Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of sockets

Options
  • 27-08-2016 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi , I'm putting 4 double sockets in my shed. Can I run a live neutral earth from the supply and chain all sockets or do I need independent neutrals back to the mcb?
    Thanks

The way I look at it is if any one socket is live then all neutrals will have current on them. Is that allowed?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Will there be a CU with a RCD in the shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

leptonite wrote: »
    Hi , I'm putting 4 double sockets in my shed. Can I run a live neutral earth from the supply and chain all sockets or do I need independent neutrals back to the mcb?
    Thanks

The way I look at it is if any one socket is live then all neutrals will have current on them. Is that allowed?

Why would you be running neutrals back to the MCB ? Just by the way your asking the question proves you haven't a clue about basic electrics so maybe it's time to call in a professional

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi , I'm putting 4 double sockets in my shed. Can I run a live neutral earth from the supply and chain all sockets or do I need independent neutrals back to the mob?

Sockets are generally wired in radial. The image below depicts a radial socket circuit (wire colours are incorrect).

The work you describe is defined as "restricted electrical works". As explained in the forum charter it is a criminal offence for anyone other than a registered electrical contractor to carry out this work. Policing this is not my responsibility, I am just making you aware of it.

radial1.gif

This statement and the question above demonstrates that you are very confused and this work is beyond your ability. No offence intended but it is important to realise that you are dealing with a potentially lethal voltage.

Installing a socket circuit that "works" is not complicated and requires very little skill / training. However carrying out this work in a safe manner that complies with the necessary regulations as well as testing and certifying the circuit is far more involved. This is why an electrical apprenticeship takes 4 years to complete and electricians are generally only regarded as having reached "full competency" when they have gained 5 years post apprenticeship experience.

Whoever is doing this work should consider many things including:
    - Installing a sub-distribution board in the shed
    - Lighting in the shed (a different circuit would be required or a spur outlet could be installed on the socket circuit)
    - Cable size (a 2.5mm sq. is the minimum size permitted but a larger cable may be required if the cable run is long)
    - Ensuring that the sockets are protected by an RCD
    - Ensuring that a suitable MCB protects the circuit (16 or 20A B type generally)
    - Mechanical protection on the cable from the house to the shed (an SWA is a popular choice)
    - Mechanical protection for the sockets and cabling within the shed.
    - Earthing arrangements within the shed (perhaps unnecessary)
    - Routing of the cable from the main DB to the shed. Perhaps it is possible to extend an existing circuit.
    - Loading on the cable to ensure that one circuit is sufficient.
    - Nuisance tripping of the main RCD. Installation of a dedicated RCBO would be the best solution IMHO.
    - Testing the new circuit. Obviously a suitable calibrated test meter is required.

If you don't fully understand the above considerations then you will not be able to complete this work in a safe an compliant manner.

Anyway, good luck with it.
    Hopefully for your own safety you will listen to my and Luckysasha's advice and employ the services of a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭leptonite

Hi 2011, thanks for your polite and detailed post. I've since reviewed the project and will be using an electrician to complete the work.

There's no point taking chances with safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Hi 2011, thanks for your polite and detailed post. I've since reviewed the project and will be using an electrician to complete the work.

There's no point taking chances with safety.
    Good man. It's a quick job and theres nothing like the peace of mind of having a pro spec and install all the correct parts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement