Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerial/dish query in Rental

Options
  • 28-08-2016 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi, I am intending to rent out my house soon. My query is that there is a dish and aerial on the roof, however they have not been used in a year and, having tested them last night, it's clear that a realignment for both will be required to get a working signal.

Am I responsible for this, or can I advise prospective tenants that if they want TV signal, then they'll have to pay for a rigger themselves if they want it? I haven't put any mention of cable/TV available in Daft ad.

I have googled this but haven't really got a clear answer so thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

pat ticket wrote: »
    Hi, I am intending to rent out my house soon. My query is that there is a dish and aerial on the roof, however they have not been used in a year and, having tested them last night, it's clear that a realignment for both will be required to get a working signal.

Am I responsible for this, or can I advise prospective tenants that if they want TV signal, then they'll have to pay for a rigger themselves if they want it? I haven't put any mention of cable/TV available in Daft ad.

I have googled this but haven't really got a clear answer so thanks in advance!

This is more a practical matter than a legal one. Realistically, it would be easier for you to resolve it than to leave it for a tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's your roof, would you rather have a say in who goes clambering on it (and possibly falling off) or have a tenant or their mate or whoever is cheapest up there? Even purely from an insurance point of view I'd consider it well worth the expense of having it done pre-letting.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pat ticket

Thanks for the responses guys. I agree with what you're saying, My concern is that if I set the precedent for having the dish/aeriel aligned, when the inevitable winter storms arrive and they are knocked off kilter (as has happened past few winters, my house is in a windswept coastal location) then I'll be held liable by the tenant for paying for them to be realigned.

You can buy a sat finer cheap enough and align it yourself now and again in the future if it goes out of alignment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

As a landlord, I would get my tennants in place and then get the aerial sorted myself. That way I control who is working on the house and I can off set the cost as an expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If both were installed correctly they shouldn't be off line. Are you sure you haven't mixed up the feeds? Is there a mast head amp that might need a supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if the satellite dish is solid, I would advise changing it for one of the perforated types. Aside from that, get a trained installer out to align the dish and antenna and secure it properly. have him possibly mark the position of them on the mounting pole as it would make re-alignment easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

if the satellite dish is solid, I would advise changing it for one of the perforated types.

So it rusts faster?

The holes aren't large enough to reduce the wind loading at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

pat ticket wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses guys. I agree with what you're saying, My concern is that if I set the precedent for having the dish/aeriel aligned, when the inevitable winter storms arrive and they are knocked off kilter (as has happened past few winters, my house is in a windswept coastal location) then I'll be held liable by the tenant for paying for them to be realigned.

If there's no mention of aerial/dish in the ad why would you need to inform someone who was never there that they had to be realigned? Pay to get them done before anyone moves in and say nothing. If they get moved during storms then worry about it then.

Advertisement