Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Rugby

Options
  • 28-08-2016 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'll be starting in UCD in a couple of weeks and I'm just wondering what the rugby team is like. I'm very well aware of the prestige and history the sport has with the college so I'm a little apprehensive about joining. I'm notrying completely new, I took up the sport this time last year and played with a Vets team but obviously very different atmospheres and training. I'm in good shape and not awful (could do with learning to kick) but not sure if I'd be on the level for the team. I'm a winger if anyone is concerned.

And while I'm here, anyone know of any part time work on campus in the bar or any of the shops? Would be pretty deadly to get some work while I'm there.

Thanks folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

I'll be starting in UCD in a couple of weeks and I'm just wondering what the rugby team is like. I'm very well aware of the prestige and history the sport has with the college so I'm a little apprehensive about joining. I'm notrying completely new, I took up the sport this time last year and played with a Vets team but obviously very different atmospheres and training. I'm in good shape and not awful (could do with learning to kick) but not sure if I'd be on the level for the team. I'm a winger if anyone is concerned.

And while I'm here, anyone know of any part time work on campus in the bar or any of the shops? Would be pretty deadly to get some work while I'm there.

Thanks folks!

Rugby football and GAA are different from all the other sports clubs in UCD in that they are less amateurish, oversubscribed, and semi-professional (rugby and football at least). They tend to have different classes or groupings based on skill. If you come from a rugby school and have a good few years' experience you will probably make the B group, if you only have a bit of experience perhaps C, etc, if you're planning to play for Leinster or national you'll be on the A. You get the idea.

There is afaik a Tag rugby club as well, which is a totally different kettle of fish, naturally.

There are jobs on campus, in SU shops and the bar, registry and elsewhere. Infinitely easier to obtain if you are postgrad (most of the university bodies don't like hiring undergrad, or if they do, don't pay them anything (the experience is often the reward, except for RA where the accommodation is the reward)). Jobs that pay can be a challenge to obtain. Knowing the right people and being persistent are important qualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 anarchshroom

Rugby football and GAA are different from all the other sports clubs in UCD in that they are less amateurish, oversubscribed, and semi-professional (rugby and football at least). They tend to have different classes or groupings based on skill. If you come from a rugby school and have a good few years' experience you will probably make the B group, if you only have a bit of experience perhaps C, etc, if you're planning to play for Leinster or national you'll be on the A. You get the idea.

There is afaik a Tag rugby club as well, which is a totally different kettle of fish, naturally.

There are jobs on campus, in SU shops and the bar, registry and elsewhere. Infinitely easier to obtain if you are postgrad (most of the university bodies don't like hiring undergrad, or if they do, don't pay them anything (the experience is often the reward, except for RA where the accommodation is the reward)). Jobs that pay can be a challenge to obtain. Knowing the right people and being persistent are important qualities.

Cool. Good to know I'm not going to be turned away because I'm not good enough. I'll be sure to say hi once term starts.

Also good to know on the job front. Would I have any luck collecting glasses in the bar? I've got experience working in restaurants and nightclubs so it'd be an easy transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I guess think about it this way, when Brian O'D retired, one of the people he specifically name-checked about being key in his career is John Mc Clean, the UCD coach [and I think he played all his career as "UCD/Leinster" not Blackrock RFC.

Advertisement