Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the most pretentious part of Dublin?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

freddiek wrote: »
    Perhaps the OP should have gone to After Hours for some honest debate on this topic, instead of being harangued as he has been here.

If you want honest debate you don't start with a really, really, really badly made up story, pretending something has happened. I lived in Monkstown for a year, there is PUH-LENTY of rich person shenanigans in the Salt Café to have a bitter little 'I wish I was rich too' laugh about. But 'ooooh my Simon is off to Trinity' is clear & utter rubbish because a) they wouldn't find it something to boast about because they assume Simon will go to third level b) only people with enormous chips on their shoulders find the concept of going to Trinity pretentious and c) Simon is likely off to UCD with his friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

He's not bashing the upper or middle classes.

He's having a laugh at the kinda people most laugh at.

These people who are false and want the lower class to look up to them and the upper echelons to accept them.

I come from old money myself and we usually laugh at these Sally's trying to be like us.
    Putting on Bob Geldolf accents and all that.

i've no time for the fake OC'esque accents you hear around dublin , but i think the OP's examples were so beyond out of touch with what can be considered pretentious and the story was so quickly shown up as BS.

im not really sure there's anyone looking for the lower classes to look up to them definitely a bit of one upmanship among groups of middle class friends and that but for the most part i don't think any of them give a second though to any working class people that might be eevsdropping on their conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

These people who are false and want the lower class to look up to them and the upper echelons to accept them.

I think the people you mean aren't even aware of the 'lower classes', the one-upmanship is reserved solely for their peers.

They don't care about the opinion of povs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I think the people you mean aren't even aware of the 'lower classes', the one-upmanship is reserved solely for their peers.

Who would their peers be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Exactly what peers means - people of similar status.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote:
    Exactly what peers means - people of similar status.

People who kinda talk funny like.

People who kinda talk funny like.

Well if the OP could understand what they were saying, they weren't talking as funny as some.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

endacl wrote:
    That ferry has sailed!

Brilliant. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

freddiek wrote:
    Perhaps the OP should have gone to After Hours for some honest debate on this topic, instead of being harangued as he has been here.

Honest debate in after hours? When did this start? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

fryup wrote: »
    Was up from the country yesterday to collect my folks from the ferry in Dun Laoghaire, so had a few hours to spare ..so dropped into a cafe in monkstown..for breakfast.

And i have to say the ears nearly dropped off me with all the D4 pompous claptrap from the various tables..."oh my Simon is going to Trinity in September" "oh i'll have to change my BMW soon its nearly two years old" "i think i'll sell the house for 1 million thats a fair price" it was almost like a game everyone trying to out BS each other:rolleyes:

a world apart from where i come from i tell ya

If you are from the country why are you asking this question in the Dublin City thread.

If you want to sneer at Dubs, then do it with your pals wherever you live.

Everywhere in Ireland you have rich people and poor people. I don't see that many pretentious people in any part of country. Spend a while in London or New York and you'll appreciate that.

If someone wants to send their kid to Trinity College, what is so pretentious about that. Its a good college in a beautiful setting in the city centre. It doesn't cost any more or any less than sending a kid to UCD, or DCU, or Maynooth or UL. It says a lot more about you than them to be honest.

I can say this hand on heart, I think Dubs are the least pretentious people in the country. They don't do the 'big man' act that you sometimes get down the country, especially amongst younger people. And I'm not from Dublin myself by the way.

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote:

I think you are taking the OP a lot more seriously than they deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

fryup wrote: »
    Was up from the country yesterday to collect my folks from the ferry in Dun Laoghaire, so had a few hours to spare ..so dropped into a cafe in monkstown..for breakfast.

And i have to say the ears nearly dropped off me with all the D4 pompous claptrap from the various tables..

a world apart from where i come from i tell ya

You do know that neither Dun Laoghaire nor Monkstown are anywhere near D4, don't you?

Or maybe you don't. Here's a useful link for you.

First Up wrote:
    Well if the OP could understand what they were saying, they weren't talking as funny as some.

Talking about the weather and voluntary work no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

The East Pier and West Pier of course, but not the Coal Harbour.

Tombo2001 wrote:

Some of these people could be from Newmarket on fergus.....
    I know a guy from there and his voice steps into D4 gear when trying to chat to women or impress his peers....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Zaph wrote: »
    It's a well known fact that Foxrock is the largest area in Dublin covering an area encompassing everywhere from Killiney to Ballsbridge, depending on who you speak to. Obviously parts of it overlap with the second largest area in Dublin, which is Killiney itself.

Even the Foxrock sorting/delivery office isn't in Foxrock, it's in Carrickmines, but it doesn't stop them using Foxrock, :D
    (wonder do they get "Your correct address is" stickers on their post?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The OP's question is a moot one. Being pretentious transcends all socio-demographic classes, backgrounds, neighbourhoods and cultures. You will experience it in Finglas as much as you will experience it in Foxrock. There are insecure people everywhere and being snobby or pretentious is one way of manifesting that insecurity. People who are secure about themselves do not feel threatened by others who are different (wealth, lifestyle or otherwise)

One of the nicest, most sincere, kindest people I know is a billionaire who lives in the USA (sorry, I know that sounds like pretentious name dropping:o). He treats everyone the same and he has zero airs and graces about him and does not look down his nose at anyone. I have also met many people from well known deprived areas (or who were originally from those areas and are desperate to pretend they weren't) who are constantly judging people by their material possessions, who they associate with, their beliefs and opinions if somewhat different to theirs, their religion, their skin colour, their nationality and these people have the most ignorant and narrow minded views based on their own misguided notions of superiority.

So OP, you will find such people in all Dublin post codes...but yes, you'll also find decent people in all such post codes too. Don't be upsetting yourself by what you overhear in a cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

Ask Chris Terry, the owner of said Cafe, if he tolerates pretentious people, Likely you will get a smack in the mouth for being so pretentious. So be warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I enjoyed the OPs google of dun laoghaire boat trips and monkstown cafes then a quick peek at street view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

salmocab wrote: »
    I enjoyed the OPs google of dun laoghaire boat trips and monkstown cafes then a quick peek at street view.

i wonder if he checked they do all day breakfast
    https://www.google.ie/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE701IE701&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=all%20day%20breakfast%20monkstown&oq=all%20day%20breakfast%20monkstown&aqs=chrome..69i57.7785j0j7

if you google all day breakfast monkstown

• Advertisement
Advertisement