Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boring pre-Christmas tasks support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Shoe Lover wrote: »

PS love this thread, it's bringing out my inner Monica! :D

I have no Monica, inner or outer. This thread makes me ill :pac:

I am Monica's Secret Cupboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ye can pay me!! haha love it....

I normally start getting ready after halloween with stuff. The two are never mixed (pet hate) this year is going to be odd though, we have just moved Counties, half of our belongings in one County and the rest in another. Not sure will we even have our own place for Christmas but sure well do something..

I used to love after Halloween, deep clean everything and get rid of all the crap you havent used.. i find the best thing to do is just clear stuff away into boxes and put them out of sight. Not everything but everyday stuff and ornaments that you wont be looking at over the christmas and then christmas-ise everything.. Pack them away into the Christmas decoration boxes and then it isnt too hard to find after

Love it love it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think I'm broken. S's room is almost done (it's great to be able to call it that now instead of the room of shame). But oh, it's such a pain to decorate a house when you live in it. It's like a big sucky version of a sliding tile puzzle. You have to move one thing to do something else, then you move that back but you have to do that corner before you can move those things, etc, etc. It will all be worth it but I'm wrecked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Feel your pain iguana, we (I) had to paint the bedroom and sitting room when I moved in. Nightmare.

I need to attack the shed but I will only do this when I am getting the decorations out. It will take about 8 hours, 2 hours putting up the decs, the proceeding 6 hours* marveling at the stuff I forgot we had in the shed.

*One of those hours checking for big spiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Well done to ye for doing it!! Sure twill seem all the nicer when it is done..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Spent the day decluttering my mothers down stairs, filled a couple of black sacks tackled the DVDs arranged them nicely very easy for us to pick and choose from while we go to her over the Christmas, I also plan on adding to them too she loves home alone thinking of buying the box set for her,

Thursday I plan to tackle the rest of her presses and run some errands, her freezer will be on the list for next week

I was thinking her oven plus mine needs to be done badly I can't do either it effects my breathing, off course after hearing Toto say pay someone to do it I don't need much persuading :D

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Venturing into this thread makes me want to go and deep clean the house (it's high time). In the evenings I'm always making plans for the things I'll tackle tomorrow (and tomorrow never comes).
    Anyway, in the next few weeks we'll have new windows installed. That's the moment to do a good clean up and finally slap a fresh coat of paint on the sitting room walls and ceiling. Oh yeah, and on the internal doors and skirting boards.
    I sorted the freezers (all 3 of them) out a couple of months ago. Super duper organised. :cool:
    For the people who want a clean oven but don't want pay someone else to do it : baking soda and white vinegar is all you need (and just a little elbow grease). Make a paste from said ingredients, spread it out over the dirty manky spots. Leave it for 30 minutes. With a scouring sponge rub rub rub, take off the residue with kitchen paper and rinse with a cloth dampened with warm water.
    So easy and no nasty chemicals.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

For the people who want a clean oven but don't want pay someone else to do it : baking soda and white vinegar is all you need (and just a little elbow grease). Make a paste from said ingredients, spread it out over the dirty manky spots. Leave it for 30 minutes. With a scouring sponge rub rub rub, take off the residue with kitchen paper and rinse with a cloth dampened with warm water.
    So easy and no nasty chemicals.:)

This sounds easy & I do use that mix on my hob but I'm also very lazy & it's the taking apart the oven door (and trying to get it back together) that I hate . So I'm going down the "pay someone" road :o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Just checking back in ! I'm still painting this one miserable room :pac: taking forever at this stage !!
    For those asking about cleaning the oven there is a cleaning kit you can get in dealz it is amazing. I1.50 for the kit and u just leave the trays in a bag overnight I left them for 24 hrs abd another for the bottom of the oven and wipe off in the morning oven was spotless and no scrubbing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Just checking back in ! I'm still painting this one miserable room :pac: taking forever at this stage !!
    For those asking about cleaning the oven there is a cleaning kit you can get in dealz it is amazing. I1.50 for the kit and u just leave the trays in a bag overnight I left them for 24 hrs abd another for the bottom of the oven and wipe off in the morning oven was spotless and no scrubbing

Oh I have one of them!! I need to use it now haha. How do you bottom of the oven?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Glitzgirl wrote: »

Is that the Oven Pride stuff? I used that a few years ago in my old apartment and had a nasty headache within half an hour from the very strong chemicals :(

Loughc wrote: »
    Oh I have one of them!! I need to use it now haha. How do you bottom of the oven?

I buy two one full kit goes in the bag woth all the trays make sure to slosh around and another kit I make up like it's going in the bag and I pour all over the bottom of the oven leave overnight and wipe away the next day works a treat :)

BDJW wrote: »
    Is that the Oven Pride stuff? I used that a few years ago in my old apartment and had a nasty headache within half an hour from the very strong chemicals :(

It's similar think it's called mighty oven pride there is a strong smell so I use a face mask and make sure windows are open

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    This sounds easy & I do use that mix on my hob but I'm also very lazy & it's the taking apart the oven door (and trying to get it back together) that I hate . So I'm going down the "pay someone" road :o;)

:eek: I never knew you should or could even do that !

