Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tractors on the motorway

• 28-08-2016 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Is there restrictions on tractors been driven on a motorway??

Was driving home on the m7 yesterday cruising along at 70 mph when all of a sudden i was confronted by a line of traffic behind a tractor towing a high trailer full of hay he was barely doing 35 mph there was a constant flow of traffic in the outer lane so overtaking was cumbersome.

Blew him out of it when i passed, really p!ssed me off!:mad:

so whats the rules on this...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

No restrictions if they are traveling at 50 km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Sam Kade wrote: »

Are both tractor and trailer not required to be officially plated for a speed of 50kmh or more?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sam Kade wrote: »

Is a tractor capable of going that fast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Fastrc can do up to 80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Chippy01

godtabh wrote: »
    Is a tractor capable of going that fast?

You'd be surprised how quick a modern tractor can shift along ..

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »

Was driving home on the m7 yesterday cruising along at 70 mph when all of a sudden i was confronted by a line of traffic behind a tractor towing a high trailer full of hay he was barely doing 35 mph there was a constant flow of traffic in the outer lane so overtaking was cumbersome.

Here you go.

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/its-legal-to-drive-a-tractor-and-trailer-on-the-motorway-but-theres-a-catch/

"If you are driving your tractor on the motorway and towing a trailer, the trailer must be capable by design of being drawn at a speed of 50km/h or higher, the Road Safety Authority (RSA) has confirmed.

Tractors can be driven on the motorway in the Republic of Ireland, providing that the tractor is capable of reaching a minimum speed of 50km/h.

Since January 1, 2016, both tractors and trailers are required to be fitted with a speed disc indicating their design speed.

However, if you’re towing a trailer you must drive at the right speed and the maximum legal speed limit for a vehicle towing a trailer is 80km/h.

The RSA advises all road users to ensure your load is evenly distributed to reduce the chance of the trailer swaying, especially in high winds or when large vehicles overtake you.

Furthermore, you’re not allowed use the outside lane of the motorway if you’re towing a trailer or a horsebox. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

According to that the tractor only has to be capable of reaching 50km

50km/h is the minimum speed limit allowable on motorways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Chippy01 wrote: »
    50km/h is the minimum speed limit allowable on motorways.

We have no minimum limits on our motorways. A vehicle must be able to exceed 50km/h to use a motorway but they don't have to do it, it's perfectly legal for me to drive my >160km/h car at 5 km/h on our motorways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Madness. I came up behind a tractor recently on the M1 which was crawling along. When it was passing an adjoining on ramp there were cars forced to slow right down, make room for cars joining the motorway & wait for a clear gap to safely overtake. It was quite dangerous. The cars would not have been exceeding the speed limit but given the huge difference in speed between them and the tractor it caused problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Del2005 wrote: »
    We have no minimum limits on our motorways. A vehicle must be able to exceed 50km/h to use a motorway but they don't have to do it, it's perfectly legal for me to drive my >160km/h car at 5 km/h on our motorways.

I think you'd be done for dangerous driving, or driving without due care then, unless everyone else was doing that speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Vehicle must be capable of doing minimum 50, but there is no minimum limit.

Of course if you endanger other road users you can be done, but not just for driving under 50.

A trailer cannot be towed at a speed greater than 40kmh without being officially plated. A non plated trailer is therefore not legal on a motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Are both tractor and trailer not required to be officially plated for a speed of 50kmh or more?

Tractors capable of 40kmh or more require a plate for vehicles pre January 2016, all vehicles first registered on or after January 1 2016 need a speed plate.

wonski wrote: »

Of course if you endanger other road users you can be done, but not just for driving under 50.

Indeed there is no minimum speed on a motorway.

Unless a tractor is plated for 50kmh or above or if it's taxed as an agricultural vehicle then a tractor is not legally capable of reaching 50kmh and so is technically illegal on a motorway.

OP comes on complaining about tractors, and we all go off on a speed tangent.

I guess it must all be down to interpretation though.

The M-way sign I posted says ''NO - Slow vehicles (under 50km/h)", which in itself indicates that the slowest permissible speed is 50km/h.
    If that is the case, then it is telling you (without putting it in big letters) that 50km/h is the minimum speed limit.

