Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boring pre-Christmas tasks support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

For all your pre-Christmas cleaning :D

CwNakaeXEAIehNc.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That's amazing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Zaph wrote: »

How much was that??? :o I need 20 bottles.

Edups wrote: »
    How much was that??? :o I need 20 bottles.

No idea, I saw it on a friend's Facebook page, and he just nabbed it from someone else's tweet. However Tesco bleach is usually a euro or less, so your 20 bottles shouldn't set you back too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

No idea, I saw it on a friend's Facebook page, and he just nabbed it from someone else's tweet. However Tesco bleach is usually a euro or less, so your 20 bottles shouldn't set you back too much.

Doesn't seem to show up on tescos website... hopefully my local store has it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

It's like my two favourite things combined - bleach and Christmas! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Zaph wrote:
    For all your pre-Christmas cleaning

OMG, that post is life!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

So this is super odd. I painted my livingroom and upcycled a lot of the smaller furniture in the room as it was a real mish-mash of stuff. And I've accidentally created a 70s style livingroom. It's really weird. It wasn't my intention but when I put everything back in it's place, I stood back looked at it and it's like a page from a 1970s magazine (with some added 21st century consumer electronics). I'm just waiting on some cushion covers I ordered early this week to arrive and totally weirdly they are retro comic print material and the images are mainly from the 70s.

Now I need to find some sort of 1970s Christmas decorations to really run with the theme. I did buy some lantern fairy lights last year so that's a start and I'm a tinsel fan, so that works. Earlier this year I found my great-grandparents' old foil baubles in my parents' attic so I'm going to have to make a strong case to my mum that she should give them to me. Any other 70s style Christmas must haves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Iguana your make over sounds amazing ! you'll definitly have to post some pics ! :)

I'm aiming to get the painting finished this weekend. I'm juggling a load of little odd jobs so need to get my head down and focus! That's the worst about working from home I'm always getting pulled from job to job . Hope every one else is having more luck

Happy to report I've most of my living room done.

Haven't stopped all day today and was all around the place cleaning and polishing everything in sight but so glad I've finally got started and it's only gonna get easier now.

Also well done to everyone else doing their tasks this week. You're all doing great.
    Happy Saturday evening, elves!

• Advertisement

I've done soooooo much this week. My livingroom is done, the hall is done, S's playroom is done. And best of all the room of shame is now a truly, truly awesome bedroom. S may never sleep in there but at night when he's in my bed, spread out like a giant starfish, I can now go into his bedroom and admire my handiwork. It's like a kid's fantasy room, I love it.

Still plenty left to do, mainly in the kitchen at this stage. And my bathroom has been completely neglected for the last fortnight apart from being designated paintbrush washing spot, so it needs a really good clean. For now I'm freshly showered and tucked up in my bed in Christmassy fleecey pjs, and full of the spicebag I just scoffed while watching Supergirl. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

iguana wrote: »
    I've done soooooo much this week. My livingroom is done, the hall is done, S's playroom is done. And best of all the room of shame is now a truly, truly awesome bedroom. S may never sleep in there but at night when he's in my bed, spread out like a giant starfish, I can now go into his bedroom and admire my handiwork. It's like a kid's fantasy room, I love it.

Still plenty left to do, mainly in the kitchen at this stage. And my bathroom has been completely neglected for the last fortnight apart from being designated paintbrush washing spot, so it needs a really good clean. For now I'm freshly showered and tucked up in my bed in Christmassy fleecey pjs, and full of the spicebag I just scoffed while watching Supergirl. :)

Fancy coming to mine next week to help? Still have the living/dining/kitchen to paint and every time I finish an area I see other things that I need to do!

Fancy coming to mine next week to help? Still have the living/dining/kitchen to paint and every time I finish an area I see other things that I need to do!

Thanks for the offer but I'll be in full on birthday party prep mode, apart from Thursday which is S's actual birthday and we'll be in crazy celebration mode! I have to build a Teen Titans Tower birthday cake topper, so that will be interesting.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Finally I'm happy to say the painting is done. Now im off to the various stores and ikea with my premade up list for new furniture / curtains / christmas bedding being ordered !

Mr glitz was kind enough to take the Christmas stuff out of the attic when putting the halloween ones back so my hall is a mess ! On the up side have started decorating the kitchen already for Christmas :)

It's the most wonderful toilet of the year :D

CwmRPk6XAAA58ad.jpg

I've decided that all of my kitchen presses need to be cleaned out and reorganised before Christmas. My back is in bits so I will be supervising Mr. SL when he gets home this week. Bet he can't wait :P

Shoe Lover wrote:
    I've decided that all of my kitchen presses need to be cleaned out and reorganised before Christmas. My back is in bits so I will be supervising Mr. SL when he gets home this week. Bet he can't wait

Oh, good luck!

I have just finished cleaning out and completely reorganizing mine.
    I can't tell you how happy I am that part is done now and just have to finish the rest of the kitchen.

Phew!

Kitchen is painted, hope to get dining and living room done by Tuesday, then may do the extra areas I've noticed . . . . .

Then to deep clean all the rooms, but most got done in preparation for painting. The santa gifts are getting wrapped and put back in attic next weekend, so going to take down decorations then too. It's getting so exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Blimey. I thought by clearing out the shed I was doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Lots of decluttering going on here with me, running errands to get both my house looking good plus my mams all these little errands take up so much time, can't believe how quickly time is going by, it's over a week since I've had my fix of wandering around the shops for Christmas stuff I am having withdrawals

Must crack on with the jobs it will be worth it in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Upstairs doors and skirting washed half way through downtown stairs doors and skirting il probably be stiff tomorrow, teabreak now while browsing the ikea catalogue I need a few purchases from there for the big day

Just had a robin in my garden too I believe it's someone very dear to me that I lost this year

How's everyone else's chores going?

SarahLil wrote:
    Upstairs doors and skirting washed half way through downtown stairs doors and skirting il probably be stiff tomorrow, teabreak now while browsing the ikea catalogue I need a few purchases from there for the big day

SarahLil wrote:
    Just had a robin in my garden too I believe it's someone very dear to me that I lost this year

SarahLil wrote:
    How's everyone else's chores going?

Well done, SarahLil, enjoy your well-deserved teabreak!

As for me - living room is all done. Skirting boards cleaned, sofa hovered, everything else dusted and polished.
    Slowly starting to bring out and hang Christmas decorations.
    I'm also halfway through the kitchen which I didn't expect to be nowhere near when I started 3 days ago!
    Slightly smug with myself. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

This is what our sitting room looks like right now. Still a long way off from cleaning and decorating for christmas. :(
    oqeg50.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

It'll soon come together :) I got my front door steps retiled and getting the front door repainted professionally this week. Have mostly decluttered and defrosting the fridge and freezer today. Cold job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have a black front door and I'd love to get it repainted in white but I don't think that's possible without ruining it!

I have to throughly clean my bedroom today, sort out some drawers which are full of random gifts hiding there, tidy out my wardrobe, check the attic to see how the wrapping paper situation is and do some washing and sewing I've been putting off, plus hoover the whole house.

I'll feel a lot better when this day is over! :pac:

Painting is done, decorations coming out of attic today, deep clean starts on Monday with decorationa going up later next week (if I can sneek them past my hubby)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Posy wrote: »
    I have a black front door and I'd love to get it repainted in white but I don't think that's possible without ruining it!

I have to throughly clean my bedroom today, sort out some drawers which are full of random gifts hiding there, tidy out my wardrobe, check the attic to see how the wrapping paper situation is and do some washing and sewing I've been putting off, plus hoover the whole house.

I'll feel a lot better when this day is over! :pac:

Yeah I am going for cream from a natural wood door I'I scared it could go wrong but the guy who is doing it is highly recommended. I even drove over to see his front door:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Just finalised a load of stuff today.

Have a date now for our plumber to come in and plumb us in a downstairs loo. Needed as family have disabilities so they wouldn't be able to come over for Christmas without a toilet downstairs. :(

The same week is just gonna be redecorating chaos. New bathroom, new set of shelves at the end of the kitchen (there's a gammy in built one there that came with the house, I f*cking hate it, it's a monstrosity), new understairs door, and the two upstairs rooms (currently dump rooms) cleared and painted white. Ready to turn into spare rooms/ offices, hopefully with at least one spare bed for over the Christmas.

However it's the date we go on holidays. So we've got a guy who will come in and supervise. So when we come back a week later we will have three brand new rooms that we don't have now! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'm going to do a big charity shop run soon, I have lots of unused gift sets which might some in handy for people coming up to Christmas. Some are brand new too, I picked a few up in the 75% off Boots sale for a song but likely won't use them now. Lots of clothes to donate too.

My son is turning two and we'll have his birthday party on the 11th, so I'm taking a few days off to declutter and prep and scrub as best I can before then. It turns out we won't be hosting Christmas dinner after all, so at least on the big day I'll get to put my feet up!

• Advertisement

Update on my cleaning spree:
    - Kitchen presses are cleaned out and reorganized (himself can't find anything any more :p)
    - Oven cleaner is booked for the week before Christmas
    - Window cleaner also booked for December

We've also started trying to finish our sitting room. We currently have the fireplace blocked up but ordered a stove on Sunday. One of my nieces was, quite rightly, very worried about how Santy would get in with the timber in front of the fireplace. :o We also need to get a mantlepiece sorted & then the sitting room is finito!

And I've plans to order a skip in the next few weeks to clear out our dump room & the shed. :D

Advertisement