Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City v West Ham United - Match Thread

• 28-08-2016 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

City swarming West Ham from the off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Game over so.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Nice goal by Sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Silva playing deeper than usual has been a bit of a master stroke so far for City. Fantastic in the goal there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

City definitely look to be just ahead of everyone else atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

On goal difference?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Aguero may be the man but it's Sliva that makes City tick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

glued wrote: »
    City definitely look to be just ahead of everyone else atm.

They've been no more impressive than Chelsea or United so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

What a ball by de Bruyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

City are irrepressible. In the face of Pepball even a fairly decent side like West Ham look utterly inept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

City are irrepressible. In the face of Pepball even a fairly decent side like West Ham look utterly inept.

West Ham have loads of injuries and are missing their best player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

West Ham are decimated by injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Clearly West Ham are going to be sh'ite this season, I blame the new stadium myself and they aren't even there today!

Many empty seats?

Johner wrote: »
    West Ham have loads of injuries and are missing their best player.

Its the quality on the ball of City though that should be the main talking point. Remarkable to think this group are only a few months into Pep's reign.

Its the quality on the ball of City though that should be the main talking point. Remarkable to think this group are only a few months into Pep's reign.

No, the main talking point is their work off the ball. It's entirely different to what it's been for a couple of seasons now.

SlickRic wrote: »
    No, the main talking point is their work off the ball. It's entirely different to what it's been for a couple of seasons now.

Clearly their compact shape out of possession is a huge difference but its the vibrancy in how they move the ball and the patterns which they are finding is most notable. Incredible given the relatively little time Pep has had to work with them but they are functioning already like a Guardiola team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Wow, it's going to be some Manc derby. City and Chelsea are looking like favourites for the title at this very early stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

City benefitting from Pep's intimate knowledge of nandrolone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

GreNoLi wrote: »
    City benefitting from Pep's intimate knowledge of nandrolone.

What are you saying that the team on drugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

City fan now? Finished with Bayern.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Clearly their compact shape out of possession is a huge difference but its the vibrancy in how they move the ball and the patterns which they are finding is most notable. Incredible given the relatively little time Pep has had to work with them but they are functioning already like a Guardiola team.

Yea it's the 16 and half double double triple pivots that I think is the difference

• Advertisement

Beautiful. I think even the most ardent Guardiola fan would have had doubts deep down about how Pepball would take root in England, a country renowned around the world for more than a hundred years for not being fertile land for the type of precise, technically skilled football long favoured on the continent and in South America. But these early games have been so much more than anyone could have hoped for. I know it's been said elsewhere but the impact this City team could have on the landscape of English football could be comparable to that of touring Argentine/Uruguayan sides in the early 20th century, the great Hungary side that humbled England, Brazil in the 70's and Germany in 2010.

Beautiful. I think even the most ardent Guardiola fan would have had doubts deep down about how Pepball would take root in England, a country renowned around the world for more than a hundred years for not being fertile land for the type of precise, technically skilled football long favoured on the continent and in South America. But these early games have been so much more than anyone could have hoped for. I know it's been said elsewhere but the impact this City team could have on the landscape of English football could be comparable to that of touring Argentine/Uruguayan sides in the early 20th century, the great Hungary side that humbled England, Brazil in the 70's and Germany in 2010.

Chelsea were as good yesterday. Yet I don't think one peep from you.

Didnt see the full game. Though I do like Conte a lot.

A win win situation.

Ah Ric you missed the chance......pep:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Didnt see the full game. Though I do like Conte a lot.

Weren't you a Chelsea fan recently?

The beautiful game in all it's simplicity on show there.

As great as Pep has them playing, he still can't see to figure out how to his last line of defence to defend properly.

His teams will always have that weakness that can be exploited.

City lack a bit of physicality.

• Advertisement

As great as Pep has them playing, he still can't see to figure out how to his last line of defence to defend properly.

He is just a rich mans Martinez basically

You do realise that if you play possession, proactive football then of course you are going to he caught for numbers at the back the odd time.

You do realise that if you play possession, proactive football then of course you are going to he caught for numbers at the back the odd time.

Yes I do. Obviously.

That had fúck all to do with a lack of numbers though.

Gesticular fortitude.

Yes I do. Obviously.

That had fúck all to do with a lack of numbers though.

Maybe it had to do with 1 of their centre backs being able to see out of 1 eye?

That goal didn't. They didn't stop the cross and Antonio bullied the full back.

• Advertisement

That goal didn't. They didn't stop the cross and Antonio bullied the full back.

Im more talking about the turnover of the ball that led to the goal.

Im more talking about the turnover of the ball that led to the goal.

And I'm talking about a Guardiola defence being weak at some of the basics of defending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Naughty Aguero

Kun being a cun.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

City spent a nine figure sum on defensive targets over very recent times and still can't keep a clean sheet.
    There is nothing special about what Pep has done so far.
    So far the GD is the same as United and Chelsea, and City have not yet secured the points today.

• Advertisement

And I'm talking about a Guardiola defence being weak at some of the basics of defending.

Id say that's a silly assessment of a coach who regularly posts some of the strongest defensive numbers of any coach at the top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

You do realise that if you play contact sport like football then of course you are not going to be able to see out of 1 eye the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

nasty elbow from aguero could get him in trouble later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Please God Aguero gets a ban for that elbow. Ref didn't see it so he should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Naughty Aguero

Wonder if the ref saw it and it's considered dealt with. Fairly nasty elbow

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

nasty elbow from aguero could get him in trouble later

Maybe he is looking to miss the United game again :pac:

City really haven't been that impressive at all yes they have won two and are winning this but those wins have come against a piss poor Sunderland and average Stoke where they got two very late goals and this game against an injury plagued West Ham.

Id say that's a silly assessment of a coach who regularly posts some of the strongest defensive numbers of any coach at the top level.

Those who coach the best teams normally do.

Tbh, if you think there's not a tendency for Guardiola teams to have a soft centre defensively, you're welcome to that opinion.

Those who coach the best teams normally do.

Tbh, if you think there's not a tendency for Guardiola teams to have a soft centre defensively, you're welcome to that opinion.

And if you think one of the most successful and influential football coaches ever neglects the basics of defending then you are welcome to that opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

West Ham have had the better of the second half. City were very good for the first 20 minutes but I think Bilic will be disappointed if they don't get a point here today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement