Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford manufacturer's warranty

• 28-08-2016 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a 2014 ford transit custom from the uk it has manufacturers warranty until march 2017 if anyone could shed some light on what exactly this covers I would be greatfull

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

UK warranty is unlikely to apply, will be at the discretion of Ford Ireland whether it is. 2 years is standard minimum EU warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

UK warranty is unlikely to apply, will be at the discretion of Ford Ireland whether it is. 2 years is standard minimum EU warranty.

I thought I read somewhere that warranty is transferable between owners and eu states which the uk is still currently, the dealer assures me that the vehicle came with a 3 year warranty im just looking to find out what it covers exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depends how the warranty is broken down. The minimum a manufacturer has to offer is 2 years in the EU, the rest is dependent on how the brand breaks it down. Some brands offer 2 year manufacturer's warranty + 2/3 years extended warranty that is supported by the brand distributor/dealer network in the country it was originally sold in. That last part doesn't automatically transfer to a different country.

Better off contacting Ford Ireland or Ford UK for clarification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

There it not and never was a EU warranty. There is a EU directive that requires member states to implement the law to assure the goods "Comply with the description", but if implemented literally it provides effective cover for approximately 7 months.

It is just competition that is bringing longer and longer warranties. Manufacturer warranty /typically/ applies EU wide and is likely to be carried forward. Additional warranties are provided by the importer - and those /typically/ don't transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

I am pretty sure that any Irish dealer will have to honour the warranty as issued in the UK if they are in the Ford's authorised repair network.

Here is an extract from an EU FAQ relating to the relevant EU Regulation.

"Under the Regulation, manufacturers’ warranties issued in one Member State
    must be valid under the same conditions in all other Member States. "

http://ec.europa.eu/competition/sectors/motor_vehicles/legislation/faq_en.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

dubrov wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that any Irish dealer will have to honour the warranty as issued in the UK if they are in the Ford's authorised repair network.

Here is an extract from an EU FAQ relating to the relevant EU Regulation.

"Under the Regulation, manufacturers’ warranties issued in one Member State
    must be valid under the same conditions in all other Member States. "

http://ec.europa.eu/competition/sectors/motor_vehicles/legislation/faq_en.pdf

And that will be the case with the 2 year manufacturer warranty, but the 3rd year on Ford's in the UK is probably from Ford UK so is not transferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Sounds dodgy to me.
    If it was that easy, why not issue the warranty from Ford UK for all 3 years?

The Ford UK website just talks about a Ford 3 year warranty

Advertisement