Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the most pretentious part of Dublin?

Options
  • 28-08-2016 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Was up from the country yesterday to collect my folks from the ferry in Dun Laoghaire, so had a few hours to spare ..so dropped into a cafe in monkstown..for breakfast.

And i have to say the ears nearly dropped off me with all the D4 pompous claptrap from the various tables..."oh my Simon is going to Trinity in September" "oh i'll have to change my BMW soon its nearly two years old" "i think i'll sell the house for 1 million thats a fair price" it was almost like a game everyone trying to out BS each other:rolleyes:

a world apart from where i come from i tell ya

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The ferry in Dun Laoghaire? Yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

fryup wrote: »
    Was up from the country yesterday to collect my folks from the ferry in Dun Laoghaire, so had a few hours to spare ..so dropped into a cafe in monkstown..for breakfast.

And i have to say the ears nearly dropped off me with all the D4 pompous claptrap from the various tables..."oh my Simon is going to Trinity in September" "oh i'll have to change my BMW soon its nearly two years old" "i think i'll sell the house for 1 million thats a fair price" it was almost like a game everyone trying to out BS each other:rolleyes:

I've another idea where the bs lies in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

I've another idea where the bs lies in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Ohh fancy you having your own yacht.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Sheriff street

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

He must mean a cruise ship.

There are no ferries coming into Dunlaoghaire for the past two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Why must you turn my office into a house of lies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

C'mon OP tell the truth, no more bs about ferries in Dunlaoire.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Monkstown is not in D4. This whole thread is based on a foundation of falsehoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

The biggest hole in this story is that they would be eating in the same place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Well most of "Foxrock" is infact in Deansgrange but they like to claim it as the rock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I don't see what any of that has to do with being pretentious. Those people are actually higher-middle class toffs. They're not pretending to be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Your story is full of holes, OP.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

vicwatson wrote: »
    Well most of "Foxrock" is infact in Deansgrange but they like to claim it as the rock

It's a well known fact that Foxrock is the largest area in Dublin covering an area encompassing everywhere from Killiney to Ballsbridge, depending on who you speak to. Obviously parts of it overlap with the second largest area in Dublin, which is Killiney itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I don't see what any of that has to do with being pretentious. Those people are actually higher-middle class toffs. They're not pretending to be.

Billy Connolly had a great sketch about these knobs.

Middle class toffs,more like knobs ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

So much potential to reel the op in wasted, Op a question ; did this happen a few years ago and you thought you'd talk about it now and that you would move it to yesterday to stay current or is it simply a complete act of fantasy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

OP has over 8.5K posts on here, how many of those can be trusted now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Several of my country colleague's kids are off to Trinity over the next few weeks. Gurteen College of Agriculture must be below them. Upwardly mobile, pretentious brats. Who do they think they are getting the requisite Leaving Cert results. Probably haven't even gotten Bishop's dispensation.

Hope your pretend breakfast was nice, OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Lies, lies, lies.

I frequent those cafes on a weekly basis and never hear any of that bolloxology.

Admit you are making this up or you risk looking like a complete tool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Throw a spanner in the works lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ricardo1

Tigger wrote: »
    So much potential to reel the op in wasted, Op a question ; did this happen a few years ago and you thought you'd talk about it now and that you would move it to yesterday to stay current or is it simply a complete act of fantasy?

No. I think the OP was watching Damo & Ivor last night and just letting off some steam.

There's another programme called Made in Chelsea OP. Have a look and tell us how pretentious SW3 London is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not sure if it's pretentious or beyond cool to call a cruise ship a ferry.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Mary63 wrote: »
    He must mean a cruise ship.

There are no ferries coming into Dunlaoghaire for the past two years.

http://dlharbour.ie/cruise-schedule/

And, according to this, there hasn't been a cruise ship in Dún Laoghaire in over two weeks. I think the OP is telling porkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Peregrine wrote: »
    http://dlharbour.ie/cruise-schedule/

And, according to this, there hasn't been a cruise ship in Dún Laoghaire in over two weeks. I think the OP is telling porkies.

To be fair it doesn't take checking ferry schedules to know the OP is lying. The whole post is ridiculous.

And at some point in future if I'm proud of my kids for getting their course in Trinity makes me pretentious, then sign me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Even though my toes are rigidly curled inwards with embarrassment for the OP , I wonder what was his/her motivation for this tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I sent the chauffeur out in the Duesenberg to collect my butler from the Howth tram last week, and he mentioned that there were some very uppidy merchants out in Kingstown all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Hunchback wrote: »
    Even though my toes are rigidly curled inwards with embarrassment for the OP , I wonder what was his/her motivation for this tale.

Self loathing I'd presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Admit you are making this up or you risk looking like a complete tool.

That ferry has sailed!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Busted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Billy Connolly had a great sketch about these knobs.

Middle class toffs,more like knobs ha ha

Good one.

Advertisement