Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque Inquiry

Options
  • 28-08-2016 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, 

I recently lodged a cheque at the bank. However, it was an American cheque sent by a relative and I was told to wait for up to six weeks before the cheque would clear in my account. It has now been about eight weeks and so I was wondering if I should expect to wait much longer or if there may be a problem?

Thanks, Rebecca! 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

BexC wrote: »
    Hi, 

I recently lodged a cheque at the bank. However, it was an American cheque sent by a relative and I was told to wait for up to six weeks before the cheque would clear in my account. It has now been about eight weeks and so I was wondering if I should expect to wait much longer or if there may be a problem?

Thanks, Rebecca! 
    Good Morning Rebecca, 

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie, sorry to hear this has not cleared for you yet. You will need to contact the branch directly in relation to this and they can trace this. To do this you can send a message through the Online Service Desk 'Ask A Question' service they will investigate this further and arrange a callback to update you. 

Alternatively you can call our reps on 0818365365 option 2 then 4 ( From ROI-there is a bank holiday in Northern Ireland, but their contact number is 03457365555) 

Thanks, 
    Evie 

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hennesm

Sorry, just tagging onto this . I lodged a sterling cheque with Ulster bank on the 29th September . It was essentially a bank draft as it was a refund of ppi when I lived in the UK. I was initially told 2-4 weeks . I have since querie it and been told it will now take 6-8 weeks . It's basically placed in a queue and there is no bank mechanism for this so essentially it waits to be salt with . Now the whole getting the funds cleared thing I get but in view of the spiralling sterling rate and the fact that Ulster bank have a uk business I do not understand why it takes so long and more importantly why it can't be traced / tracked . At what point do I know that it hasn't been lost in this archaic paper system . Also as a customer and in view of the spiralling rates why is there no mechanism for speeding up the process ( an express service as such that could be paid for ) . The cheque is for 7000 , drawn by a uk high street bank . I cannot und rstand what part of the process would necessitate 8 weeks . Unless it's being taken on foot via Holyhead . The lack of customer service is astonishing . I keep being referred back to the branch , who are helpful but have no control or way of tracking anything so it's unfair to keep asking them . 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

Hennesm wrote: »
    Sorry, just tagging onto this . I lodged a sterling cheque with Ulster bank on the 29th September . It was essentially a bank draft as it was a refund of ppi when I lived in the UK. I was initially told 2-4 weeks . I have since querie it and been told it will now take 6-8 weeks . It's basically placed in a queue and there is no bank mechanism for this so essentially it waits to be salt with . Now the whole getting the funds cleared thing I get but in view of the spiralling sterling rate and the fact that Ulster bank have a uk business I do not understand why it takes so long and more importantly why it can't be traced / tracked . At what point do I know that it hasn't been lost in this archaic paper system . Also as a customer and in view of the spiralling rates why is there no mechanism for speeding up the process ( an express service as such that could be paid for ) . The cheque is for 7000 , drawn by a uk high street bank . I cannot und rstand what part of the process would necessitate 8 weeks . Unless it's being taken on foot via Holyhead . The lack of customer service is astonishing . I keep being referred back to the branch , who are helpful but have no control or way of tracking anything so it's unfair to keep asking them . 
    Good Morning Hennesm, 

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie I am sorry that you were misinformed about the timeframe, the correct timeframe for a non Euro cheque is 6-8 weeks. I am sorry that you have not received sufficient follow ups on this but our branch cannot expedite this process.

Apologies,

Evie  

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hennesm

Thanks for replying Evie . However it was Ulster bank not yourselves . I on,y realised after I had posted . You have been far more helpful than them as they still cannot tell me where my draft is . 

Advertisement