Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Poker Lessons

Options
  • 27-08-2016 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I saw some relevant threads when I searched but they were about 10 years old so a bit obsolete at this point. Basically I'm wondering if anyone can recommend good resources or even individuals for poker lesson and strategy instruction? I've only ever played fooling around but do enjoy it and therefore would like to become more competent.

Do people offer lessons over Skype or in person or is that not the done thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Division

deucescracked(.)com

Instructional videos from professionals who would be charging hundreds if not thousands per hour for individual lessons.

On one hand this is a great learning resource but the flip side of the coin is that people playing $0.25/0.50 ($50) NLHE games and even lower online are very good because of these tutorial websites.

I don't play much poker myself but there are simply too many good players at low stake NLHE to realistically beat the rake (fee taken by poker room from each hand) in online NLHE.

If you want to have a bit of fun for low stakes with the chance of winning up to $25k-30k pokerstars(.)com have a tournament on a Sunday for $11 but there are thousands of entrants with about the best 10% of the field winning some money.

The best poker room online is definitely pokerstars. They even have Ronaldo as an ambassador to lure everyone in:)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

Thanks for that Division. I was looking around at different resources and OutstandingPoker.com seems to carry a pretty decent reputation for straight forward strategy and not being too complicated. I think I'll give that a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Ask on Irishpokerboards.com. Don't be put off by the flippant answers. Some people will give good advice.

Have you played much live? Can you hold your own in live club tournaments? You probably need to be competent before you get lessons, although some will say it is best to get lessons first. Do you have a poker book collection?

diomed wrote: »
    Ask on Irishpokerboards.com. Don't be put off by the flippant answers. Some people will give good advice.

Have you played much live? Can you hold your own in live club tournaments? You probably need to be competent before you get lessons, although some will say it is best to get lessons first. Do you have a poker book collection?

I don't. I have very little competency which is why I thought that getting lessons first and coming from an informed place might be better than just trying to teach myself as I go and pick up bad habits.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Division

1. Look at all the different types of poker games available.

2. Decide if you want to play cash games or tournaments.

3. Get a book and learn the specific strategy for what you have chosen.

4. Play thousands of hands of this specific game & format while watching tutorial videos.

Rinse and repeat with a different game/format.

I suggest you start with 10 handed, No Limit Hold Em, Sit and Go tournaments on Pokerstars for $1 a game.

• Advertisement

You could buy the Wilson Software Texas Hold Em tournament poker software. It will give you good practice without extra cost beyond the purchase price.

I played cards as a child (before we had TV), then in my twenties played Seven Card Stud with friends and work colleagues for cash (notes). I was 52 before I started back playing again in the Dublin card clubs (tournaments, small buy-in).

Many beginning players say they are good, and I've paid part of the entry fee for players who wanted to bring their skills to live tournament play. They are good playing with friends for insignificant stakes. They are well below the standard of the average club player. One lasted about two hours in the Fitzwilliam end of month tournament (€270 entry). That tournament lasts about seven hours.

You need to read a lot imo to improve, and play in small stakes tournaments.

A good beginners book is Hold 'Em Poker by David Sklansky (published 1976, plenty of reprints since) (113 pages).
    Then you can move on to books by Doyle Brunson, Dan Harrington and others.

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭noel50

pokerstrategy.com hi this was this site i used when i started out i dont play any more had my fun won very little if at all i was a tourney player but very hard to win anything lots of luck needed the amout of players with good skill level is very high now best of luck noel

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dally

888 has a beginner's guide with some useful posts - worth a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement