Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint or sole mortgage?

Options
  • 28-08-2016 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. Here's the background to my situation. My girlfriend and I have been living together for a good while in rented accommodation. We're having our first baby in December and are looking at getting a mortgage as first time buyers. I earn a decent wage but she's not working. We've just opened a joint bank account to pay bills etc and we're fortunate that we have a pretty chunk of cash for the deposit.

My question is this - when applying for a mortgage, should I apply by myself or apply for a joint mortgage given our circumstances? I've no issue with my girlfriend being on the mortgage but think we might get a better deal (ie, a higher loan to value rate) if I were to go it alone.

Any advice or experiences from others would be great.

Advertisement