Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal organs still in supermarket chicken

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I see the poster on the DART frequently that says 'I'm 66 of course I know how to clean a chopping board'.
    I often see professional celebrity chefs engaging in basic food cross contamination and bad practise on TV quite a bit. Some might be possibly be due to editing, many are live shows and you can clearly see them cross contaminating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

to be fair id always check, better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I've also never seen innards in a supermarket chicken. I've also never heard of someone washing the inside of a chicken before cooking! However, I would season my chicken inside and out and drizzle the skin with oil before cooking at the very least so I'd be confident of finding innards if they were there.

I've also never seen innards in a supermarket chicken. I've also never heard of someone washing the inside of a chicken before cooking! However, I would season my chicken inside and out and drizzle the skin with oil before cooking at the very least so I'd be confident of finding innards if they were there.

ive seen bits, maybe where not everything was pulled out correctly, but the FSA did a big campaign about not washing chickens last year it was very common here in the older generations.

so much so i was taught how to do it in secondary school by the (ancient) home ec teacher.
    my mom was horrified when i told her how to cook a chicken lolz.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Does no one else season the inside of the chicken before roasting? or put a bunch or herbs or lemon or garlic inside?

O/T
    Also I wonder how the fsai advice to wash hands with antibacterial soap squares up with the fda ban on antibacterial soap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

Yuck!!! I have never looked inside the chicken before cooking it . I'd be horrified if I found poop inside it. gross .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Does no one else season the inside of the chicken before roasting? or put a bunch or herbs or lemon or garlic inside?

I used to do lots of fancy things before roasting a chicken, season inside and out, stuff it with a variety of fruits, veg, add a variety of veg/fruit to the tray to infuse the juices etc....

Then one day I was in a hurry and I just banged the chicken in, covered it, roasted it and that was it. And it was pretty much as nice as any of the times Id done all the fancy stuff - so now I dont bother with the fancy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

That's gas just found a bunch of organs in a chicken when I was spatchocking it. I too would have just banged it in the oven.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My family have been in the poultry business for three generations. It's quite unusual not to have the giblets removed now as chicken livers are used to make paté to be sold elsewhere.

However, before cooking chickens, I always wipe them internally with a piece of kitchen paper before adding some herbs and seasoning to the cavity. Just over what my mother used to call "the Pope's nose" is quite a fatty deposit that I'd always remove except in free range birds. (You will see this "nose" at the entrance to the cavity, it's the almost triangular piece of flesh closest to the table/worktop- almost directly under the legs)

What happened the OP was slightly unpleasant, but to be honest, I don't see it as disgusting or dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

My family have been in the poultry business for three generations. It's quite unusual not to have the giblets removed now as chicken livers are used to make paté to be sold elsewhere.

However, before cooking chickens, I always wipe them internally with a piece of kitchen paper before adding some herbs and seasoning to the cavity. Just over what my mother used to call "the Pope's nose" is quite a fatty deposit that I'd always remove except in free range birds. (You will see this "nose" at the entrance to the cavity, it's the almost triangular piece of flesh closest to the table/worktop- almost directly under the legs)

What happened the OP was slightly unpleasant, but to be honest, I don't see it as disgusting or dangerous.
    Although called the Pope's or sometimes the Parson's nose it is in fact not the chickens nose but its tail:D

I am of an age where I can remember plucking turkeys for pocket money before Christmas and tearing the skin especially on the breast would get you a kick in the arse and only half the 80P/£1 rate, not pulling the feathers out of the tail would also be similarly frowned upon by the farmer:) a few of us used to make a little extra by charging the younger and more squeamish for killing their birds properly, some of the poor turkeys dies a horrible death in those places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Op I'd contact a solicitor who will quickly tell you what's what.

However I've seen some crazy payouts from supermarkets in the past just to keep damaging stuff like this out of the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

jcd5971 wrote: »

However I've seen some crazy payouts from supermarkets in the past just to keep damaging stuff like this out of the papers.

Oh jesus. This thread. A solicitor?!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,028 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"get out of my office and stop wasting my time" is what they'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

L1011 wrote:
    "get out of my office and stop wasting my time" is what they'd say.

I think you'd be fairly surprised to be honest, alot of times the mere appearance of a solicitors letter can get a person a few bob, I know in one supermarket where I was a manager that some fairly nonsense claims got paid out just purely as it would be cheaper than actually going to court.

Do I think it's a big deal? Not really.

But again you'd be surprised what you'd get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Just to digress: what is the perceived benefit of wiping the inside of the chicken?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Ahh now there is no way in hell I would ever go to a solicitor over that. I was worried about food poisoning but its all been sorted now. Thanks for all the advice

Just to digress: what is the perceived benefit of wiping the inside of the chicken?

depends on the cook i guess, i dont do it but i always have a look to make sure theres nothing lingering...

wiping is maybe just to clean out any gunk or bit left behind... or dry it out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

To check that there are no internal organs left in the chicken...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I think you'd be fairly surprised to be honest, alot of times the mere appearance of a solicitors letter can get a person a few bob.

That's what it's all about for some. Money for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Ahh now there is no way in hell I would ever go to a solicitor over that. I was worried about food poisoning but its all been sorted now. Thanks for all the advice

But surely you didn't actually eat it after discovering all the poop?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I think it was probably done years ago so that the cook could check that the little plastic bag containing the giblets had been removed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Although called the Pope's or sometimes the Parson's nose it is in fact not the chickens nose but its tail:D

I am of an age where I can remember plucking turkeys for pocket money before Christmas and tearing the skin especially on the breast would get you a kick in the arse and only half the 80P/£1 rate, not pulling the feathers out of the tail would also be similarly frowned upon by the farmer:) a few of us used to make a little extra by charging the younger and more squeamish for killing their birds properly, some of the poor turkeys dies a horrible death in those places.

People tearing the skin used to see me stuck in the kitchen at home sewing the skin back together. Or removing pin feathers with tweezers.

I used to do a bit of plucking if we were short handed. I remember people looking for turkey wings to use to sweep fireplaces.

Now that I think of it, I must sue someone for making me help my family.

Advertisement