Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New upper back pain, clipless pedals?

Options
  • 28-08-2016 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

I have been training for a 100k cycle on my hybrid, doing 60/70k spins with no real problems. I got new clipless pedals (formerly using flat pedals) and used them on the 100k. ( I know , there were extenuating circumstances). Within about 30k I started getting bad pain between the shoulder blades. I know there are a range of possible causes for this, but I never had this pain before and the only change was the new pedals and shoes. I am trying to eliminate the possible causes. Would it be possible that some tiny change based on foot position could cause an immediate back problem so quickly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think upper back problems are often caused by over-reaching or just lack of specific fitness for cycling.

Your shoes/pedals could have changed the effective saddle height but I'd expect that to be manifested as lower back pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Thanks. Am pretty ok for the fitness but maybe the training pushed me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I get pains in my shoulders when I'm leaning too far forward, and not cycling hard enough. If you're pushing hard on the pedals, your core strength should balance the weight of your torso when leaning forward, while if taking it easier, you'll have more weight supported through your arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Lumen wrote: »
    I think upper back problems are often caused by over-reaching or just lack of specific fitness for cycling.

Your shoes/pedals could have changed the effective saddle height but I'd expect that to be manifested as lower back pain.

As Lumen stated your effective sadlde height has changed moving to clipless. This is related to the shift of your foot from mid foot to toes with the cleats. This may have some effect on you or perhaps as a result you shifted body position and now are experiencing more stretch. I would check your saddle height is correct with the new cleats.

As Lumen stated your effective sadlde height has changed moving to clipless. This is related to the shift of your foot from mid foot to toes with the cleats. This may have some effect on you or perhaps as a result you shifted body position and now are experiencing more stretch. I would check your saddle height is correct with the new cleats.

Thanks 68, could I also solve this by moving the cleats further back on the shoes?

• Advertisement

ankles wrote: »
    Thanks 68, could I also solve this by moving the cleats further back on the shoes?

I should also say they are the mountain bike cleats and not racing cleats

Advertisement