Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will new racing bike make big difference

Options
  • 28-08-2016 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I use my ~10 year old second hand €150 bike to cycle ~15mins to work. Will a brand new road bike be a massive difference or just a slight improvement? As in, would the €1000 bikes hold a massive difference over an old Raleigh Activator type bike?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

For a 15 minute cycle, you might save about 2 or 3 minutes depending on the traffic. The cycle will probably be much nicer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It will probably make little to no difference on your commute.

However if it looks nice and rides nice you might be more inclined to get out on it on weekends etc.

Plus who doesn't love a new toy to play with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

As in, would the €1000 bikes hold a massive difference over an old Raleigh Activator type bike?

Yes, unfortunately, in terms of its appeal to a thief. Make sure you have somewhere secure to keep it both at home and work and a good quality lock.

On a more optimistic note, as others have pointed out, you will enjoy your cycle more and soon end up posting about your cycling exploits here 😊

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd suggest that if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, spend €50 on having the bike serviced and you'll get *far* better value than spending money on a new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 teatreeshamble

yeah, i generally get it service every now and then by the Polish chap guy on bolton st - sound and does a decent job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

yeah, i generally get it service every now and then by the Polish chap guy on bolton st - sound and does a decent job

Agree with that. He's a gent.

Advertisement