landlord, the prtb doesn't take into account these changes? I have to ensure that this letter is accurate as it is for an application.
    I'm really confused and any help would be appreciated, im currently waiting to speak with my landlord.

Thank you

It wasn't a new tenancy because as you said you took over the tenancy from the other guy. You took on his tenancy and all the rights of tenure from the existing tenancy. A lease can be signed as often they are signed for12 months but it doesn't take away from the part iv rights that you have once you are in situ 6 months. So say any notice to terminate now would be based on fact tenancy is in place since 2014.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Hello Everyone

Thank you

It sounds like there were 2 of you in the place for a few weeks. The RTB view it as an advantage to you that the tenancy started in 2014 when the other tenant started. This is because you have part iv rights from the start. the new contract doesn't alter it. If there is an issue about how long you are resident, the RTB information is not accurate from that point of view. The reason is the multiple tenancy provisions in the Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

AS the OP moved took over a vacating tenant in June 2016, he does not yet have Part 4 rights.
    I received this in the post and upon reading the letter I noticed it says " I can confirm that your tenancy commenced 01/08/2014"

The tenancy started in 2014 when you were not a tenant there; however, the RTB may have misunderstood in saying that your were actually one of the original tenants. Obviously, either they have answered a question like "when did the tenancy start" and not a question like "I moved into the property in June 1016 and require proof of when my tenancy started".

Just write to the RTB again and get it corrected.

Advertisement