Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trade or not

• 28-08-2016 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

I have a 2005 Seat Altea 2.0TDI which has about 230,000 miles on it now, its been an absolute gem of a car reliability wise and even now the drive is still great, and I enjoy driving it.

This year it passed the NCT with just a minor issue, a number plate bulb.

I just picked up an SMAX for the family on the chape tax, and I don't really do the mileage to justify another diesel (I get a train to work) and have done for the past number of years, the Altea was the family car.

I guess at this stage I should really be thinking about moving it on, and have seen a nice 07 focus petrol, that would be suitable for my needs but its about 5k which seems a lot, but its low mileage and taxed till march.

Is that a lot for a focus, and being realistic what could the altea fetch as a trade in against it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Your Altea sounds like a great motor, why change at all? It's reliable, you know the history and it's tax is only marginally more expensive than the focus you're looking to replace it with. It sounds like you don't need a diesel for what it will be used for, but since you have it I just don't see the reason to change! Keep the Altea for a year longer and see where you are maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Your Altea sounds like a great motor, why change at all? It's reliable, you know the history and it's tax is only marginally more expensive than the focus you're looking to replace it with. It sounds like you don't need a diesel for what it will be used for, but since you have it I just don't see the reason to change! Keep the Altea for a year longer and see where you are maybe?

Those petrol focuses wouldn't be renowned for their reliability or speed. Keep the altea and spend the money on a nice holiday or a bumper Santa this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

yeah I guess i could run it for another year and it might be good to have a backup to the Smax just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You wouldn't get much at all for your own, it's hard enough to offload something with 100k miles on it, 200k miles will be a token €1000 or something, worth far more than that to you. I'd keep it until a major part goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

My mantra when dealing with cars around the 10 year old mark is 'better the divil you know'... could be buying a world of trouble and offloading a reliable motor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Keep what you have is my opinion. As a trade-in it's worth very little and spending 3.5k or 4k to come up 2 years to an inferior car and you're going to be using the car a lot less doesn't make much financial sense to me. You also know your current car and it's history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What you'd save in tax buying the smaller engine Focus you'd lose in the higher fuel costs especially if it's a 1.4 focus and that's not even taking into consideration the initial outlay buying the Focus. Keep the Altea and drive it till it dies, even with the higher tax it'll work out cheaper to run over the course of a year than the focus.

Advertisement