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

OMG, I can't believe I have only just stumbled upon this thread now!!!

It's giving me such a motivational vibes I've almost jumped out of bed to fiiinally get started on my cleaning tasks today but then again I didn't.
    Lol, I'm just wrecked after being super busy working late every day for the past week.

I really have to get started soon though and admittedly, I've been procrastinating for a long time now.
    I've decided to redecorate my bedroom which gave me a good reason to deep clean it only I have stopped midway through and gave up on it as the task just seemed so daunting.
    That was 1 week ago.
    My bedroom is a mess and I really need to finish what I have started!

After that is done, I can move on to the kitchen/living room.
    I need to keep thinking about how when it's all done, I'll be able to start decorating for Christmas and that surely gets me excited, yay!

So really, thank you, elves, for making me see the bright side and for finally getting me started on my housework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

:eek: I never knew you should or could even do that !

Yep, you can take most of them apart I think - so you can take out the glass and wash it. It's a pain though & I'm always terrified that I'm going to drop the glass taking it out or else drop the door while trying to get it back on the hinge!

Thanks for the tip with white vinegar and baking soda I will give it a bash, il get my other half to use the oven pride stuff on the shelves I'm not able for that stuff takes my breath away

This thread is great its great for giving you a boost to get things done

Still have my cleaning mojo, got my mams Freezer done this evening, I had planned to do it tomorrow so I am ahead of schedule lol! Some small errands to do tomorrow and the weekly shop some Christmas goodies might make their way into the trolley

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

OMG, I can't believe I have only just stumbled upon this thread now!!!

It's giving me such a motivational vibes I've almost jumped out of bed to fiiinally get started on my cleaning tasks today but then again I didn't.
    Lol, I'm just wrecked after being super busy working late every day for the past week.

I really have to get started soon though and admittedly, I've been procrastinating for a long time now.
    I've decided to redecorate my bedroom which gave me a good reason to deep clean it only I have stopped midway through and gave up on it as the task just seemed so daunting.
    That was 1 week ago.
    My bedroom is a mess and I really need to finish what I have started!

After that is done, I can move on to the kitchen/living room.
    I need to keep thinking about how when it's all done, I'll be able to start decorating for Christmas and that surely gets me excited, yay!

So really, thank you, elves, for making me see the bright side and for finally getting me started on my housework.

I read this earlier and it really motivated me to get cracking with the cleaning today! But then I remembered that Bake Off was on tonight and I wasn't home until after 7 so it was put off. Tomorrow maybe!

I read this earlier and it really motivated me to get cracking with the cleaning today! But then I remembered that Bake Off was on tonight and I wasn't home until after 7 so it was put off. Tomorrow maybe!

Oh yea, The Bake Off final was on, who won?

Hah, no worries, Toto, I'm planning on starting today. Or tomorrow.
    Today or tomorrow I'll definitely start.
    I'm putting my foot down here! 😊

I just have to start, then it's gonna get easier...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm starting Monday! Eeekk.

Can't believe Tuesday is the 1st of November !! :eek: can't wait to take down the halloween decorations and get started on the big christmas clean ! The binder will be coming out ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Oh yea, The Bake Off final was on, who won?

Hah, no worries, Toto, I'm planning on starting today. Or tomorrow.
    Today or tomorrow I'll definitely start.
    I'm putting my foot down here! 😊

I just have to start, then it's gonna get easier...
    Candice!
    Don't know if I still need to spoiler that! I wanted Selasi to win.

I didn't start today, but I did put away the clothes from the clothes horse. Well, I took them off the clothes horse and put them on the stairs but sure you have to start somewhere, right?

Don't know if I still need to spoiler that! I wanted Selasi to win.

I didn't start today, but I did put away the clothes from the clothes horse. Well, I took them off the clothes horse and put them on the stairs but sure you have to start somewhere, right?

Haha, absolutely!
    And well done for even doing that.

I had big plans to finally start today but have put that off yet again due to knowing I had to go to work later today so it was almost like no point in starting.
    Or so the liar in me whispered. And I gladly took him up on that offer, lol.

Yea, I heard Candice has won.
    Seems she was quite a favourite, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Started the painting today, hall and stairs done, landing and the main living area tomorrow, I hope. I have lost all festive spirit, I managed to fall off the ladder while painting, not hurt too badly. And then I discovered that my favourite bracelet has broken so have to head back to jewellers with that, bah humbug :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I hope you're feeling okay after your fall.
    bah humbug :(
    How DARE you use those words in this house! :mad:

:pac:

Posy wrote: »
    I hope you're feeling okay after your fall.

How DARE you use those words in this house! :mad:

:pac:

I know, I take it back!!! Please let me stay

Started the painting today, hall and stairs done, landing and the main living area tomorrow, I hope. I have lost all festive spirit, I managed to fall off the ladder while painting, not hurt too badly. And then I discovered that my favourite bracelet has broken so have to head back to jewellers with that, bah humbug :(

I hope your ok, good going on the painting

Sore hip and pride, but sure at least the new paint will look awesome against all the new decorations I'm going to get!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

You'll be laughing bout it at the dinner table on the day... Hopefully. Jewellery can be fixed more easy than bones

Advertisement