Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB replacement

Options
  • 28-08-2016 2:18pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭

BB on my hybrid died yesterday, and after a massive amount of grunting and groaning I've extracted the BB from the drive site. The cup on the non-drive side simply wont shift, and I'm just wondering can I leave it alone and put the new BB in from the drive side.

395539.JPG

395540.JPG

395541.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Penetrating oil and some time.

Threaded bar to hold tool tight against face of cup.

Big bar and swing of it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Series of whacks of a hammer on the back of the wrench, followed by lots of swearing, and a jury rigged contraption using the remains of the dead BB to hold the BB tool tight from the other side and she's out! Hateful things to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Left hand thread?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Left hand thread?

I checked the thread direction before starting. With the bike upside down, bb loosens with spanner moving towards back wheel, clockwise drive hand side, counter clockwise other side. Only second time I've done it and in future will have a slightly different technique. For me the awkward part was holding the BB tool in place while applying power, so the trick was to use something that screwed into the crank to hold the bb tool firmly in place. Once the whole thing is bolted together so the BB tool can't fall out, you can apply all the leverage you want. Main concern was breaking the frame.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Spray some wd40 on it on the inside. Wait 24 hours and it should come off.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Heat might help, even from a hair drier on the BB shell might be enough to make it expand slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

When trying to apply power to a system like that it's often handy to put the wheels back on so you can put the bike right side up and swing out of it with a big bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Diesel will work beter than WD40 as a penetrating oil, and a kettle of boiling water will work wonders on a seized BB, especially if its aluminium as the diferent rates of expansion will be more pronounced.

New BB arrived yesterday and I fitted it last night, so all good for the old hack / pub bike once again. Kind of funny how you get attached to a bike once you've done a lot of miles on it, even though its nothing special.

Advertisement