Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jewish Graves Vandalised in Belfast

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

getzls wrote: »
    They are taught that. Their Prophet commands it according to the Koran.
    Kinda like how some loyalists are brought up to hate nationalists/roman catholics, or how republicans can be brought up to hate moderate unionists, or how some Israelis can be brought up to hate all Palestinians.

It's dishonest to omit how dreadfully some Israeli soldiers behave towards Palestinians too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Loyalists have have stronger links to C18, the EDL and the BNP than the Jewish people. There's one reason why they fly Israel flags and that's because the Republicans do the opposite. It's ridiculous to think that loyalists have a bond with Israel and the BNP at the same time.

According to the anti-racist network Northern Ireland "loyalists are linked to approximately 90% of racist attacks in the north". So there's a 90% chance this was loyalists.
    Observer survey reveals bombings, evictions and bullying in Protestant neighbourhoods
    Henry McDonald
    Sunday 22 October 2006 00.24 BST

Save for later

More than 90 per cent of all racist attacks over the last two years in Northern Ireland have occurred in loyalist areas, according to an Observer survey into every publicised incident between January 2005 and September 2006. In 2005 there were 31 racial assaults reported in the media and 28 of these took place in loyalist communities ranging from south Belfast to Portadown all the way across to Portavogie on the Ards Peninsula. The remaining three attacks were in Catholic areas including Derry and Ballycastle.
    So far this year there have been 33 racist attacks recorded and 30 of these were in Protestant areas. These assaults range from petrol bombings of the houses of migrant workers to the forced evictions of black women from loyalist estates. In one incident in March this year racists smeared excrement over a Catholic Church in the Upper Newtonards Road in east Belfast, which has become a place of worship for Filipino nurses working at nearby Ulster Hospital.

The latest alleged racist incident occurred last Monday at a secondary school in North Belfast. Jade Taylor, 13, was left badly shaken and bruised after she said she was assaulted by racists at Glengormley High School. Her Indian mother, Satwant Shanti Johal, has vowed not to send her child back until the school implemented a multicultural, anti-racist programme. The school has said it already runs a number of anti-racist projects.
    Many of the racists' targets have been vulnerable women and children including Alison Antoine, a black nurse, who was intimidated into leaving her home on the loyalist Rathkyle estate in Antrim Town in January. Racist graffiti and swastikas were daubed on to the front of her home.
    Anti-racist campaigners last night said the overall figures showed there was a serious problem within loyalist communities regarding racism.
    Davy Carlin, one of the founding members Anti-Racist Network in Northern Ireland, also called on unionist leaders to do more. 'Those figures do confirm that the majority of these attacks are happening in Protestant, mainly working class areas. Racist attacks do happen in both areas across the sectarian divide but we have to say the overt assaults are coming in Protestant areas.
    He claimed that the figures 'seriously underestimate' the real number of attacks against immigrants and ethnic minorities across Northern Ireland.
    Advertisement

'They are definitely unrecorded and unreported out of fear. Those people who have just come here to make a better life for themselves and their families are least likely to report them because they are outsiders in a new community.'

The Northern Ireland Council for Ethnic Minorities said the figures confirmed all their anecdotal evidence that most racist attacks were taking place in unionist areas.
    However, Patrick Yu, NICEM's director warned that racist attacks in Catholic areas has also been on the rise recently. 'NICEM heard recently of a case in Larne where the two sides, Catholics and Protestants, united together against migrant workers in the town.
    'In rural parts of Northern Ireland we have also heard that racist incidents against migrants are on the rise in Catholic areas. So whilst it's true that over the last few years there have been more attacks within Protestant communities, it is a mistake to say there are no racist incidents in the other side, a dangerous mistake,' Yu said.
    One of the reasons both the PSNI and anti-racist campaigners believe that attacks have been concentrated in Protestant working class areas is due to housing.

In Belfast, for instance, the majority of immigrants are being offered rental accommodation in de-populating Protestant inner city areas like the Village and Donegall Road. By contrast there are very few houses for rent in Catholic areas, where demand for homes continually outstrips supply.
    In sharp contrast to the loyalist south, Belfast republicans in the west of the city have published Welcome Packs for new immigrants coming into the constituency. Sinn Fein has also distributed leaflets in Polish welcoming migrant workers from Poland.
    However, the West Belfast Welcome Pack has come under criticism from Searchlight, the UK anti-fascist magazine that has been exposing neo-Nazi activity in Britain and Northern Ireland since the early Seventies.

Searchlight singled out the pack's advice to immigrants on dealing with the police. It reads that: 'The Police Force in the North of Ireland (the PSNI) is seen by most people here as an extension of the British State and has no support. You should avoid calling them into the area, unless it is a necessity.'
    Searchlight said such advice offered little encouragement to immigrants to report racist attacks to the police.
    Groups including the British National Party and far right groups such as Combat 18 have also tried to exploit the race issue in Northern Ireland.
    And while mainstream loyalist paramilitary groups have organised campaigns to portray racism as anti-British, many of their rank and file are behind the attacks. The Progressive Unionist Party has run a very public anti-racist campaign. However, members of the PUP's military wing, the Ulster Volunteer Force, were at the forefront of racist protests against the Chinese community in the Donegall Pass area of south Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

It's not, though. It's the wee scrotes who drink in the graveyard and who wreck any grave without distinction. They have no ideology at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

The jews are people of the book according to the prophet, so that not true.
    Must be why he had them beheaded then. The tyrant that he was. A child abuser too.

Grayson wrote: »
    SeanW wrote: »
    All the information I have is that computers were invented largely during World War II in Britain, by Alan Turing and Tommy Flowers. Any contribution made by Nazi Germany was more than outweighed by the harm they caused. The same is not true of Israel.
    • I never said that Israel should be beyond criticism. Let's be clear about that. I only outlined a case - based on the facts as I understand them -to TEMPER criticism. Not to place Israel above it.
    • Are you seriously comparing Israel to Nazi Germany?
    • Are you seriously comparing LGBT rights in Israel to those elsehwere in the Middle East? Again, the facts don't make for a good comparison.

So the way it works is that

1) if LGBT rights are affected in Israel I can criticise but only if I mention that it's worse elsewhere so Israel doesn't look as bad.

2) I can't mention for example that Israel has many apartheid like elements such as the fact that a muslim and jew are not allowed marry, unless I also mention something good that someone in Israel has done.

This is the problem with people who decide to pick a side. I'm not anti israel, I'm pro human rights. I'll criticise any country, no matter what religion the people are, if they violate the human rights of their own citizens and others.
    It makes me laugh though because the amount of attention brought on Israel far outweighs that of other countries.

The great liberation story of our time is or should be North Korea instead people just can't stand the fact the Jew now has the weapons and can defend itself. Instead of being gassed and abused they now have a country. It just wrangles people who deep down can't stand the Jewish people having a Jewish state.

That is the brutal truth of it. The outcry towards North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Iran and other such sh*t holes is pathetic compared to the democratic state of Israel. The only beacon of light and enlightenment in what is such a god awful hole of a region.

• Advertisement

It makes me laugh though because the amount of attention brought on Israel far outweighs that of other countries.

The great liberation story of our time is or should be North Korea instead people just can't stand the fact the Jew now has the weapons and can defend itself. Instead of being gassed and abused they now have a country. It just wrangles people who deep down can't stand the Jewish people having a Jewish state.

That is the brutal truth of it. The outcry towards North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Iran and other such sh*t holes is pathetic compared to the democratic state of Israel. The only beacon of light and enlightenment in what is such a god awful hole of a region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Because people just ignore the whole middle east and never question the morality of laws in those places. Islam just gets a free ride and is never, ever criticised in the West.

Are you living under a rock?

And once again you try to deflect something wrong in Israel by bring up other countries. Am I appalled by North Korea? yes. Does that mean that everywhere else gets a free pass as long as they're not as bad as North Korea? No, of course it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Aren't the brethren one of the list tribes of Israel?

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Yes I agree though they just happened to be dick heads of the Roman Catholic faith dick heads.
    Get real!!

Sometimes there's subtle sectarianism from the previously frozen poster and others and then there's this.

It may be worth thinking your way out of this box dude and seeing more of the world. You're being brought up to hate and it's effecting the quality of life of your community for decades now. Hate has been put on the forefront of economy, peace and quality of life in your community for too long now. See what the rest f the world sees and be the better person.
    I haven't been brought up to hate.
    I am just stating the oh so very obvious religion of those involved.
    You would be very surprised if you knew who one of my Catholic friends is.
    Of course I will not state the name of this person.

Posters on here are nearly taking a fit to blame the damage of the graves on Prods.
    Your along with others no little about the terrority surrounding this cemetery.
    No go for prods.

The latest alleged racist incident occurred last Monday at a secondary school in North Belfast. Jade Taylor, 13, was left badly shaken and bruised after she said she was assaulted by racists at Glengormley high school.

[/QUOTE][/quote]

Sorry but this post totally discredits you by being so incorrect.
    Really anything else you say should be completely ignored.

• Advertisement

Kinda like how some loyalists are brought up to hate nationalists/roman catholics, or how republicans can be brought up to hate moderate unionists, or how some Israelis can be brought up to hate all Palestinians.

It's dishonest to omit how dreadfully some Israeli soldiers behave towards Palestinians too.

Hmm.
    Trying to remember who called Ulsterbus Protestants to Nazis.
    Was it Mary Mcleese?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I haven't been brought up to hate.

Posters on here are nearly taking a fit to blame the damage of the graves on Prods.
    Your along with others no little about the terrority surrounding this cemetery.

The same can be said of you insisting it was "republicans".

Because people just ignore the whole middle east and never question the morality of laws in those places. Islam just gets a free ride and is never, ever criticised in the West.

Are you living under a rock?

And once again you try to deflect something wrong in Israel by bring up other countries. Am I appalled by North Korea? yes. Does that mean that everywhere else gets a free pass as long as they're not as bad as North Korea? No, of course it doesn't.
    Give me a break. The response to Israel from street protests says it all. Not near the same amount of effort put into protesting against North Korea or Saudi Arabia. But then those two countries aren't Jewish states. Many people just hate Jews.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Give me a break. The response to Israel from street protests says it all. Not near the same amount of effort put into protesting against North Korea or Saudi Arabia. But then those two countries aren't Jewish states. Many people just hate Jews.

Not a word about Erdogan's megalomaniac behaviour, the rape and brutalisation of the coup soldiers, the recent ''elimination'' of 150 Kurds, including women and children. Not a word about the disappeared people of Zimbabwe.Nothing about North Korean dictator murdering people with anti aircraft guns.

Watching ''Pallywood'' videos is some peoples' particular fetish! I don't think ''many'' people hate Jews, just a small, vocal bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Not a word about Erdogan's megalomaniac behaviour, the rape and brutalisation of the coup soldiers, the recent ''elimination'' of 150 Kurds, including women and children. Not a word about the disappeared people of Zimbabwe.Nothing about North Korean dictator murdering people with anti aircraft guns.

Watching ''Pallywood'' videos is some peoples' particular fetish! I don't think ''many'' people hate Jews, just a small, vocal bunch.

You say not a word but every one of those stories has been on the front page of the guardian. Our governments have spoken out against Erdogan.

As for the hating jews bit, I'm sure there are some that do. There's always fringe groups that are like that. You're right though, I don't think the majority are like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

You say not a word but every one of those stories has been on the front page of the guardian. Our governments have spoken out against Erdogan.

As for the hating jews bit, I'm sure there are some that do. There's always fringe groups that are like that. You're right though, I don't think the majority are like that.

I was thinking of people on social media who criticise Israel but ignore all of the above for the most part, sometimes entirely. And MLP's pose about protests. No BDS movement against any other nations, either, is there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Indeed like the loyalists in the EDL and C18.

steddyeddy wrote: »

Indeed like the loyalists in the EDL and C18.
    I don't know ANY loyalists in the EDL or C18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

There are some very strange people on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

It just wrangles people who deep down can't stand the Jewish people having a Jewish state.
    Your hugely sincere ;) concern for the acceptance of Jewish people is heartwarming but what you won't and will never admit is that people who are not remotely anti semitic can be disgusted by the treatment meted out on innocent Palestinians by some Israeli soldiers and other elements of the Israeli state, it is nothing to do with being wrangled by the Jewish people having a Jewish state.
    You need a geography lesson if you genuinely think North Korea is in the same region. Personally I would certainly prefer - by infinity - to live in Israel, but that doesn't mean I cannot simultaneously be critical of some of its policies in relation to Palestine.
    As were A Little Pony, Iwasfrozen and you in blaming republicans/nationalists. Some of you even stated as fact that it was republicans/nationalists.
    Could you elaborate?
    Hmm.
    Was it Mary Mcleese?
    It was (as I said, there are republicans brought up to hate all unionists). Appalling as many loyalists were to nationalists in the years up to and after the civil rights movement, it was a horrible, inflammatory thing to say, and an insult to those who perished under the nazis (although that does in no way mitigate how nationalists were treated) however what I thought was strange was the way some high profile loyalists reacted - not an objection to being compared to the nazis, but to the way "the other side" were not mentioned. :pac:

• Advertisement

This is a battle you can't win. Israel is going nowhere and with the help of Jewish bankers in America and the US government Palestine is doomed. Gaza won't exist in 20 years time. Once the Jewish settlers have moved in.

Sorry to interrupt your Zionist boll*xology, but the last settlers actually pulled out of Gaza in 2005.

It just wrangles people who deep down can't stand the Jewish people having a Jewish state.
    Your hugely sincere ;) concern for the acceptance of Jewish people is heartwarming but what you won't and will never admit is that people who are not remotely anti semitic can be disgusted by the treatment meted out on innocent Palestinians by some Israeli soldiers and other elements of the Israeli state, it is nothing to do with being wrangled by the Jewish people having a Jewish state.
    You need a geography lesson if you genuinely think North Korea is in the same region. Personally I would certainly prefer - by infinity - to live in Israel, but that doesn't mean I cannot simultaneously be critical of some of its policies in relation to Palestine.
    As were A Little Pony, Iwasfrozen and you in blaming republicans/nationalists. Some of you even stated as fact that it was republicans/nationalists.
    Could you elaborate?
    Hmm.
    Was it Mary Mcleese?
    It was (as I said, there are republicans brought up to hate all unionists). Appalling as many loyalists were to nationalists in the years up to and after the civil rights movement, it was a horrible, inflammatory thing to say, and an insult to those who perished under the nazis (although that does in no way mitigate how nationalists were treated) however what I thought was strange was the way some high profile loyalists reacted - not an objection to being compared to the nazis, but to the way "the other side" were not mentioned. :pac:
    I didn't say North Korea was in the Middle East. The double standards on attention towards Israel and other states is pretty obvious.

Advertisement