Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary school and getting bus etc

Options
  • 27-08-2016 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Child staring secondary school. Thus might involve a 10 minute bus journey and a little walk.

Concerns me... is this normal.

When I was his age I got a bus for 45 mins both ways and walked twice the distance. Seems differant now though

What does one do... We both work so can't collect and droP to the door

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

It is normal to be concerned, but think it is a normal enough journey for a 12 year old.
    My biggest concern would be kids using their phones/ earphones and crossing roads. I read an RSA statistic recently that the highest rate of pedestrian deaths are 1 st years for this very reason ( sorry to add to your concerns but just drill it into him from the start how dangerous that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Child staring secondary school. Thus might involve a 10 minute bus journey and a little walk.

Concerns me... is this normal.

When I was his age I got a bus for 45 mins both ways and walked twice the distance. Seems differant now though

What does one do... We both work so can't collect and droP to the door

I had a 45 min cycle each way at that age! But am in a similar situation this week. I think it is pretty normal and once the child has done it a few times it'll seem totally natural. I, and you, will wonder why we ever worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Totally normal. I had a 15 min walk, a 15 min train journey and a 10 min walk.

I'm in Dublin. Looking around me every day I see teens (12 - 18 years of age) on the DART from Raheny over to Blackrock (25 min dart journey). Kids on the DART to Lansdowne then picking up a school bus outside the station to go another bit. Kids going from Balbriggan/Skerries/Rush/Lusk/Donabate/Malahide into Loreto on the Green/CUS Leeson street (a good 45 min train journey) and sometimes further to southside schools.Our local secondary school is a good 25 min walk along a busy road, crowds of them do it every day, or pick up the bus instead of walking. Actually, I regularly see primary school kids on their own on the trains and buses too, 5th/6th class ages. And there are a couple of kids in the primary schools around us that get the bus to and from school.

I think you're forgetting that he won't be alone. There are literally gangs of teens in uniforms waiting for buses/trains and walking all over the country and definitely all over the city. It's good for them, to be honest, rather than being ferried and carried everywhere.And within a couple of weeks he'll probably have a couple of pals that he knows doing it with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

Thanks, nice to hear I am not alone.

Advertisement