Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reduced Cat Spaying?

• 27-08-2016 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

About a month ago, a friend of mine took in a semi-feral kitten she found in a relative's garden backing onto a main road. She had her seen by the vet, wormed and deflea'd and got her all the essentials for indoor living. She's quite tame now but she's noticed that a lot of cats have been hanging around the house and she's wondering about spaying. Are there any voucher schemes running at present, particularly in the Louth area? Also, I'm only really familiar with the dogs end of things, but how much does it cost to spay a female cat these days? She got quoted €75, and I'm pretty sure I got charged a tenner extra when neutering my full-grown male collie :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Well done to your friend for taking her in and given her a home, a lot would not... Is she worried about the kitten she has spraying in the house? I take it that is it, as spraying outside would not affect the house.. If so defo get her neutered even get it done anyway as unless she wants kittens it is the best thing to do for the cat, and also get her chipped..

I know there is a big nooo you cant mention animal cause names here but I am sure if she contacted a local cat rescue place they could tell her if she could get it done cheaper through them. Also if the vet is nice then they often see that she has taken in the kitten and may give a discount.. €75 sounds about right though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Milly33 wrote: »
    Well done to your friend for taking her in and given her a home, a lot would not... Is she worried about the kitten she has spraying in the house? I take it that is it, as spraying outside would not affect the house.. If so defo get her neutered even get it done anyway as unless she wants kittens it is the best thing to do for the cat, and also get her chipped..

I know there is a big nooo you cant mention animal cause names here but I am sure if she contacted a local cat rescue place they could tell her if she could get it done cheaper through them. Also if the vet is nice then they often see that she has taken in the kitten and may give a discount.. €75 sounds about right though...

I did recommend the obvious one that most counties have but the lady you would contact had a family death so she said she'd leave that for a few days. I got her the number for a particular vet that I know does the vet work for a particular dog rescue that might be able to help her but I figured I'd check if the schemes were still running. I don't even know when kitten season is :o
    As far as I know she had her chipped when she took her into the vet but I'll remind her just in case she didn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah culio well sure see what the vet says he might be able to do something on the price or even do a payment scheme kinda of a thing if she cannot afford it now.. I think were in kitten season or well tis been the last couple of months anyone... Good on the chipping it is very handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

contact the local TNR group - she has saved them a job, so they might have some info for her - or let her use their vet or something?

extract:
    There are a number of organisations around the country that provide support for members of the public looking for TNR for their local feral colonies, including the ISPCA and our affiliated member societies. You can find the contact details for the ISPCA in Longford and Mallow, as well as our affiliated member societies around the country on our website here http://www.ispca.ie/member_societies/.

Feral Cats Ireland has lots of useful information on TNR projects and important information about feral cats on their website as well (http://www.feralcatsireland.org).
    end of extract.

louthspca.ie might give her some pointers.

dont know if this is any use:

http://rescueanimalsireland.ie/component/jbusinessdirectory/

Advertisement