Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease termination

Options
  • 28-08-2016 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Quick question, if the landlord puts you on termination notice, can you leave anytime after they serve the notice, or do you need to provide them with notice? Just say you get 84 days notice from landlord, if you are fortunate to find a place 4 weeks after notice is served, can you tell the landlord you are going and leave by the last day of next rental month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

With mutual agreement yes. Other than that , no

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

With mutual agreement yes. Other than that , no

So we can't just leave during the notice period they've given us?? We have to stay until notice expires?
    Say they give us 112 days notice, are we required to give 84 days notice that we are moving within that 112 days?? I'm a bit confused?

Yes you do have to stay unless you mutually agree to waive the notice period. Otherwise you are required to pay the rent till the end of the statutory notice period.

There aren't 2 notice periods only one, which in your original post is 84 days from date of notice.

If you want to leave earlier than 84 days then discuss to see if your landlord will agree. But, no, they don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

not completely correct. how long are you in the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

thalia_13 wrote: »
    Quick question, if the landlord puts you on termination notice, can you leave anytime after they serve the notice, or do you need to provide them with notice? Just say you get 84 days notice from landlord, if you are fortunate to find a place 4 weeks after notice is served, can you tell the landlord you are going and leave by the last day of next rental month?
    Forget all the legalities that other posters have provided or are going to provide. I am a landlord in Ireland and I never hassled tenants for exact termination notices established in law: it is just bad business! My strong suggestion: pick up the phone and call your landlord or his letting agent. Tell them that you need to leave sooner and if needed you will let viewings happen at agreed times. In the current climate the landlord /agent will have a new tenant lined up in less than a week. I usually always agree to 10-14 days notices from tenants.

• Advertisement

Forget them? No point forgetting them as they are the law. Bu just ask your Landlord if you can agree a mutually beneficial shorter term.
    GGTrek wrote: »
    thalia_13 wrote: »
    Forget all the legalities that other posters have provided or are going to provide. I am a landlord in Ireland and I never hassled tenants for exact termination notices established in law: it is just bad business! My strong suggestion: pick up the phone and call your landlord or his letting agent. Tell them that you need to leave sooner and if needed you will let viewings happen at agreed times. In the current climate the landlord /agent will have a new tenant lined up in less than a week. I usually always agree to 10-14 days notices from tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

It will be part of the termination clause, 84 days or shorter as mutually agreed with Landlord.

As others have said, pick up the phone and tell them, you gave us 84 days notice, we have something else, can we go. Any reasonable landlord will say yes, otherwise you miss your new house then they run the risk of you not leaving on day 84 and having to evict you !!!

Advertisement