Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal organs still in supermarket chicken

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Probably offal embarrassing, id say...
    It was really fowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Sorry but this is gross. I would be raging op as
    1) no dinner
    2) feel sick
    3) would avoid chicken
    4) pain in hole having to bring back to shop etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kiss1037

although i always clean innards FSAI dont recommend this , so op did no wrong and factory practices should be inspected

Fro FSAI

Q. Should I wash a chicken before cooking?

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland does not recommend washing chicken (or any other poultry) in running water. This is because, when raw poultry is washed in this manner, the harmful bacteria present on the raw poultry may be sprayed around the washing area contaminating cloths, work surfaces and potentially other foodstuffs.

The best way to prepare poultry for cooking is to use wet kitchen towel to wipe the chicken and dispose of the kitchen towel immediately. Be sure to wash hands in antibacterial soap afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

Well an awful lot of trolls who get thrills off cracking whips?? And poking people.

OP

I knew a friend who bought a ready to cook GF ( NO NEED TO CLEAN OUT AND PREP ) with all the seasoning etc. They cooked it and noticed it smelled very odd and eventually found that it was not removed of its innards.

They took the chicken back to the store where the Manager was not impressed.... He advised them to take pictures and contact the company direct whilst offering them a new choice of dinner and €10 free shopping. I heard after complaining to the company that they had to submit pictures etc and were offered a €20 voucher for their prouducts....

The €20 voucher never arrived and my friends were angry they did not go further to a solicitor etc...

Make sure to take pics of your product, wrapping and receipt if you choose this route.

Also I am glad that none of you or your family eat any of this chicken, I could only imagine the hospital bills after discovering that..

Reddevilfan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Well an awful lot of trolls who get thrills off cracking whips?? And poking people.

OP

I knew a friend who bought a ready to cook GF ( NO NEED TO CLEAN OUT AND PREP ) with all the seasoning etc. They cooked it and noticed it smelled very odd and eventually found that it was not removed of its innards.

They took the chicken back to the store where the Manager was not impressed.... He advised them to take pictures and contact the company direct whilst offering them a new choice of dinner and €10 free shopping. I heard after complaining to the company that they had to submit pictures etc and were offered a €20 voucher for their prouducts....

The €20 voucher never arrived and my friends were angry they did not go further to a solicitor etc...

Make sure to take pics of your product, wrapping and receipt if you choose this route.

Also I am glad that none of you or your family eat any of this chicken, I could only imagine the hospital bills after discovering that..

Reddevilfan
    What were they hoping the outcome would be by taking the suppliers to court?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

I got sliced chicken once which still had binding around it, (what they wrap it in before it's sliced) only found it while eating it, rang the manufacturer, they sent out a little pack looking for the binding and barcode etc, they rang me back 2 weeks later saying what it was and got E20 in vouchers (for their products) a few days after.
    Can do the "what ifs" if a child ate it, could have choked on it etc, but no one was any worse off, and for the E4 packet of meat I got E20, albeit for their products.

Why not ring the supplier, and tell them, also tell them you notified the shop where it was bought too, if they ask for receipts etc that you have more than likely thrown away.

Oops, poster above got there before me.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What were they hoping the outcome would be by taking the suppliers to court?

They only taught about doing it after they had spoke to the company direct and promised €20 in vouchers for the inconvenience..... Which they never received

I too would be annoyed if I was talked around by I'm so sorry bla bla and we will send out you a voucher etc

To feel like they just said mass to get us off the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Brought it back to shop, manager nearly got sick in front of me when I showed her. I have pictures and receipt, they have my name number and address. They apologised and gave me my money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We used to call them the giblets and some people
    Iike them cooked

We used to call them the giblets and some people Iike them cooked

Oh I love cooked giblets, not too fond of intestines still full of poop though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Reddevilfan

What payout were they expecting? So Judge was going to rule they experienced distress after seeing something every Chicken has inside of it? ie its organs. I imagine a Judge would tell you to cop on if you brought this to court

What Hospital bills would have resulted from this? If OP cooked the chicken, all the pathogens would have been killed. You will find animal excrement in a lot of beef products, it is just how the animal is killed and processed afterwards

This whole thread shows how detached people are from food production these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,376 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Probably offal embarrassing, id say...

OP will never ever liver it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

newacc2015 wrote: »
    This whole thread shows how detached people are from food production these days.

Or basic hygiene.

Wiping the inside of the bird?!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Seems alot of people clean out the inside of a ready to cook chicken seems odd to me
    I don't clean it out but I certainly have a look, and a once over the whole bird and in between folds etc for anything odd. As its wrapped in plastic I would check to see if any fragments came off, or could have a bag of legitimate giblets in it, regardless of what he pack says. I would also sniff milk & other meats no matter what the use by date says, and if adding eggs to a mix would crack them separate first to check rather than ruin the lot.

I expect many of the "non-checkers" will be checking from now on.

Similar happened in the UK that made the papers, they got a £10 voucher for meat in tesco
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/618833/Tesco-chicken-blood-faeces-undisgested-food-corn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

blank

newacc2015 wrote: »
    The 20 voucher never arrived and my friends were angry they did not go further to a solicitor etc...

Reddevilfan

What payout were they expecting? So Judge was going to rule they experienced distress after seeing something every Chicken has inside of it? ie its organs. I imagine a Judge would tell you to cop on if you brought this to court

What Hospital bills would have resulted from this? If OP cooked the chicken, all the pathogens would have been killed. You will find animal excrement in a lot of beef products, it is just how the animal is killed and processed afterwards

Eh.... they were happy with the apology and a 20 euro gift card.... which never arrived.... the phrase " F them I should of went to a solicitor" All probably said in frustration about the incident....

As regard the hospital bills quote

If you would not bother taking your family to hospital after such an incident then thats your problem.... I on the other hand care about my kids and would ensure that their was no possibility of ANY SORT of poisoning that would make them ill and affect them going to school etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't clean it out but I certainly have a look, and a once over the whole bird and in between folds etc for anything odd. As its wrapped in plastic I would check to see if any fragments came off, or could have a bag of legitimate giblets in it, regardless of what he pack says. I would also sniff milk & other meats no matter what the use by date says, and if adding eggs to a mix would crack them separate first to check rather than ruin the lot.

I expect many of the "non-checkers" will be checking from now on.

Similar happened in the UK that made the papers, they got a £10 voucher for meat in tesco
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/618833/Tesco-chicken-blood-faeces-undisgested-food-corn

So I am not the only one do not feel like a idiot anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I always sniff meat and milk. Even if it's with sell by date, it can still go off. A quick sniff is better than finding curdled milk in your tea

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've cooked many, many chickens and never checked that the cavity was empty. I've often stuffed herbs, butter and a combination of both up onto the breast under the skin and still never checked the cavity was empty. The only time I would have noticed is when if decided on spatchcock.

For all those people cleaning out the cavity whether it be wiping, washing or whatever else just be aware of additional food safety risks you're undertaking that are not at all necessary.

OP, I feel your pain. I'm sure it was embarrassing (though it shouldn't be, not your fault). I can only imagine what the smell was like having visited chicken farms. Cooked chicken poop. Not pleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

dudara wrote: »
    I always sniff meat and milk. Even if it's with sell by date, it can still go off. A quick sniff is better than finding curdled milk in your tea

My sense of smell is so bad it wouldn't alert me to anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I never check the inside of the chickens, but I think I will from now on! :eek:

The packaging on the Aldi chickens even state that the chicken doesn't need to be cleaned, etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

For all those people cleaning out the cavity whether it be wiping, washing or whatever else just be aware of additional food safety risks you're undertaking that are not at all necessary.

Indeed, washing chicken isn't at all recommended!!

https://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/campaigns/campylobacter/fsw-2014
    Four rules to prevent campylobacter from causing food poisoning
    Splashing water from washing chicken can spread campylobacter. Thorough cooking kills it.

Campylobacter can be spread easily and just a few bacteria could cause illness. This could come from raw or undercooked chicken, or from contamination due to washing raw chicken. The easiest way to protect yourself and your family is to follow our simple food safety tips every time you prepare food.
    Don't wash raw chicken
    Cooking will kill any bacteria present, including campylobacter, while washing chicken can spread germs by splashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Not asking the OP to name the shop and/or supplier but I suspect that this was probably a free-range bird from a small supplier. A factory chicken would have been processed from start to finish by machines and there is no way it could have finished up with the innards intact.

coylemj wrote:
    Not asking the OP to name the shop and/or supplier but I suspect that this was probably a free-range bird from a small supplier. A factory chicken would have been processed from start to finish by machines and there is no way it could have finished up with the innards intact.

Nope you are very wrong, it was a mass produced, probably battery hen from a large supermarket. I have bought them before with no issue but don't think I'll be buying them again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

Are you sure the chicken was actually dead before you cooked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Nope you are very wrong, it was a mass produced, probably battery hen from a large supermarket. I have bought them before with no issue but don't think I'll be buying them again

Did the packaging give the producer's name?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Eh.... they were happy with the apology and a 20 euro gift card.... which never arrived.... the phrase " F them I should of went to a solicitor" All probably said in frustration about the incident....

As regard the hospital bills quote

If you would not bother taking your family to hospital after such an incident then thats your problem.... I on the other hand care about my kids and would ensure that their was no possibility of ANY SORT of poisoning that would make them ill and affect them going to school etc.

Lol, I can just imagine getting the family into emergency and being asked, 'what is the problem?'
    And answering, we all ate a cooked chicken that still had its guts in.
    'And are you all sick?'
    Well no, not yet.
    'So what do you want us to do about it?'

Anyway, I don't clean chickens out, I do look inside to pull off the two big lumps of fat either side of the cavity; there is quite enough fat in the skin, it doesn't need any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

anyone else thinking of only fools and horses? Poor grandad thought the same OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

coylemj wrote: »

Every production line, whether it's food, cars, whatever, will miss the odd defect. There's no way to be 100% sure all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

I see the poster on the DART frequently that says 'I'm 66 of course I know how to clean a chopping board'. At my particular age I've been cooking roast dinners for over 20 years, I've never once had occasion to look up a chicken's arse. Turkeys and Geese yes of course, supermarket chickens, no.

I'd like to add for the record sense was slapped into me about a great many things, this one clearly slipped through the net! :pac:

Advertisement