Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spokes pinging on climbs

Options
  • 28-08-2016 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭

I've noticed over the last couple of spins that the spokes on the rear wheel are pinging when I'm struggling on climbs. They are Mavic Askim wheels. Should I be worried?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Could be the rear mech tipping the spoke

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yes - if you are struggling up the hills you are presumably on the lowest gear and if the rear mech is slightly misaligned it can catch the spokes. You may be able to straighten it a little, in which case the issue should hopefully disappear

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I've had this before where it's dirt caught between the spokes, but I'm not sure if Askiums have any crossover? I know a good clean and spray of WD40 between the spokes cured it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I must examine the spokes to see if I see any scratches as evidence of the rear mech touching them. The bike is due a good clean too so I'll be doing that too. I really should have washed it before yesterdays spin but I was feeling lazy. As always thanks for the assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my ksyrium sl's always used to do that never seemed to cause a problem had them 6years . replaced with zondas now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

I'd look at the flux capacitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

s8n wrote: »
    I'd look at the flux capacitor

The engine certainly is a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Have had this my self with various aksiums , ksyriums amd Zipp wheels. It can be dirt build up were the spoke contacts the hub. It can also be dry nipples after cleaning the wheels when you get an alkaline build up from detergent on the spoke and nipple threads. Spray some PTFE spray into a small container and dab the nipples or spoke contact area in hub with a cotton bud after dipping it in the PTFE spray .

Thought this was a bit strange when first told to do this myself ,but it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

All Aksium and Ksyrium Equipe wheels do this. Nothing to worry about.
    Ksyrium Elite and above don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If your Rear Derailler is touching the spokes...i wouldn't put that on the long finger. If it does catch the spokes your looking at a new Rear Derailler and a new wheel!
    Regardless of what wheels you have, the rear derailler should not touch the spokes under any circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Could it be a loose spoke or spokes? I had this with Oval concepts wheels. Pinging under pressure when climbing. I tightened my spoke and triued my wheels and it was gone.

If your rear mech is touching your spokes, the wheel may be dished and you need a special jig to check the dishing.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement