Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat spot on wheel fubar? Pics included

Options
  • 28-08-2016 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭

So my lard ass rolled over a pothole on the 531 racer. Wheel is a lovely vintage mavic rim attached to vintage 105 freehub. I'm emigrating next week for work and the bike is coming with me. So it'd be nice if this is repairable rather than source a 7 speed 126mm wheel in the next week...

Wheel has a noticeable flat spot and the spoke beneath the flat spot is very loose.

29264005506_b78eec1369_c.jpg

29189817252_7b03d63b45_c.jpg

29009453010_06b6846da0_c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

That rim looks unrepairable to me, there is no real way to pull the spot out and even then it will probably crack at the nipple.
    The rim depth looks pretty standard Mavic so you should be able to replace the rim with the likes of an open pro and get it built back up with the current spokes/hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

As I feared. Do Mavic still do 36h rims anymore?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

According to CRC, yes

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/mavic-open-pro-clincher-road-rim-2016/rp-prod140748

I like how unimpressed the cat looks. That's a proper cat look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

You can pick up a 36h Ryde Chrina for 18 euro - good alternative to the Open Pro

I'll bring it into bikeworx in the morning and see what they suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Weepsie wrote: »

I like how unimpressed the cat looks. That's a proper cat look

I agree the cat is less than impressed with the offering given to it by
    its human...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

I think the only solution is a new bike ;)

Wheels getting rebuilt this week. Beyond repair sadly.

I think I'll swap out the tyres for a 25mm tyre.
    A bit more cushioning for the rough roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Wheels getting rebuilt this week. Beyond repair sadly.

I think I'll swap out the tyres for a 25mm tyre.
    A bit more cushioning for the rough roads.

If you want more comfort, you could consider a wider rim also, hplus tb 14 in silver would look nice on an older bike

ford2600 wrote: »
    If you want more comfort, you could consider a wider rim also, hplus tb 14 in silver would look nice on an older bike

I'd say a wider rim would be pushing for clearance with the narrow brakes. I'll test it out, I've a spare rim but It's laced with a freewheel rather than a freehub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Do you mind me asking what it is costing? Is it a really good wheel? I never thought of building a wheel back up with new rim, wondering if it only makes sense when the wheel is decent enough quality.

That cat looks a little menacing....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

thats cats looks guilty as hell

Advertisement