Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil leaking from exhaust? Choke has little to no effect..

• 28-08-2016 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Right so I have an Aprilia RS125 07 2 stroke that I just bought last week and im waiting to finish my IBT but I started her up the other day just to explore the bike and learn my way around it. But since then right where the connection to the muffler begins its been leaking oil. its didnt do this for the 24 hours previous to me starting it. Its 100% black oil not unburned fuel.

To add to this the choke seems to have zero and I do mean 0 effect on the bike. I let it run for 10 minutes with the choke on full and it still idled at 500RPM.... I closed the choke and no change... I have no clue whats going on im very much new to the bike scene... any advise.

Lastly my coolant looks like **** water to be blunt about it. Would you say that is just because its need to be drained or could I have a bigger problem on my hands?

Thanks for anyone who can help on any of these issues.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Hiya JG, a 9 yr old two stroke...... I would not be surprised if there was some slight seepage were the exhaust bolts on to the cylinder port. It sounds like the choke might be stuck on from your description. Maybe have a look for Aprilia 125 owners clubs and forums...... e.g http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?71-2009-RS125-USA

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?94442-Oil-Leak-Rs-125-1999

http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=255492

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

It may be that the fuelling is too rich. Has the jetting in the carb been changed?
    A good start would be to clean/replace the air filter and use good 2T oil.
    A long run at high revs may help clear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You might not want to hear this but a small 2t in a fairly high state of tune is not a great beginner bike.
    These need a fairly high level of care and attention to run correctly and reliably.
    The oil leaking out from the expansion chamber to muffler is common to all two stroke bikes, its a byproduct of the fact that the engine burns oil with the fuel.
    It might just need a sealing gasket to stop it.

You need to get the fuelling sorted properly, If you haven't much experience around carbs then you need to get someone who is competent to look at it for you.
    Lastly the coolant should be a proper coolant not water, coolant does more than just cool the engine, it actually helps prevent corrosion inside the coolant circuit.
    Any decent motorcycle shop should be able to sell you proper motorcycle coolant compatible with your bike, Car stuff is different in many cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not a solution to the issues you mentioned, but no harm to fit a new spark plug, and always carry a spare.

Check the choke linkage, and the air filter.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement