Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boring pre-Christmas tasks support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Next Monday is our big clean. I have my blinds booked in to be taken away for cleaning, my window cleaner is coming and my decorator is coming to change the wallpaper as a shelf is falling down and then we take it down you will be able to see the holes.

I will then clean the rest of the house while they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    And I've plans to order a skip in the next few weeks to clear out our dump room & the shed. :D

I'm so glad to read that other people have rooms like this. I'm so glad mine has finally been replaced with a lovely child's bedroom but it's also a bit of a lifestyle adjustment. No longer can I shove a pile of clean laundry into the room of shame, close the door and pretend I have a tidy house. Now I actually have to put it away properly or leave it somewhere that I can see it all the time!:eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We only moved a few weeks ago; the sitting room is finally livable and tidy and cosy looking. All ready for the tree and decs in a couple of weeks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

iguana wrote: »
    I'm so glad to read that other people have rooms like this.

Ours is really a dump room! We've just built our house (finished last year) & when we finished, Mr. Shoe Lover put all the left over tiles, boxes, bits of skirting & all other sorts of rubbish that comes with building a house into the dump room & we closed the door. And periodically over the last year, he's added more to it & I've tried to throw some of it out & basically it's still stuffed so a skip is required! We have a baby on the way after Christmas so I want that room finished before the new arrival!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Our whole house is a dump room at the moment. :cool:

We were supposed to have family staying with us this week so we did some major cleaning but now they're not staying so we're not likely to finish the job!

Apparently today is clear out your fridge day. Get to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I'm almost finished the deep clean but feel so tired not sure I can face the last of the kitchen. It's almost almost there.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

I'm almost finished the deep clean but feel so tired not sure I can face the last of the kitchen. It's almost almost there.

This was me yesterday.

I was deep cleaning the kitchen all day and had to just finish off the oven and stuff and was getting so tired I thought I couldn't do it but then I really wanted to get it over with.
    And now I'm so happy I did and all I'm thinking is "Bring on the decorations".

Honestly, if I could do it, you can do it, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Brilliant work all of you I'm shook with panic now as I am way behind I have a bacterial infection so feeling really meh:(
    Decided to rest up the deep clean is on pause

Picked up toilet roll instead of kitchen roll so no cleaning! Cut the grass and cleaned the outside instead

Tomorrow I'll finish the kitchen

Picked up toilet roll instead of kitchen roll so no cleaning! Cut the grass and cleaned the outside instead

Tomorrow I'll finish the kitchen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Our usual "if you can't see it from 15ft" rule for dust isn't working on the windows, so cleaner booked for Saturday

SarahLil wrote: »
    Brilliant work all of you I'm shook with panic now as I am way behind I have a bacterial infection so feeling really meh:(
    Decided to rest up the deep clean is on pause

The only cure is sitting on the couch watching Christmas films. Hope you feel better soon.

The only cure is sitting on the couch watching Christmas films. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Toto a big freeze is meant to be on the way by the end of the week so hopefully I'm better by then and get stuck into the cleaning while it's far too cold to venture out,if it's bitterly cold the weekend there may be no golf for himself so I'm sure I can find some jobs for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I'm in a lull with my progress at the minute. I kinda go through this phase every now and then where I see other peoples home with all their nice breakable glass photo frames and generally delicate home furnishings even with small kiddies running around. Then I come home and look at my empty easy to reach place for little hands like window sills and coffee tables which are butt a $$ naked and free from such mentioned home decore and I think to myself " I live with ferral animals pretending to be children and a large man child who is as clumsy as a bull in a china shop" and i sigh and admit defeat and just oooh and Ahhh at them over catalogues :p so i see no point in cleaning as it will never look the way i really want it to. :pac: I'm sulking on the couch while Mr glitz tells me it's ok someday I can have nice things .. When the kids reach 18 :/

I started painting my bedroom today and the wall seems to be rejecting the paint. On closer inspection parts of the wall are really shiny like some idiot painted the wall with glossy door paint or varnish at some point in the past. So getting a regular wall paint on is really hard work. I've one wall done now and close to half a tin of paint is gone but thankfully the opposite wall is nearly all window and radiator and one of the other walls is a sliderobe so I should manage with this tin of paint. It will be tight though, as I'll definitely need to give it a second coat as it's really patchy in places. Especially where I did all the cutting in as it's almost impossible to use a brush for some reason.

We have a similar problem. The paint doesn't stay on when it dries. I'd suggest holding off on the second coat but it took while for our paint to start peeling so you'd be waiting awhile to see if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Made a start on my 'pre Christmas cleaning' this evening! :D Started cleaning out cupboards in kitchen and of course plenty reorganising stuff!
    I found two jars of mincemeat that is still good and some mulled wine sachets yay!! Most of cupboards are done now just 3 drawers and wee cupboard under sink to do now!

Might ask himself to clean the gutters on his day off on Thursday as I WANT to get those outdoor lights in Aldi on Thursday!! ;)

Did yas see this?? I WANT it even though I don't use bleach ha!
    https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14993395_10157891601720389_4329178094664527531_n.jpg?oh=f16e7316dbf55806f29181d7f69ea573&oe=58C6C34B

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Last week I did a big clothes clear out. I now still have full looking wardrobes and paradoxically still have nothing to wear.

