Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal organs still in supermarket chicken

Options
  • 27-08-2016 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Bought a chicken yesterday, roasted it today for in-laws dinner, wasn't until I had cooked it I realised all internal organs still attached.
    Got in touch with the supermarkets customer service and was told to return packaging to store for a refund or new product.
    I don't think I'm happy with just that but have no idea if that's as good as it gets?
    For reference the stomach or whatever chickens have was still there but split and half digested grains flew out at me I went to try and pull it out, also has anybody ever smelt cooked chicken poop? Not very nice especially when you're cooking for your mother in law.
    Anybody have any ideas where I can complain or what I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,028 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there a standard expectation of them being stripped out? I would always check

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sorry what's the issue ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Bought a chicken yesterday, roasted it today for in-laws dinner, wasn't until I had cooked it I realised all internal organs still attached.
    Got in touch with the supermarkets customer service and was told to return packaging to store for a refund or new product.
    I don't think I'm happy with just that but have no idea if that's as good as it gets?
    For reference the stomach or whatever chickens have was still there but split and half digested grains flew out at me I went to try and pull it out, also has anybody ever smelt cooked chicken poop? Not very nice especially when you're cooking for your mother in law.
    Anybody have any ideas where I can complain or what I should do?

You didn't realise until you had it cooked?!
    Do you have both your eyes and both your hands?

Standard prep for a roast chicken is to clean it out, flavour, oil & season it.

My advice?

Complain to your own parents for not slapping enough sense into you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

You're supposed to always check before cooking. Is part of the prep

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Complain to your own parents for not slapping enough sense into you!

please don't talk to other posters like that.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Such a lovely bunch, I'll be sure to send everybody here if they need advice on anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

In fairness, what else could they possibly do? They can't turn back time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Such a lovely bunch, I'll be sure to send everybody here if they need advice on anything

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Deub

I guess it is a 50-50 issue. Maybe they were not supposed to sell it like this but you should have noticed it when you chose it or at least when you prepared it. The weight of the chicken should have rang alarm bell.

Regarding compensation, i have the impression you want more than a refund or another chicken. If it is the case, it is only at the shop discretion and base on what I said above, you may not get something else.

Deub wrote: »
    If it is the case, it is only at the shop discretion and base on what I said above, you may not get something else.

Oh, I dunno, litigation can be bizarre at times.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/psychiatric-nurse-awarded-130000-after-weetabix-boxes-fell-on-her-during-tesco-shopping-trip-31019733.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,376 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think the most incongruous part was that you were worried about cooking a nice roast for your mother in law, but you didn't pay any attention to the chicken. If you attempted to prep the chicken you would have noticed the inside of the chicken was full of offal.

Finding offal inside a cooked chicken must me very embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Tbh I didn't think the insides were still left in supermarket chickens. Any whole chicken I've bought from dunnes, tesco or super value in the last 20 years have been cleaned and are ready to cook.

Is there anything on the packaging to say if it's oven ready or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

But you did get advice, what's the problem? Check the chicken before you cook it.

Actually I was worried about food poisioning and I suppose I was wondering if maybe it I should contact fsai but never mind.
    Mod you can delete this thread now I didn't get the advice I was looking for and I obviously posted in the wrong forum

Actually I was worried about food poisioning and I suppose I was wondering if maybe it I should contact fsai but never mind.
    Mod you can delete this thread now I didn't get the advice I was looking for and I obviously posted in the wrong forum

Pretty sure threads don't get deleted just because the OP made a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

It is absolutely the case that the innards should have been removed. The OP should not have to check that. The days of removing giblets yourself are long gone.

As for food poisoning, very unlikely if it is cooked thoroughly.

It's all a bit minging but beyond a refund I'm not sure where else you might go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bellissima

You are supposed to wipe out the inside of the chicken before seasoning,flavouring,oiling and cooking it. If you had done that you would have discovered that there were innards there. You would , perhaps,have cause for complaint about the presence of innards there,but not about the possible consequences of their presence ie embarrassment or food poisoning. The normal routine of chicken preparation was not followed.

Pretty sure threads don't get deleted just because the OP made a mistake.

Unless it's very clear on the labels I don't think the OP made a mistake at all!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did you all still eat the chicken?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To be fair, giblets and internal organs are generally removed in supermarket chickens these days, so it's actually not all that unusual that someone wouldn't check. Especially if it's someone who has been used to supermarket chickens all along.

OP - you should contact the supermarket ASAP, as they will want to check this with their suppliers to ensure this doesn't happen again. I genuinely don't know if they will offer anything beyond a refund and apology.

Posters - I have had enough of the OP bashing. Cut it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

cruais wrote:
    You're supposed to always check before cooking. Is part of the prep

Most of the replies are very harsh on the OP. I've cooked loads of chickens and never once thought to check inside the cavity before putting it in the oven.

The chicken was marked as oven ready, giblets in chicken is grand but this was the croup with the contents and his intestines. Its wasn't like they were removed and left in all was still attached, I was looking for advice not looking to be told how stupid I was etc. If I'm not going to get actual advice I see no point in having the thread. I will contact the fsai today, supermarket has already been contacted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

bellissima wrote: »
    You are supposed to wipe out the inside of the chicken before seasoning,flavouring,oiling and cooking it. If you had done that you would have discovered that there were innards there. You would , perhaps,have cause for complaint about the presence of innards there,but not about the possible consequences of their presence ie embarrassment or food poisoning. The normal routine of chicken preparation was not followed.

This is not correct.

Unless it's very clear on the labels I don't think the OP made a mistake at all!

Not the mistake to which I was referring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Doubt I'd specifically check either unless I was going to stuff it.

I generally just bang it in a tray and roast it myself. Wouldn't fancy carving and finding what you did.

I'd say a mistake was made in suppliers and I'd certainly be complaining to supermarket and fsai. I'd be interested to hear what fsai have to say on it.

Not the mistake to which I was referring.

Then I'm not sure what your point was I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Seems alot of people clean out the inside of a ready to cook chicken seems odd to me or people watching too many cookery programmes thinking they are special, I think the op is right they should at least get an extra chicken as repayment or a steak would be a nice gesture oh shouldn't of said that you might get more helpful advice on how to cook that also :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I do think the QC for the factory should be checked. You would expect the chicken to be cleaned out inside. But at the end of the day, a chicken was a living thing and the organs etc you seen were entirely natural. It was not like you found a bolt from the machine in it

OP I dont see what more you can expect from the supermarket other than a replacement. You might not have been happy to see a Chickens organs, but thats what a Chicken has inside

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

The chicken was marked as oven ready, giblets in chicken is grand but this was the croup with the contents and his intestines. Its wasn't like they were removed and left in all was still attached, I was looking for advice not looking to be told how stupid I was etc. If I'm not going to get actual advice I see no point in having the thread. I will contact the fsai today, supermarket has already been contacted

This in bold is the key factor. Marked oven ready means innards removed so in this case the OP has cause for complaint.

On the other hand, what the supermarket has offered seems fair and standard.

One would hope that the supermarket get on to their suppliers/packagers to ensure this doesn't happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

I think the most incongruous part was that you were worried about cooking a nice roast for your mother in law, but you didn't pay any attention to the chicken. If you attempted to prep the chicken you would have noticed the inside of the chicken was full of offal.

Finding offal inside a cooked chicken must me very embarrassing.

Probably offal embarrassing, id say...

Advertisement