Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crate for bike wanted - not expensive

Options
  • 28-08-2016 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to get a crate for the back of my bike (to go on the carrier).

They seem to be about €40 from what I can see online. Which seems a bit crazy considering it's just a crate tied on with cable ties.

Anyone know anything else people do...i.e. where would I acquire a crate/box that would work on a bike.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thank you!

I know that one, but it is too small.

Something bigger I need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

amdublin wrote: »
    Thank you!

I know that one, but it is too small.

Something bigger I need

In one of the various shops I was in over the weekend - Lidl, Aldi and Supervalu - a guy was clearing away big sturdy plastic crates used for stacking vegetables, maybe 60cm or 70cm by 50cm or 60cm. It might be worth taking a wander around, and then talking to the manager, seeing if you could buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

What about a metal shopping basket?

Another thought: I think Tiger sometimes sells big squashy but rigid-ish plastic laundry or storage… umm… buckets? with airholes; they're awfully pink or lilac, but might do the job (you might have to put a couple of fixing holes in using a red-hot poker).
    On the other hand, if it's just the ability to carry lots of stuff generally, I find that a handlebar bag by Reisenthel will take most shopping trips'-worth of groceries, occasionally aided by ancient but still sturdy Carradice pannier bags. (I should mention that while the Carradice thick cotton duck panniers are €120, mine are, I suppose, around 30 years old now, and are only now starting to have the odd hole in the bottom.)

http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=type&product_id=22

• Advertisement

Yes if I could find something in tiger that would do I'd be happy.

I have a shopping basket somewhere in the house, i think I'll try that. My bike is silver so should blend in.

I have panniers. But I don't like the look of them. Plus if don't have supports going down from carrier to wheel bracket so I'm afraid the corner of the panniers will get caught in the wheels.

amdublin wrote: »
    I have panniers. But I don't like the look of them. Plus if don't have supports going down from carrier to wheel bracket so I'm afraid the corner of the panniers will get caught in the wheels.

Yeah, they would. I don't mind the look, associate it with happy days camping around the fields of Ireland on long leisurely cycles, but I'd certainly change the back carrier if I wanted panniers.

I have low-rider front panniers somewhere in the attic, and the frame for them is still on the bike; if I ever find them I'll sell them. They hold too little for my uses.

Another place you could try is the Oasis plant shop on the way from Harold's Cross to Terenure (on a corner on the right, beside a music shop that has a giant piano keyboard painted on the wall). They kindly sold me a nice plastic carry-basket, the kind used in the shop for people to bring the plants they've bought to the cash desk, and it is used by one of our household as a laundry basket. They didn't charge me a whole lot for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I'm sure the op got sorted months ago, but I saw this and was reminded of this thread - http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/large-wood-basket-xmas-hamper-xmas-eve-box-etc-2-83-c-c-homebase-2524797

Homebase in my experience have the same stock as in the U.K. - the direct link to the Homebase site - http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/large-wood-basket-432887

Paddy

Advertisement