Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boring pre-Christmas tasks support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I have kicked into organisation mode!! God help everyone else here lol :) I went off to homestore and more yesterday. Bought a double leather effect ottoman for toy storage in sitting room. Bought a calender to organise the months events and Im off to ikea to pick up a few more bits to set up my family organisation station ! ( a wall in the kitchen with calender , paper work etc )

• Registered Users Posts: 20 yulenka4

Just finished the christmas cakes , so happy to have that one out of the way, enjoyable but time consuming .

Omg is it time to start making christmas cakes /puddings already. Every year I threaten to do it and I never do ... might try Next week while boys in school :p love the smell in the house while the are being made :)

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Omg is it time to start making christmas cakes /puddings already. Every year I threaten to do it and I never do ... might try Next week while boys in school :p love the smell in the house while the are being made :)

Lol christmas pudding is a nightmare for me, takes so long to cook and never quiet looks right.

yulenka4 wrote: »
    Lol christmas pudding is a nightmare for me, takes so long to cook and never quiet looks right.

I'm too afraid to Try make it :p my FIL was a fantastic baker and before he passed away 2 years ago he left me all his cook books and recipes :) Mr glitz keeps making unnerving comments like oh don't get this wrong now or ill have to find someone who can bake and walks off laughing ! :D talk about trying to make me nervous on purpose lol ! I really may try this year though ... :o

• Advertisement

I'm too afraid to Try make it :p my FIL was a fantastic baker and before he passed away 2 years ago he left me all his cook books and recipes :) Mr glitz keeps making unnerving comments like oh don't get this wrong now or ill have to find someone who can bake and walks off laughing ! :D talk about trying to make me nervous on purpose lol ! I really may try this year though ... :o

Lol let us know how u get on! Any tips will be appreciated:-)

yulenka4 wrote: »
    Lol let us know how u get on! Any tips will be appreciated:-)

Hahaha if you hear sirens and see smoke you can pretty much guarantee that's me attempting the Christmas bake :pac: ah here I was planning on asking some of the elves here for tips !!! :D will you be making one too ??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i need to get a mantlepiece so we can hang the stockings. was determined to have it done for last christmas !!!

John Mason wrote: »
    i need to get a mantlepiece so we can hang the stockings. was determined to have it done for last christmas !!!

If you get stuck im nearly sure I seen somewhere you can buy faux mantle piece made out of cardboard :pac: can put it up in no time !

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Last week I cleaned out and cleaned the gutters and when I was doing I said to myself last time I was doing this properly I was getting ready to put up the icicles last December and I said to myself I'll be doing it again in December!
    I had planned to paint to front of the house but due to the rain that didn't work out due to the rain. I had done most of the preparation for it so I'll hopefully get it down this week.
    I had some seeds to sow and I think it's gone to late this year but I might chance them anyway. When our Summer tubs are finished with we'll plant a few bulbs for the spring and maybe a few Winter bedding plants.
    Inside I've done a few little things such as clean underneath everything and cleaning out the presses! My aim is to start in the spare room and try and dump as much as possible but organise what needs to be kept in a better fashion and hopefully make a bit of room.
    Then I'll move on to my room and I'll have to give to a tidy out and re organise the furniture before painting it and changing the curtains/lampshade.
    Then I plan on moving to our living room/kitchen. It will probably need a good tidy(again) and clean. Then we'll paint the walls/celling.
    I'm questioning myself about the hall. It was painted as Easter but it's after getting stained so I might give it a spruce up.
    This will hopefully bring me into the time I need to clean the gutters outside to put up the icicles!(I get a little bit excited about cleaning gutters). They'll be a lot of nice Christmas things done during this time as well but if I'm being honest I don't mind painting/tidying!

• Advertisement

Hahaha if you hear sirens and see smoke you can pretty much guarantee that's me attempting the Christmas bake :pac: ah here I was planning on asking some of the elves here for tips !!! :D will you be making one too ??

