Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening Morning.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭clivej

I'll be out early for deer on the first. I've never shot for feather, even though I have 2 shotguns (used for target shooting)

Checked over all my gear yesterday, polished up my boots (once a year), and checked the 200y zero is good on my Sako 75 at the last bullseye shoot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Will be hitting the deer as, like yourself, i don't have much time for feathered shooting anymore.

Guns all zeroed over the last couple of weeks, geared checked and cleaned and alarm already set.

I normally don't panic too much with the first day, but with bad weather forecast for the end of the week i thought i'd hit the first as i may not get a chance till next week.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JOhnty78

Will pick a nice quiet spot to get out after duck for a few hours in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nigelm485

The usual up half 4 and wait for the first few shots to go off. Then get herself and the dog in boat for a day on the Derg. Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Still waiting t hear from a lad about a morning grouse hunt. But not getting me hopes up. He mentioned it while a few pints of Guinness were floating on his liver so.
    If not il go up and see if an oul duck might fly over. Seen 4 up my way last week in a small flooded field so I might hit that if the grouse falls through.

• Advertisement

Also one or two fields if Dano ground that holds a snipe or two so may hit that. All I'm missing is a poxy dog. I'd nearly take the neighbours jack russel at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭German pointer

Work related training for 3 days starting Wednesday morning so that's my opening day knackered

Ah balls. You'll probably get out over the weekend?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bunnystalker

Well the very best of luck to yea,s lads.
    I will be sitting beside the letter box waiting for the postman. I do have everything else ready. Just waiting for the bit of paper. Phoned up yesterday , and was told they are still on the July applications . I sent mine in the first week of July. So hopefully it arrives soon . :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭ESB Spaniel

Well lads best of luck to everyone be it deer or ducks.... I will be hitting a few of the rivers and ponds around my home town, hope to get a few for my pup coming on. Anyway hope ye all have a great day and safe shooting lads.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

Still waiting on mine. I posted it in mid June, phoned yesterday and they said it hasn't been processed yet.

How hard can it be to re-issue licences to someone who is applying on the same Folio numbers with the last 7yrs. The whole process is very frustrating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 countryhunt

Myself and the brother will be hitting the local lakes and rivers in the hope of getting a shot at a few duck. Unfortunately any duck I've seen hasn't been around here, and was on larger lakes. Will knock a bit of craic out of it anyway. Best of luck lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Best of luck to all, be it fur or feather, be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭stevep1018

Not long now till bambi sacrifices itself for my table.only my second year of stalking so I'm like an excited kid.best of luck to anybody else in the same boat and be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wishing you all a "Waidmannsheil"[German for happy hunting] in the season tomorrow.Whether it is for fur or feather.Aim small,miss small,shoot straight and above all shoot SAFE!
    Grizzly 45

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Woodcock shot

I'll chance the duck pond this evening,
    I have it well fed the last month, one or two to get me off the mark will do me nicely, best of luck too all & safe shooting

Out this morning and while i seen a few there was no shot as nothing was legal. Stayed for a while and tracked them then moved onto another permission close by, but nothing moving.

Still another 6 months to go so plenty of time. However there is tree felling happening close by. I had this a few years back and it all but ruined my season. So i'm hoping that it won't be a repeat.

How did others get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fabwing

I went for a duck this morning, when i came home my deer license arrived in the post, such timing,i only shoot three or four a year plenty of time to get a few deer, and keep an eye on the poachers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭clivej

Got a nice pricket, 100y shot & 200y drag, 1 mile walk back to the van. Saw him just at daybreak so the light was only just OK. Great start to the season.

clivej wrote: »
    Got a nice pricket, 100y shot & 200y drag, 1 mile walk back to the van. Saw him just at daybreak so the light was only just OK. Great start to the season.

Not one bit jealous ............. Alright maybe just a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭stevep1018

Nothing but doe's and calves,does and calves.just one stag in my honey hole but as he is the same size as my stag from last year I will leave him till next year .hopefully he will survive.disappointing evening on the weather front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭ESB Spaniel

Got out yesterday for a few hours yesterday shot 5 Mallard....Great day, posted in the photos thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Cass wrote: »

Still another 6 months to go so plenty of time. However there is tree felling happening close by. I had this a few years back and it all but ruined my season. So i'm hoping that it won't be a repeat.

How did others get on?

Yeah, some tree felling has ruined my season this year also. Unfortunately the tree in question landed on yours truly and has put me out of action for the next 6 months or so. :(:(:(

Safe shooting everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Padc

Posted mine mid May and still not back. The father posted his in January and got it end of April. Its ridiculous

Advertisement