I tend to reorganise our fridge and food cupboards every week on shopping day so over the last while have been making meals to specifically use up what's sitting around. Need to find a use for 1.7 million tins of kidney beans. Then I get to restock with Christmassy things!

I started on the rest of my kitchen today and steam cleaned the floor and wall tiles. I cleaned the oven - the shelves are on a really hot wash in the dishwasher as we speak. Hopefully that'll do most of the work!

In the kitchen I still have to organise all of the dish presses and the two cutlery drawers. Then the sitting room......ugh. I have to steam clean the couches and go through the toy corner and do a bit of a clear out and tidy up. While on that I'll do a clear out of the upstairs toys too. The attic will be busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

iguana wrote: »
    I started painting my bedroom today and the wall seems to be rejecting the paint. On closer inspection parts of the wall are really shiny like some idiot painted the wall with glossy door paint or varnish at some point in the past. So getting a regular wall paint on is really hard work. I've one wall done now and close to half a tin of paint is gone but thankfully the opposite wall is nearly all window and radiator and one of the other walls is a sliderobe so I should manage with this tin of paint. It will be tight though, as I'll definitely need to give it a second coat as it's really patchy in places. Especially where I did all the cutting in as it's almost impossible to use a brush for some reason.

Ouch ! It could be satin sheen, which is water-based but because of the sheen might be difficult to hold the matt paint.
    Ideally it should first be sanded somewhat or some kind of primer painted over it.
    I hope it works out for you in any case.

I have also started painting the sitting room today, albeit more prepping than painting per sé. And while I was cutting in I decided to ask an acquaintance of ours to come and do the ceiling.
    I just can't do ceilings anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

I'm the same, started a big wardrobe clearout today and also the bedroom.
    Took me much longer than expected but at least I finally got started.

As I found piles and piles of clothes that need to be washed, will be doing laundry for the rest of the evening.
    Lucky me, lol.

• Advertisement

Major setback in my preparations today :( Firstly, the stove people rang me to tell me that the stove we ordered in black enamel doesn't actually come in enamel and the nearest one to it that does come in enamel is 200euro dearer! Rage! So will be going up for a refund tomorrow and back to looking again!

And even worse, I've discovered a MASSIVE leak in my utility room - MASSIVE! Ceiling is destroyed :(:(

Ouch ! It could be satin sheen, which is water-based but because of the sheen might be difficult to hold the matt paint.
    Ideally it should first be sanded somewhat or some kind of primer painted over it.
    I hope it works out for you in any case.

That's possibly what it was. It was a total bodge job in any case as there was a huge pink patch of wall where the people who lived here before clearly ran out of paint and just covered the spot with a dresser. Thankfully they hadn't used that paint on the other walls so the paint took ok over other walls and I had just about enough left to touch up the first wall but the whole job was more time and paint consuming than I'd have imagined. I'm glad I didn't wait until next week to do it. I'm sitting here with the windows open waiting for the paint to dry enough for me to put the curtains back up soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh no Shoe Lover!!

At least you've discovered the leak now and not nearer to Christmas.
    I hope you get your stove sorted out too. :)

Posy wrote: »
    Oh no Shoe Lover!!

At least you've discovered the leak now and not nearer to Christmas.
    I hope you get your stove sorted out too. :)

Very true! Mr. Shoe Lover has discovered the source of the leak (our HRV unit) so I've rung the installer & they will get back to me on Monday. In the meantime, we have a bucket under it.

Got a full refund from the stove people so will have a look for another one next weekend!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Since Friday we've been busy bees, we've painted skirting, ceiling, walls and door in the living room, it looks brand new and ready for Christmas...though that wasn't the sole reason for decorating :pac: it's gonna look so cosy with the tree and decs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Today I'll be painting the sitting room walls. At last !
    When the new windows got fitted it turned the whole place into a building site. Underneath the windows in the sun room (part of sitting room) still needs re-plastering, so that'll have to keep until ???
    Can't wait for it to be all over and done with. And my elbow is killing me :(

Ordered our turkey & ham on Saturday! And my Dad made the Christmas Cakes! We do a trade, he makes me a cake, I make him a pudding :D Two more things off the list now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I've had a productive two days - apartment fully cleaned, decorations out of the press ready to put up on Friday and presents wrapped.

My cleaning and decorating has been put on hold because my brother is staying and I had to put all the decorations behind the couch to have floor space for the mattress! On the plus side, it does mean I should shortly have a new niece or nephew :)

• Advertisement

Still a work in progress but think I'm getting there it is overwhelming as I've to do our house and my mothers house she's in very bad health,
    We'll do our first Christmas dinner in her house and stay for a couple of days then back to our house for sometime at home we will have visitors to ours so I'm trying my best with both houses
    I want all the big jobs done before the trees go up, then keep on top of it all, I want all the cleaning done before Christmas Eve as I will be prepping dinner then hope to have that done early and enjoy it all

Advertisement