Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying sounds coming from the RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Limit your fps to the max your screen can display.
    It's coil whine and if it's worst on a loading screen that's because it's trying to display a lot of fps and putting itself under pressure.

Try that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mantis1234

Yup coil whine. It happens when the fps gets very high. As far as I know there's no way to fix it. You'll just have to get used to it or send it back for a replacement, but I don't think its technically considered a fault so you may have trouble getting a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It's very common depending on the component, it can come from PSUs either. You do see people wheeling through 4 or 5 cards to find one that doesn't whine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yeah the AMD drivers have an FPS limit target. I actually suggest you limit it about 10 frames above your monitor Hz so small frame drops don't get near disrupting super smooth movement. So if you're on 60Hz try limit it to 70 globally for every game. Just remember the games need to be fullscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Thanks for all the replies lads.

I updated to the latest radeon driver and made sure to limit the fps, seems a bit more bearable now alright. I may change my psu soon out of paranoia more than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Your PSU is fine man, a 480 will run on 400 or 450w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

HowAreWe wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies lads.

I updated to the latest radeon driver and made sure to limit the fps, seems a bit more bearable now alright. I may change my psu soon out of paranoia more than anything else.

Do you know anyone nearby who has one you can swop out?
    It might just be your gpu but if you had a swop handy to pop in and try that would help narrow it down.

Chances are your psu is fine and will soldier on for another age. Depending on where you bought the card from you can RMA it due to the noise and take a chance the replacment is better.

Sapphire had a blurb that this generation of cards were going to use better quality components to narrow down the chances of whine I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,654 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Have you tried re-seating your card in the slot also?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

have had this irritation with my 7970 in the past. at the time they wouldnt RMA it but i believe this is now an acceptable reason to RMA. if its as loud and my 7970 was it pissed me off royally

Advertisement