Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen baby food and flying.

Options
  • 28-08-2016 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are due to go on holidays next Sunday. I would love to bring some pre-made frozen meals for my 9 month old that I have cooked so that I am not totally relying on Ella's kitchen etc...
    Has anyone done this before with flying and keeping it frozen, from house to destination I reckon it will be a good 7 1/2 hours by the time I get it into a freezer in hotel room.

Would love some advice on what others did.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

For the meal when you arrive I guess you could be ok. Even in a cold bag it would start to defrost though. It's also an extra hassle to carry one more thing while travelling. Personally i wouldn't bother. The Ella's kitchen would be handy for one or two meals. Maybe you could prepare something simple when you're there for the rest of the time? I'm assuming you've cooking facilities if there's a freezer?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I went abroad with a 13 month old. Ellas Kitchen to get me through the first few days until I got the lie of the land. We had a house, so I got to the local supermarket and cooked (as best I could) a small batch of some food that she would eat and froze it for the ten days.
    You can stretch the Ella's Kitchen too you know - at 9 months, you could get them something locally at breakfast they would eat (or maybe bring a box of their cereal and supplement it with available breakfast food). If it's a hot country, get loads of fruit locally, yoghurts etc. Buy local bread. It's really lunches and dinners you're covering and where possible, if you're eating out, try and order stuff for yourself that the baby might have a bit of. Or ask the staff if they have baby food - a bit of pasta or mashed veg or something.
    I'd also be surprised if the hotel room had a freezer.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Can you not just feed the baby bits of what you're eating there or just mash up fruit, yoghurts, etc there? Seems like an awful lot of hassle to have to bring frozen meals. Why do you need to rely on pouches if you don't bring food, are you going somewhere remote where you won't be able to buy food/eat out, does the hotel not have a restaurant/kitchen? We went abroad with our then 12 month old but did lots of travelling here from 6-12 months, had no issues with feeding him mashed up or finger food bits of what we were eating, or just ordering mash/mashed veg or getting yoghurt etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Thanks everyone, great suggestions. It's an apartment/hotel so we have a fridge/freezer and oven hob,microwave, so I can do a bit with that, and item obviously yogurt, fruit. And cereal.

Thanks again.

Advertisement