Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the most pretentious part of Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Give the guy a break.

It's obviously an impressionistic vignette written from inside a Bagatelle song.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Zaph wrote: »
    It's a well known fact that Foxrock is the largest area in Dublin covering an area encompassing everywhere from Killiney(Ballybrack) to Ballsbridge, depending on who you speak to. Obviously parts of it overlap with the second largest area in Dublin, which is Killiney itself.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

The ferry in Dun Laoghaire? Yesterday?

There hasn't been a ferry in Dun Laoghaire in 3+ years, maybe the odd one at Christmas and they have completely pulled out of the harbour since April..I smell bull****!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Aye Bosun wrote: »
    I smell bull****!

There is not a hint of male bovine ordure in Monkstown. Chanel No 5 is all.

One's thread is balderdash & piffle, I say!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

El Tarangu wrote:
    Good one.

El Tarangu wrote:
    ... ...

I've seen it a few time's it's funny alright,Billy Connolly never seems to have a negative slant at old money or the working class.

It's always the middle class pullover wannabe toffs he seems to take the proverbial out of.

I suppose when you have nothing or everything and are happy out its check mate isn't it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There is not a hint of male bovine ordure in Monkstown. Chanel No 5 is all.

One's thread is balderdash & piffle, I say!

Enough with the fancy mod talk.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

There hasn't been a ferry in Dun Laoghaire in 3+ years, maybe the odd one at Christmas and they have completely pulled out of the harbour since April..I smell bull****!

Not that I can't smell the BS but:

http://www.dublinbaycruises.com/cruises/dun-laoghaire-howth/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

endacl wrote: »
    Enough with the fancy mod talk.

:mad:

No worries, bud. I'm back now. I had me butler look after me account while I was at a 'Power-Tripping' class. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

fryup wrote: »
    all the D4 pompous claptrap

- "oh my Simon is going to Trinity in September"
    - "oh i'll have to change my BMW soon its nearly two years old"
    - "i think i'll sell the house for 1 million thats a fair price"

a world apart from where i come from i tell ya

Boggers don't go to Trinity or buy/sell cars/houses now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats with all this mud slinging???

they were on the day ferry/cruise > Howth to Dun laoghaire

and if you must know the name of the cafe was Cafe du Journal, with a whole pile of tables & chairs outside, just down from the car dealership Jeeze!

and yes it was full of D4 knobends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Was up from the country yesterday to collect my folks from the ferry in Dun Laoghaire, so had a few hours to spare ..so dropped into a cafe in monkstown..for breakfast.

And i have to say the ears nearly dropped off me with all the D4 pompous claptrap from the various tables..."oh my Simon is going to Trinity in September" "oh i'll have to change my BMW soon its nearly two years old" "i think i'll sell the house for 1 million thats a fair price" it was almost like a game everyone trying to out BS each other:rolleyes:

a world apart from where i come from i tell ya

In what world is having a child going to college / university , buying a new car or selling your house pretentious ?

To be honest sounds quite similar to conversations you'd hear in Cafes all over the city.

You can probably add other posh "notions" topics such as foreign holidays , books , theatre and jobs to that list :P

In what world is having a child going to college / university , buying a new car or selling your house pretentious ?

To be honest sounds quite similar to conversations you'd hear in Cafes all over the city.

You can probably add other posh "notions" topics such as foreign holidays , books , theatre and jobs to that list :P

Stag weekends?

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

whats with all this mud slinging???

they were on the day ferry/cruise > Howth to Dun laoghaire

and if you must know the name of the cafe was Cafe du Journal, with a whole pile of tables & chairs outside, just down from the car dealership Jeeze!

and yes it was full of D4 knobends

Bit late to be having breakfast, wasn't it?
    How did your folks get to Howth in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^

all day breakfast,

the ferry, return trip

^^^^^^^^^^

all day breakfast,

the ferry, return trip

Not really a 'Howth to DunLaoghaire' cruise then, was it? Asides from not being a ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Another possible explanation, apart from simply making up stories that is, is that you have a massive inferiority complex. This could cause you to overreact to perfectly normal conversations about children going to college and buying new cars. You seem to have a problem with the accents, perhaps that is what tipped you over.

^^^^^^^^^^

all day breakfast,

the ferry, return trip

Were they serving shoulder chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Mav11 wrote: »

That's not a ferry, it's tourist boat. The ferry was operated by Stenaline, who have not being operating a service in the harbour for years..at present all the infrastructure for the ferry service is been taken down. Definitely no ferry here..my office window overlooks it!

That's not a ferry, it's tourist boat. The ferry was operated by Stenaline, who have not being operating a service in the harbour for years..at present all the infrastructure for the ferry service is been taken down. Definitely no ferry here..my office window overlooks it!

No doubt the OP's story is BS , just odd the fake topics of conversation he picked to illustrate the pretentiousness in Dublin.

Kids going to college, buying and selling property (even at in and around 1M) and upgrading cars are hardly pompous pretentious topics in the modern world.

Definite shoulder chips in evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Morto for you OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

So you came up from the country to collect your folks off the ferry from Howth to Dun Laoghaire. Did they come up specifically to do the trip on the ferry? I mean that's a route the DART services, it's not a long trip. Were they up for a few days or for another reason? Find it hard to believe they would be up just to take a ferry trip between the two points! I initially thought you were trying to say they were getting the ferry back from the UK or something (in which case definitely not to Dun Laoghaire). There's a definite smell of BS here.

You're also exaggerating your idea of pretentiousness, €1m for a house isn't that much in some areas, especially not in Dublin considering the inflated property market & shortage of housing. Changing a car every few years is not as unusual these days given the PCP deals available from most dealerships either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Another possible explanation, apart from simply making up stories that is, is that you have a massive inferiority complex. This could cause you to overreact to perfectly normal conversations about children going to college and buying new cars. You seem to have a problem with the accents, perhaps that is what tipped you over.

Reminds me of the guy who visited the psychiatrist because he had an inferiority complex. After a brief exam the psychiatrist told him not to worry; he didn't have a complex- he was just inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Perhaps the OP should have gone to After Hours for some honest debate on this topic, instead of being harangued as he has been here.

Apparently there is very little pretentiousness in Dublin, judging by the majority of responses.

:rolleyes:

freddiek wrote: »
    Perhaps the OP should have gone to After Hours for some honest debate on this topic, instead of being harangued as he has been here.

Apparently there is very little pretentiousness in Dublin, judging by the majority of responses.

:rolleyes:

if you want honest debate why start it with a clearly made up story , doesn't seem very honest.

Think the OP wanted another middle/upper class bashing thread, but it would appear that backfired spectacularly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Here's an 'out' for the OP -

His parents were up in Dublin and the boat from DL to Howth is one of a number of things on their list they wanted to do.

I have to admit I grew up in Killiney and now live in the countryside and fancy doing the boat trip myself sometime.

Hunchback wrote: »
    Here's an 'out' for the OP -

His parents were up in Dublin and the boat from DL to Howth is one of a number of things on their list they wanted to do.

I have to admit I grew up in Killiney and now live in the countryside and fancy doing the boat trip myself sometime.

on an aside , that trip is well worth doing on a nice day its absolutely lovely, the trip out to Ireland's Eye is also a class day out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

on an aside , that trip is well worth doing on a nice day its absolutely lovely, the trip out to Ireland's Eye is also a class day out

Dublin Bay (especially on a sunny day) is one of Dublin's most under utilised resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

But are there any pretentious people on board?

if you want honest debate why start it with a clearly made up story , doesn't seem very honest.

Pretentious even.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Think the OP wanted another middle/upper class bashing thread, but it would appear that backfired spectacularly

He's not bashing the upper or middle classes.

He's having a laugh at the kinda people most laugh at.

These people who are false and want the lower class to look up to them and the upper echelons to accept them.

I come from old money myself and we usually laugh at these Sally's trying to be like us.
    Putting on Bob Geldolf accents and all that.

Advertisement