Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best footwear for Urban walking

Options
  • 28-08-2016 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Just looking for some advice-

I'm getting my fitness in walking home from work. It' just over 11km, and I'm doing it 4/5 days a week. I've been wearing hiking boots for years and really love them (on my third pair of Comet). Problem is that the soles on these really don't last over the sort of terrain walking through the city.

Anyone any advice on what's the best to wear in this environment? I'll be keeping it up during rougher weather so don't think running shoes are what I'm looking for, I also like a good bit of ankle support- would the best thing be to get hiking boots re-soled, or are there some other type/make of shoe or boot that would be better for this terrain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Is this just street/pavement walking that you will be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Garathon

Yeah mostly urban at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Absolutely anything I would have thought. Whatever is most comfortable for you. Maybe waterprood running shoes/trainers if you want something light, but that would be reasonable for an Irish winter. Anything will wear down if you use it enough.

If you have weak ankles then ankle support will probably ensure they stay weak or get weaker. The way to stenghten muscles is to use them, not let them waste away.

Advertisement