Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City v West Ham United - Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Pepball! Its been said elsewhere by far more notable people than I but the best day Sterling has had at Man City is the day Pep signed for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

City really haven't been that impressive at all yes they have won two and are winning this but those wins have come against a piss poor Sunderland and average Stoke where they got two very late goals and this game against an injury plagued West Ham.

They look good,remember its a new system there implementing,there winning games where they would have drawn or lost last season.
    That was nice by Sterling,if Rashford had done that would never hear the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Beautiful. I think even the most ardent Guardiola fan would have had doubts deep down about how Pepball would take root in England, a country renowned around the world for more than a hundred years for not being fertile land for the type of precise, technically skilled football long favoured on the continent and in South America. But these early games have been so much more than anyone could have hoped for. I know it's been said elsewhere but the impact this City team could have on the landscape of English football could be comparable to that of touring Argentine/Uruguayan sides in the early 20th century, the great Hungary side that humbled England, Brazil in the 70's and Germany in 2010.

AH seriously you me me smile sooooooo much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Early days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Pepball! Its been said elsewhere by far more notable people than I but the best day Sterling has had at Man City is the day Pep signed for City.
    Said it from day one. Sterling has unbelievable quality and any decent coach worth their salt will recognise it and not try to coach the natural ability out of his game. Allow a player like Sterling to express himself going forward and drop him in a team with other visionary players and he easily has the potential to be world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The first half was exceptional. City should've been 4 or 5 up at half time.

The second half was strange. A cross and a header out of the blue and West Ham had a shot at a point.

City showed some frailty that will have frustrated Pep. For 15 or 20 minutes City stopped playing quickly, stopped making angles and got caught on the counter as a result a few times to no avail.

When West Ham got desperate, and the game opened up, City looked great again. As you'd expect seen as they've the better players.

If West Ham weren't missing their best players things could've been very different. A third goal wasn't surprising.

The derby will be fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

They look good,remember its a new system there implementing,there winning games where they would have drawn or lost last season.
    That was nice by Sterling,if Rashford had done that would never hear the end of it.
    That is so true.
    :rolleyes:

Just back in the door after an afternoon in lovely Leitrim, so I haven't seen any of the game yet. By all accounts though, Sterling once again had a good game. As someone has already mentioned, having a good coach has worked wonders for the lad, who must have been at an all time low confidence-wise with the hammering the media gave him post Euro 16. We will need to up our game though, with the derby coming up in a fortnight. A sloppy 20-30 minutes like we apparently had after half time today could well cost us against them.

blueser wrote: »
    That is so true.
    :rolleyes:

And what if Fellaini did what Kun did you'd never here the end of it, hopefully he gets the 3 game ban he deserves for that

And what if Fellaini did what Kun did you'd never here the end of it, hopefully he gets the 3 game ban he deserves for that

Its a ban, 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Yup.

That's the attention that comes with playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

If he's done what he's been accused of doing (and apparently, the evidence is pretty damning) then yes, he deserves a ban.As I said earlier (which seems to have gone over your head), I haven't yet seen the game so I can only go by second hand information. Is that okay with you chief?

*edit* Just spotted this. 3 game ban. Stupid lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

If he's done what he's been accused of doing (and apparently, the evidence is pretty damning) then yes, he deserves a ban.As I said earlier (which seems to have gone over your head), I haven't yet seen the game so I can only go by second hand information. Is that okay with you chief?

You haven't seen the game yet you agree with a post saying if Rashford had done what Sterling done you'd never hear the end of it? Very strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

One is the most expensive English player of all time thats been playing at the top level for 3 or 4 years, it shouldn't be a big deal when he actually manages to come close to living up to his transfer fee.

Or its a massive conspiracy against poor City.

Who knows, eh.

Jayop wrote: »
    You haven't seen the game yet you agree with a post saying if Rashford had done what Sterling done you'd never hear the end of it? Very strange
    Not at all. If you actually took the bother to read what I said, Sterling had an apparently good game (confirmed by Jamie Redknapp on the Sky Sports app; his MOTM), and that the finish for one of the goals was top notch. You can make certain assumptions when several media reports have praised Sterling's performance today. Are they all wrong? If they are, my humble apologies.

