Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike Front Wheel Problem

Options
  • 28-08-2016 8:59pm

Hey people I just bought a new Carrera subway from Halfords for commuting. The problem with the bike is when i bought the bike the front wheel release lever was very loose and the wheel felt not secured properly. I tightened the leaver until i got a little resistance when I push down to tighten it but when I do this the front wheel barely moves when spun and squeaks really loudly :(

I brought the bike back to Halfords and he said that the front wheel lever should be loose and there should be no resistance when I am pushing it in, should there be resistance when pushing the lever in and are halfords taking the mick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

There should be some resistance on the quick release skewer alright when pushing it into a locked position.
    If it was loose you could hit a decent pothole and the wheel would fall off (extreme but scary example).

When you loosen the skewer, push down on the bike and then tighten the skewer are the brake pads touching the wheel by any chance? I had this with a Halfords bike a few years back. It might just be a case of needing to move the brakes, and tighten them in the new position.

Before adjusting the brake position, release the quick release on the brakes themselves and spin the wheel. Does it wobble side to side or spin nicely.

brianomc wrote: »
    There should be some resistance on the quick release skewer alright when pushing it into a locked position.
    If it was loose you could hit a decent pothole and the wheel would fall off (extreme but scary example).

When you loosen the skewer, push down on the bike and then tighten the skewer are the brake pads touching the wheel by any chance? I had this with a Halfords bike a few years back. It might just be a case of needing to move the brakes, and tighten them in the new position.

Before adjusting the brake position, release the quick release on the brakes themselves and spin the wheel. Does it wobble side to side or spin nicely.

Yeah the guy in Halfords at the bike hut said that the lever is supposed to be loose :( the wheel was kind of wobbling side to side a small bit, I told him when i tighten the leever there is a screeching sound and he said just dont tighten the lever :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as a rough guide to how tight it is, would a small child be able to open it at the setting he is recommending?
    if so, i'd go back and ask to speak to a manager...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

the guy in Halfords
    Problem identified.

endacl wrote: »
    Problem identified.

:pac:

Is this problem fixable myself? I have fixed a range of stuff before but never a bike.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Problem identified.

Could it be something is actually broke or the bike is just not assembled properly?

Probably fixable yourself with a set of allen keys.
    Can you tighten the skewer and then take a photo of the wheel from the front and post it up here showing the skewer all the way up to above the brake pads?

Can you tighten the skewer and then take a photo of the wheel from the front and post it up here showing the skewer all the way up to above the brake pads?

I can, I'll go do it and post back in a little while when i can figure out what I am doing :pac: cheers

They are disc brakes does this make a difference?

Ah right, then you need someones help that isn't me unfortunately. Sorry. I misread the type of carrera bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

More than likely either halfords guy or you pulled the brake lever with the wheel out and narrowed the gap on the pads.

Plenty of clips on you tube describing how to align disc brakes.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/how-to-align-disc-brake-calipers-32591/

The skewer should be tight enough so as to leave a temporary mark on your hand when closing. It should not be loose.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    More than likely either halfords guy or you pulled the brake lever with the wheel out and narrowed the gap on the pads.

Plenty of clips on you tube describing how to align disc brakes.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/how-to-align-disc-brake-calipers-32591/

The skewer should be tight enough so as to leave a temporary mark on your hand when closing. It should not be loose.

Only reason I went near the bike was because the lever was literally hanging unfastened, I didn't go near anything until then and i read up online what to do, I was told to fasten until it leaves a mark in my hand when tightening and that is what i did. After that there was a horrible sound when the wheel went around and the wheel doesn't spin much at all.

Thanks for hte help people, I will try fix it in the morning and ask for help if you nice people would be so kind :) Its a tad annoying that I went back the second time and he fobbed me off saying the ever is supposed to be loose and the wheel was literally wobbling a bit, that could have caused an accident.

Would I be better off going back to halfords or just fixing it myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The screeching is being caused by the rotor rubbing of the brake pads.

With the front wheel positioned correctly pull the brake lever firmly this might realign the pads.

Bring it back to halfords bur not to the individual that told you to leave the skewer loose. I'd also consider a complaint to the store manager for such care less advice

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The screeching is being caused by the rotor rubbing of the brake pads.

With the front wheel positioned correctly pull the brake lever firmly this might realign the pads.

Bring it back to halfords bur not to the individual that told you to leave the skewer loose. I'd also consider a complaint to the store manager for such care less advice

Yeah I am planning to learn how to look after my bike for myself and I am really broke so I got the carrera subway cause its the best I can afford. I live in a small apartment so I don't have much real room to actually work on the bike, I'll bring the bike up to halfords tomorrow and see what they say, ill ask for a manager rather than asking the bike guy again. What qualifications do they need to work there?

Advertisement