Ha, most speed limit threads are about the top end of the scale. It's refreshing to see the other end.

A trailer cannot be towed at a speed greater than 40kmh without being officially plated. A non plated trailer is therefore not legal on a motorway.

Same applies to the tractor pulling the trailer.

GM228 wrote: »
    Same applies to the tractor pulling the trailer.

Agreed but I was responding to a post suggesting that it was just down to the tractor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Are single axle trailers limited to 50km/h? I mean the little ones you see on cars.
    Can't blame a tractor driver for using a motorway cos I'd probably do it myself in their situation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

goz83 wrote: »
    I think you'd be done for dangerous driving, or driving without due care then, unless everyone else was doing that speed.

I'd be driving with great care and how can driving slowly be dangerous since speed kills?
    OP comes on complaining about tractors, and we all go off on a speed tangent.

I guess it must all be down to interpretation though.

The M-way sign I posted says ''NO - Slow vehicles (under 50km/h)", which in itself indicates that the slowest permissible speed is 50km/h.
    If that is the case, then it is telling you (without putting it in big letters) that 50km/h is the minimum speed limit.

Ha, most speed limit threads are about the top end of the scale. It's refreshing to see the other end.

The signs on a motorway aren't the law and according to the Road Traffic Act 1997 there's no restriction on what speed a vehicle needs to be able to do to drive on a motorway. It also looks like HGVs can drive in the right most lane now also:confused:
    33 Rules for Traffic on Motorways

33. (1) A driver on a motorway shall not—

( a ) drive a vehicle against the direction of traffic flow;

( b ) drive a vehicle on or across any part of the motorway which is not a carriageway;

( c ) stop or park a vehicle on any part of a motorway;

( d ) drive a vehicle of a class for which an ordinary speed limit of not more than 50 mph is prescribed by regulations under section 44 (1) of the Road Traffic Act, 1961 in the traffic lane nearest the right hand edge of a carriageway having more than one traffic lane except where it is necessary to proceed in that lane due to an obstruction or because another lane or lanes is or are for the time being closed to traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It also looks like HGVs can drive in the right most lane now also:confused:

No, HGVs both rigid and articulated (which are limited to 90km/h) can't use most right lane...
    Also any other vehicle towing trailer (which are limite to 80km/h) also can't use most right lane.
    Same as city buses designed to carry standing passengers (and limited to 65km/h) can't use most right lane.

Buses and coaches not desidened to carry standing passengers (which are limited to 100km/h) can use most right lane.
    Same as pretty much any other vehicle not listed above.

Law you quoted was amended couple years ago, to limit any vehicle with ordianry speed limit of 90km/h or less from using most right lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Here they are: http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/good-driving.html#10

" Using a horn

Only use a horn to:

warn other road users of on-coming danger, or
    make them aware of your presence for safety reasons when reasonably necessary.

Remember, the horn does not give you the right of way.

Do not use a horn in a built-up area between 23.30hrs and 07.00hrs unless there is a traffic emergency.
    "

I'd be driving with great care and how can driving slowly be dangerous since speed kills?

Motorways are intended to move large volumes of traffic quickly.

A slow moving vehicle on an otherwise free flowing motorway creates a rolling roadblock, it effectively closes a lane of the motorway, forcing all other traffic through the overtaking lane.

Inevitability you'll have trucks in the left lane with no opportunity to move into the overtaking lane due to traffic already overtaking the trucks, leaving them moving at the same speed as the slow moving vehicle until a gap opens up in the overtaking lane. When they move across, they're moving significantly slower than the traffic coming from behind and take a bit to accelerate, it causes bedlam.

In general, if trucks are overtaking you on the motorway, its a good indicator thay you're causing significant disruption to the flow of traffic. There will of course be times that everything moves slowly due to heavy traffic but trucks don't tend to be overtaking in those circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

So let me get this right. It's ok to run a motorway straight through a farm, often splitting it in half, CPO's being enforced etc. But god forbid the farmer wants to use the motorway to get to a different part of his farm.

It's a motorway! It has a permanent overtaking lane! If you come upon a tractor 'suddenly' on a straight motorway, I suggest a visit to Specsavers.

pablo128 wrote: »
    So let me get this right. It's ok to run a motorway straight through a farm, often splitting it in half, CPO's being enforced etc. But god forbid the farmer wants to use the motorway to get to a different part of his farm.

It's a motorway! It has a permanent overtaking lane! If you come upon a tractor 'suddenly' on a straight motorway, I suggest a visit to Specsavers.

Have you any examples of a farm being split by a motorway without an overpass or underpass for livestock and farm machinary, or at least easy access on local roads?

Have you any examples of a farm being split by a motorway without an overpass or underpass for livestock and farm machinary, or at least easy access on local roads?

Here's one with an unusable underpass. https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiOgsvQuuTOAhVjDcAKHTApDtAQFghCMAc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fconnachttribune.ie%2Fill-have-to-teach-cattle-to-swim-253%2F&usg=AFQjCNGGtxGh39olT2FK4b-F8SgD6ZLogQ&sig2=SU_l0-AQksd7kYTHXgK-VQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

The old roads are still there for tractors, why not use them?

• Advertisement

That's a clear ****up but floods can cut off parts of farmers land without any motorway.

Ah yes, the Boards.ie standard response. Deflect deflect deflect!!

Ah yes, the Boards.ie standard response. Deflect deflect deflect!!

Seriously, the underpass was provided, they just made an unmitigated bollix of it. The farmer already had flooding problems, they made it worse. You made an argument about farms being bisected as if nothing was ever done to remedy that but the reality is access roads, underpasses and overpasses are provided. All you've shown is that they've ****ed up the design of one of them.

Its a strawman argument and has nothing to do with the fact that a slow moving vehicle on an otherwise free flowing motorway creates significant disruption to the flow of traffic.

Seriously, the underpass was provided, they just made an unmitigated bollix of it. The farmer already had flooding problems, they made it worse. You made an argument about farms being bisected as if nothing was ever done to remedy that but the reality is access roads, underpasses and overpasses are provided. All you've shown is that they've ****ed up the design of one of them.

Its a strawman argument and has nothing to do with the fact that a slow moving vehicle on an otherwise free flowing motorway creates significant disruption to the flow of traffic.

I would have said that the mongo's doing 80 kph in the overtaking lane were more of a danger myself.

So what is the magic minimum speed you would like on our motorway network?

And another point. Motorways were built to bypass bottleneck towns and villages. It used to take us 4.5 hours to get to Wexford in the 80's, now it takes 50 minutes so I know what I'm talking about. Now you want tractors going through these towns to create bottlenecks. It is possible to overtake these vehicles on motorway, but near impossible on a main road through a village.

hi5 wrote: »
    The old roads are still there for tractors, why not use them?

Because it's a lot easier and faster to use the motorway same as it is to use it in the car. Get on the motorway and just sit back and cruise along at top speed around 50 to 55kmh in most modern tractors compared to driving on narrow bendy old roads, having to pull in to allow cars overtake, having to drive slower than the tractor can achieve etc.

I regularly come across tractors on the motorway and it's not even the slightest inconvienence, they can be seen way off on the distance and are quite easy to just overtake. I also drive tractors and wouldn't think twice about using a motorway if it was convienent for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

We met someone like you yesterday while trying to manouver two large pieces of machinery into a site...lets just say it didn't turn out well..
    Different people have different tools of their trade, farmers, construction etc just happen to have to use large sometimes slow machinery and don't deliberately set out to cause problems but they just can't disappear into thin air when moving job to job, so a little patience and COURTESY can go a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Because it's a lot easier and faster to use the motorway same as it is to use it in the car. Get on the motorway and just sit back and cruise along at top speed around 50 to 55kmh in most modern tractors compared to driving on narrow bendy old roads, having to pull in to allow cars overtake, having to drive slower than the tractor can achieve etc.

I regularly come across tractors on the motorway and it's not even the slightest inconvienence, they can be seen way off on the distance and are quite easy to just overtake. I also drive tractors and wouldn't think twice about using a motorway if it was convienent for me.

Tell that to this mans family...http://www.thejournal.ie/section-of-m9-closed-after-serious-crash-387235-Mar2012/

The motorways for the most part replaced 'N' routes, hardly bendy old roads, certainly not so slow as to hold up a tractor.

Don't tractors with high speed gearing have to pay higher road tax..and do they?