Not at all. If you actually took the bother to read what I said, Sterling had an apparently good game (confirmed by Jamie Redknapp on the Sky Sports app; his MOTM), and that the finish for one of the goals was top notch. You can make certain assumptionS when several media reports have praised Sterling's performance today. Are they all wrong? If they are, my humble apologies.

So what's the problem? You're insinuating that had Rashford done what sterling done he'd be getting lavished with praise and you're using the fact that sterling has been lavished with praise to back it up.

Do you realise how much of a contradictory standpoint that is?

• Advertisement

Not as if Kun goes and does things like that every game while Fellaini on the other hand is rough and awkard and im my opinion gets away with alot of his tackles and fouls.

So what's the problem? You're insinuating that had Rashford done what sterling done he'd be getting lavished with praise and you're using the fact that sterling has been lavished with praise to back it up.

Do you realise how much of a contradictory standpoint that is?
    There's no problem.And, if you read the thread, you'll see that I wasn't the one who made the original comment. All I did was make a simple throwaway comment agreeing with it, yet it's only me you seem to be taking issue with. If it's upset you THAT much, I apologise for that.

Not as if Kun goes and does things like that every game while Fellaini on the other hand is rough and awkard and im my opinion gets away with alot of his tackles and fouls.

Ye had a great win today I was surprised a couple of you dragged a United player into the conversation so I thought I'd balance. I guess I shouldnt have expected more from the noisy neighbours

One is the most expensive English player of all time thats been playing at the top level for 3 or 4 years, it shouldn't be a big deal when he actually manages to come close to living up to his transfer fee.

Or its a massive conspiracy against poor City.

Who knows, eh.
    One is 19 and other is 21,Sterling been nailed in the press while Rashford scores one goal from the bench and is hailed the next Messiah,while Sterling been close to being MOTM last 3 or 4 games scoring and assisiting and barely hear a thing,but when the England squad fail at the Euros Sterling name is high on the list to be named and shamed.

Ye had a great win today I was surprised a couple of you dragged a United player into the conversation so I thought I'd balance. I guess I shouldnt have expected more from the noisy neighbours

I didnt drag Fellaini name into this,I was replying to a poster who did,which I presume is a United supporter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

One is 19 and other is 21,Sterling been nailed in the press while Rashford scores one goal from the bench and is hailed the next Messiah,while Sterling been close to being MOTM last 3 or 4 games scoring and assisiting and barely hear a thing,but when the England squad fail at the Euros Sterling name is high on the list to be named and shamed.

Rashford is 18. Came through the academy and burst on to the scene out of nowhere really.

Sterling is an experienced PL footballer and the most expensive English player in history. Bit of a difference there.

And Rooney and Beckham have been the fall guys for England in the past. There's no conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I didnt drag Fellaini name into this,I was replying to a poster who did,which I presume is a United supporter.

I presume they are talking about Rashford being brought into it..

Rashford is 18 with 12 league appearances and 6 goals.

Sterling is 21, has 129 league appearances and 26 goals.

He also cost £50m and behaved pretty shabbilly when forcing through his move from LFC.

There is the world of difference between the two so I don't know why you would bring Rashford up when talking about Sterling.

Playing well in a couple of games is the minimum Sterling should be doing.

Rashford is 18 with 12 league appearances and 6 goals.

Sterling is 21, has 129 league appearances and 26 goals.

He also cost £50m and behaved pretty shabbilly when forcing through his move from LFC.

There is the world of difference between the two so I don't know why you would bring Rashford up when talking about Sterling.

Playing well in a couple of games is the minimum Sterling should be doing.

I brought Rashford into because there similar both young highly rated English players that play for top tier teams in the PL.
    Whats his transfer fee and the way it played out got to do with it anyway.

astradave wrote: »
    I presume they are talking about Rashford being brought into it..

Thats fair enough my bad.

I brought Rashford into because there similar both young highly rated English players that play for top tier teams in the PL.

They're not similar at all. You can't compare a teenager with a handful of games to a record signing with over a hundred games under his belt.

You complained that Sterling got grief from the media.

Part of why he got grief is because of how he behaved to get his move and because one would expect a player moving for £50m to play well in a minimum of 50% to 60% of the games he is involved in. Sterling last season was more or less consistently poor and did not look like a £20m player never mind a £50m one.

So his price tag and how he got he moved has a huge amount to do with how he is portrayed in the media.

Its bizarre I have to spell it out.

Rashford is a young man that has taken the opportunity presented to him and is rightly getting plaudits for his performances. This time last year he was playing with the youth team.

Its par for the course with the English media that they hype up "the next big thing", it happened with Fowler, Owen, Rooney.

Its not some clandestine plot by the press to undermine City.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sterling PL history:
    Games played 129
    Goals scored 26
    Assists 25
    Minutes played 9240

Rashford PL history:
    Games played 12
    Goals scored 6
    Assists 2
    Minutes played 880

Sterling has played 10.5 times the number of minutes Rashford has in the PL.
    It will be interesting to see if Rashford keeps his high level up, he is very well grounded and the competition at United is tough but he is on target if he keeps it up to be England's best player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Sterling wasn't remotely as bad last year as he was made out to be. He was fine, and thats about all to be expected when joining a new team.

One was in the united u17 team last year, the other was sold for 50 million pounds and did jack ****, its no surprise that when you fail to live up to your price tag over the span of 50 games plus an atrocious world cup where you have been slated in the media, they're not suddenly going to forget what they've wrote all year and put him up on a pedestal.

As for the two players, I know who id rather have in my team.

• Advertisement

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Sterling wasn't remotely as bad last year as he was made out to be. He was fine, and thats about all to be expected when joining a new team.

Not for 50 million mate, sorry! On that basis Di Maria was "FINE" for united, he was actually leading assists in the premier league at the time the drama broke, he was still touted as a complete and utter failure by 99% of those you ask, why?

65 million pounds, you should be buying more than fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Nasty Nasty

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Nasty Nasty

Silly silly boy, 6 match ban incoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Not a hope he is going to get done for that and if he does its a joke.

Not a hope he is going to get done for that and if he does its a joke.

Swing an elbow at a players face, miss and thump him with your hand on the throat. Explain how it would be a joke if he gets banned for that?

Fellaini got 3 games last season for the same thing after having the hair pulled from him. Aguero did this for no apparent reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The united fans in fairness to them have lots of experience of players throwing elbows.

Olde Elbows Felanai springs to mind ;)

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The united fans in fairness to them have lots of experience of players throwing elbows.

And we don't defend it. See any time he does it we slate him big time. It's a moronic thing to do.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »

Is that because you read the post above?

And we don't defend it. See any time he does it we slate him big time. It's a moronic thing to do.

Some try to but most of the United fans hate him doing it.

I'm just joking anyway. Should be a three game ban as it was intentional.

Swing an elbow at a players face, miss and thump him with your hand on the throat. Explain how it would be a joke if he gets banned for that?

Fellaini got 3 games last season for the same thing after having the hair pulled from him. Aguero did this for no apparent reason.

That's not what happened. Reid is all over agueros back. He then jumps using his hands as leverage which is a totally natural way of jumping.He didn't aim an elbow at a players face and if he did of course he should be banned.

That's not what happened. Reid is all over agueros back. He then jumps using his hands as leverage which is a totally natural way of jumping.He didn't aim an elbow at a players face and if he did of course he should be banned.

Ah here. Surely you're taking the piss now. It was as intentional as you could see.

Ah here. Surely you're taking the piss now. It was as intentional as you could see.

Did u look at the clip above. I don't see anything in that to warrant a ban.

Look at the video posted above. You can clearly see Sergio look to see where Reid is at 5 seconds and then throws the elbow.

• Advertisement

Couple of angles here.
    Hard to say there's no intent to elbow him there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Clutching at straws with the whole intent thing tbh.

Burial. wrote: »
    Clutching at straws with the whole intent thing tbh.

Do you even watch football? It's all about intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Take it this is about augero and his swing. Just saw it this morning. Straight red all day long .

Charged by the FA
    Obviously

• Advertisement
Advertisement