Lol I hope to, I hate waiting so many hours for it to cook, then it basically runs out of the bowl. Previous attempt was a nightmare , even after following the method .
    Still can't figure out what I do enjoy wrong.

Omg freshpopcorn your gonna be busy !! I want to pick up some of those lights for my own house here ( the ones that look like hanging ice drops !) Seen them last year and raging I didn't get some then !

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

If you get stuck im nearly sure I seen somewhere you can buy faux mantle piece made out of cardboard :pac: can put it up in no time !

really , where ??? this is could be the answer to lazy prayers:pac:

John Mason wrote: »
    really , where ??? this is could be the answer to lazy prayers:pac:

Sorry John I couldn't attach the link bur if you go onto amazon and type in fake fireplaces a load will pop up ! :pac:

Today i started the god awful job of sorting through all the Christmas presents and gifts and having them packed up to go in the attic. With the sales on over rhe last 2 weeks I just dumped everything I bought in my office. I work from home so I had to get it cleared out this week ! Thankfully all done just waiting for Mr glitz to come and put it up in the attic later on :pac:

Bathrooms have all been steam cleaned ! Thank you aldi hand held steam cleaner :D limescale here is soooo bad so it's nice to have the bathroom tap all shiny again !

Halloween decorations are being brougt down today too so I can sort through them and have my battle plan ready before October 1st !

Giving the wardrobe a good clear out tomorrow ( or some stage this week :p ) I've been putting it off for weeks !! Hope everyone is ticking along with their chores and tasks! Hang in their elves !! Think of how well your home will look once your Done ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Today i started the god awful job of sorting through all the Christmas presents and gifts and having them packed up to go in the attic. With the sales on over rhe last 2 weeks I just dumped everything I bought in my office. I work from home so I had to get it cleared out this week ! Thankfully all done just waiting for Mr glitz to come and put it up in the attic later on :pac:

I did that on Sunday night after S was asleep but I love that job. I'd stashed a lot of presents on the top shelf of my sliderobe and then started shoving it in under hanging dresses and some of it in random drawers and presents were taking up about half of my husband's shelf space. So I cleared the wardrobe and brought it all up into the attic. Then I hung out up there for a while lovingly admiring the pile and looking forward to giving it. (While also hoping it doesn't weigh too much for my attic and come crashing down through the ceiling of the bedroom it's over.:pac:) Then I spent the rest of the night and all of yesterday morning super excited about Christmas, though it was a bit deflating when I realised no-one around me was as excited.

And typing that out I realise I didn't find a Kidizoom camera I stashed somewhere in the wardrobe. I better go find it.:(

iguana wrote: »
    Then I hung out up there for a while lovingly admiring the pile and looking forward to giving it. (While also hoping it doesn't weigh too much for my attic and come crashing down through the ceiling of the bedroom it's over.:pac:) Then I spent the rest of the night and all of yesterday morning super excited about Christmas, though it was a bit deflating when I realised no-one around me was as excited.(

Omg laughed too hard at that about the attic haha :pac: I know exactly how you feel im waitin to hear a crash from mine any day now as my ceiling caves with the pressure of storage haha :p

Ah you can always come on here iguana were always excited about it here !! :pac: hopefully you will find the camera hidden in your husbands drawer somewhere :pac:

I normally don't mind it. However I had just done so much shopping in one week and was exhausted I just dumped everythin in my office. And of course as soon as it came time to work it was like trying to solve a rubex cube before I even got in the door !! I'm glad now it's all done :)

Ah you can always come on here iguana were always excited about it here !! :pac: hopefully you will find the camera hidden in your husbands drawer somewhere :pac:

Found it. It was tucked in between boxes of Halloween and Christmas lights. It's lucky I found it or S could have been with me when I took the Halloween lights down next month and gotten an unexpected surprise. It's actually for his birthday rather than Christmas because I want him to have it for Christmas time so he can take photos of all the cool Christmas things we do. I love the idea of him taking photos of all the Christmas things he loves best!

Though he'll probably just use it to burst into the bathroom and take pictures of me on the toilet. (Like he did a few weeks ago with my husband's iPhone.):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just to mention that a steam cleaner defrosts the freezer in minutes. Well twenty minutes lol.

Just never know what to do with all the WATER residue, as the freezer is half and half and of course the freezer part is flush with the floor tiles.

Mopping and mopping the water out the back door is a pain.

Anyway, a clean clear freezer with LOTS of room is absolutely essential coming up to Christmas.

Wish me luck. But I won't be attempting this sodding job till October Bank Holiday weekend, when I can curse and swear all I want while doing it.

Oh and the boxroom is a total mess. On the list.

What the fekk is deap cleaning? Ha ha.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    I love the idea of him taking photos of all the Christmas things he loves best!

Though he'll probably just use it to burst into the bathroom and take pictures of me on the toilet. (Like he did a few weeks ago with my husband's iPhone.):rolleyes:

glad you found it ! But had to laugh about the toilet part :pac: my eldest guy got one this year for his communion he has wanted one for ages so bought it for himself in smyths. Well I keep waking up like too early to even look at the clock early to find him snapping pics of me while I sleep ! :p it's a bit creepy but he takes pictures of literary everythin so I've adjusted ! Fantastic toy and so robust im sure your little guy will be delighted with it for his birthday :)

Can't believe that it's been over a month since I posted here! Well I've actually managed to clean up most of the crap in my 'room of shame' and I have hopes that I might actually finish painting it and arranging the furniture by Wednesday! Then it will officially be S's bedroom! (Though I'll be shocked if he sleeps in there.) I've painted the porch and will hopefully make a start on the hall and maybe even the playroom tomorrow. If I can get those rooms finished by next Wednesday that gives me a week to paint the sittingroom and freshen up the kitchen by S's birthday. Then all I have to do for the rest of November will be our bedroom and the house will be Christmas ready! Woooo!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We have a few days off for midterm coming up and we've committed one of our days off for the house clean. Sprucing it up for Christmas!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I started to de-clutter the house before I got a job but since then the house has turned into an absolute pigsty. I never realised how good I was at keeping the house clean when I was at home. I always thought I was super lazy. :D

You can come over and clean my house during midterm if you want, Loughc. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

One freezer down, another to go next week provided we stick to the plan of "eat the contents of the freezer" :P Need to organise our window cleaner for sometime in November. And an oven cleaner. My oven isn't too bad & I'd normally do it myself but am pregnant & a bit afraid of the chemicals! Plus I hate doing it so happy to divvy it out to someone else!

PS love this thread, it's bringing out my inner Monica! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

The oven is the worst, palm it off at all costs. Between banging your head in the oven and all the wonderful gunck. To accidentally tearing off the rubber tubing around the edges so it never closes properly again...

Must do the freezer, its a big enough freezer but with all the frost I can just about fit a pack of potatoe waffles in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Lads, you know the way most people have some kind of a closet or cubby-hole in their house where they keep all their junk? Well we have an entire basement that fills that requirement. I am full sure that if we had bought a house without a basement, we wouldn't have collected so much crap. There are 3 rooms down there and they only have narrow walkspace in each because they are chok-a-blok. I know no one is gonna be in our basement at Christmas, but would just love to get it all cleared out, for my own peace of mind. Have made numerous attempts at it over the past few months but always seem to lose the motivation. On the kitchen/sitting room level things are not that bad, apart from untidyness from having two small kids - but the kitchen is old and we were hoping to get a new one before Christmas, and new flooring and that doesnt look very possible now. Like some other posters, I would love to give the ground floor of the house a deep clean - would nearly pay someone to do it, LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I need to give the oven a good clean before Christmas, and absolutely dreading it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

BDJW wrote: »
    I need to give the oven a good clean before Christmas, and absolutely dreading it!

Yep I'm dreading mine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Pay someone to do it. We did that and it was amazing. You only have to do it once because once it's clean you'll never let it get really filthy again.

Advertisement