You would never see a tractor on a motorway in the UK, this country is an embarrassment sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

wonski wrote: »

The minimum speed on the motorway is 50kmph, unless road conditions permit less. The motorway sign specifically says "NO SLOW VEHICLES (Under 50km/h)". It does not say vehicles must be capable of a minimum speed. It also excludes vehicles under 50cc. Many 49cc mopeds can achieve the 50km requirement, but the sign is clear...they are not allowed. To drive slower than 50kmph on an otherwise freeflowing Motorway is dangerous imo.

The signs on a motorway aren't the law and according to the Road Traffic Act 1997 there's no restriction on what speed a vehicle needs to be able to do to drive on a motorway. It also looks like HGVs can drive in the right most lane now also:confused:

You could drive with great care at 5kmph....but not on a Motorway when other vehicles are doing 80kmph.

They made a balls of it, but they didn't just intentionally dissect the land with no plans for the farmer access the rest of his land, so it's not relevant.
    I would have said that the mongo's doing 80 kph in the overtaking lane were more of a danger myself.

So what is the magic minimum speed you would like on our motorway network?

50kmph....to reference th big motorway sign before entering a motorway.

m2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'd prefer if they put licence plates and lights on their trailers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Everyone knows that rules don't apply to boggers

goz83 wrote: »
    The minimum speed on the motorway is 50kmph, unless road conditions permit less. The motorway sign specifically says "NO SLOW VEHICLES (Under 50km/h)". It does not say vehicles must be capable of a minimum speed. It also excludes vehicles under 50cc. Many 49cc mopeds can achieve the 50km requirement, but the sign is clear...they are not allowed. To drive slower than 50kmph on an otherwise freeflowing Motorway is dangerous imo.

The sign may say 50kmh and no slow vehicles, but it's only an information sign not a regulatory sign under law. In other words it carries no legal weight.

Legislation which does carry weight does not require a minimum speed, just a capability. A sign can't impose a legal minimum requirement if not backed by legislation.

This is what legislation states:-

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/si/119/made/en/print
    ( d ) whether propelled by an internal combustion engine or by any other means of propulsion is so constructed and in such a condition and so loaded as to capable of maintaining a speed of 50 kilometres per hour on the level, solely under its own power,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Anyone that cant pass a tractor on a Motorway needs to look in the mirror and realise they cant drive for s hit

• Advertisement

One incident and with absolutely no idea of the actual circumstances.
    Don't tractors with high speed gearing have to pay higher road tax..and do they?

They don't and why on earth should they, it's expensive enough for farmers trying to make a living. The tax on our powerful 50kmh capable tractor is the same as on our tiny late 70's yard tractor (if we taxed that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Ginger83

You could have been reported for blowing the horn, maybe the tractor driver did take your reg and reported you. The driver was legally doing nothing wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ginger83 wrote: »
    You could have been reported for blowing the horn, maybe the tractor driver did take your reg and reported you. The driver was legally doing nothing wrong.

Unlikely they'll be able to take tractors reg

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Robeman

Ginger83 wrote: »

I think it is illegal to drive a tractor on the motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I think it depends on the spec of the tractor...if it can do 50k, it's good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Ginger83

vicwatson wrote: »
    Unlikely they'll be able to take tractors reg

Why's that?

Robeman wrote: »
    I think it is illegal to drive a tractor on the motorway.

You think wrong, once its capable of 50kmh its perfectly legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Tractors and Cars pulling trailers are always on the M9 and to be fair today the tractor & slurry spreader were travelling faster than the car towing another car today. It's the lorries overtaking each other annoys me as they tend to slow down while overtaking. Don't understand that part myself.

You think wrong, once its capable of 50kmh its perfectly legal.

It's not as simple as that though, a 50kmh plated tractor for example which is taxed as an agricultural vehicle can't legally do 50kmh and so wouldn't satisfy the capability requirement.

GM228 wrote: »
    It's not as simple as that though, a 50kmh plated tractor for example which is taxed as an agricultural vehicle can't legally do 50kmh and so wouldn't satisfy the capability requirement.

A 50kmh capable agri taxed tractor can of course legally do 50kmh. The amount of badly informed posts in here is shocking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement